Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, the only people with ableg to stand on are the people who've bought new CPU's since manufacturers became aware.
    Even then, there's not fuckall going to happen.

Addressing everyone getting worked up; what are you going to do about it? Refund your CPU and go back to your pre-95 486? Talking about how fps drops are unacceptable; there's nothing you're going to be able to do outside of scream at an uncaring void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KevyB View Post
    These benchmark videos from "top" outlets are worthless, since they represent the best case scenario if you shit money for breakfast.

Here's an actual benchmark done by your average user which is much better for representing the average impact overall this shitty patch has:
    Guru3d did a benchmark with a Haswell chip as well, very little performance impact:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages...hmarked,1.html

Excuse me if I don't take the word of a random internet user.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still wondering why outlets are benchmarking things that obviously aren't going to change that much. It's like someone losing a leg and replacing it with a prosthetic and then run tests on your arms to see the effects of the prosthetic leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Still wondering why outlets are benchmarking things that obviously aren't going to change that much. It's like someone losing a leg and replacing it with a prosthetic and then run tests on your arms to see the effects of the prosthetic leg.
    Word on the street is, the patch is going to affect negatively games which are very CPU heavy (such as Rome II: Total War).

The FPS drop is going to be very noticeable and significant on such games running on Haswell, Ivy B and Sandy B systems.

Waiting on Anadtech benchmarks for further details.

(On the other hand, games which are GPU-heavy running on the same old systems will be barely affected losing maybe 1-2 FPS).
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Word on the street is, the patch is going to affect negatively games which are very CPU heavy (such as Rome II: Total War).

The FPS drop is going to be very noticeable and significant on such games running on Haswell, Ivy B and Sandy B systems.

(On the other hand, games which are GPU-heavy running on the same old systems will be barely affected losing maybe 1-2 FPS).
    Being CPU heavy doesn't mean anything, it's how the CPU is being used that matters in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post

Does it seem like a good deal to you? You can basically raid0 the competing nvmes and soar ahead. Optane is still a gimmick.
    #gooptane Shave off another half second of waiting at the instance loading so i can get to waiting for the other guy with the spinning hard drive to load into the instance 10sec later

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueDurr View Post
    #gooptane Shave off another half second of waiting at the instance loading so i can get to waiting for the other guy with the spinning hard drive to load into the instance 10sec later
    hehehehe

Pretty much. I personally have found SSDs are great for photo and video rendering, though, as Lightroom/Photoshop are already slow applications, it helps speed up the process by negating the HDD issues of loading the pictures or videos in.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Well - not looking good for ASUS motherboards.

Have had to uninstall the patch to get AISuite 3 to work.

Now if I could just get the patch to stay uninstalled.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post

Not looking bad for all ASUS motherboards, either.

Installed the patch last night and I've had no hiccups - and I'm mining, to boot.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Not looking bad for all ASUS motherboards, either.
    Problem is specifically with AISuite 3... not the motherboards.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Give it a few days, im sure itll get updated.

Not that I really use the AISuite.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you use AISuite for?
    "A flower.

What do you use AISuite for?
    USB Charging
    USB hi speed
    Temp control
    Firmware updates

"CPU Heavy" doesn't automatically mean "lots of system calls". It just means you're asking the CPU to do lots of maths. It doesn't necessarily mean you're asking the CPU for information that you might not be allowed to see (the contents of the kernel memory space, for example) or asking it to do things you might not be allowed to ask it to do (like call for a system interrupt). So long as you remain in user-space you shouldn't see much of an impact (especially if you use DirectX). The story may well be different if you're using Mantle, the bare-metal components of DX12 or whatever the fuck Apple is calling their version of Mantle on OSX this month, because they don't have as much abstraction between them and the hardware.

Applications that are hit hard, are things like virtualisation hypervisors, because they have to pass on interrupts from their simulated hardware to the actual hardware (i.e. they don't just hang around in Ring3 like pretty much every computer game there is, but they need to do stuff in Ring0 too). That'd only really affect you if you're running games in a Windows KVM machine (think that 7 people gaming on one computer thing that LTT did a year or two ago).

10+ Year Old Account
    USB Charging
    USB hi speed
    Temp control
    Firmware updates
    USB charging and high speed? Why do you need an app for that? O_o

Temp control? Do you mean like to monitor temperatures and then change fan speeds?

Firmware updates? Meh... rarely a necessity and can easily be done without some bloatware.

So far I'm not convinced you need it. All of this can be done with better, lighter applications or in BIOS.
    "A flower.

USB charging and high speed? Why do you need an app for that? O_o
    Drivers <--

Temp control? Do you mean like to monitor temperatures and then change fan speeds?
    No - I have motherboard stuff for that, referring to CPU/GPU speed tweaking etc, overheat protection etc.

Firmware updates? Meh... rarely a necessity and can easily be done without some bloatware.
    Indeed, you use AI Suite to do the updates, no bloatware required.

So far I'm not convinced you need it. All of this can be done with better, lighter applications or in BIOS.
    You don't need to be convinced. You not being convinced does not alter the behaviour or performance of my computer in any fashion.

If it did - I'd get you to be convinced that it runs 10x faster.

No, it's not, it won't. Tests are there already, and if a monstrous CPU hog such as Assassin's Creed: Origins sees no drop, there most likely won't be a drop at all. Non server related tasks are also at almost no difference pre vs post patch whatsoever. The entire performance loss is overhyped. Things might look different on servers where there's lots of syscalls and shit, but the average customer using a regular OS will notice no performance drop whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qZksorJAuY
    https://www.computerbase.de/2018-01/...erheitsluecke/

Also:

Not all Intel CPUs are affected. I didn't patch shit, still on build 1703 comp. 16299.125 (insider preview with exploit patch is labeled 17063).

Quote Originally Posted by Alassiel View Post
    Not all Intel CPUs are affected. I didn't patch shit, still on build 1703 comp. 16299.125 (insider preview with exploit patch is labeled 17063).
    I don't get this part. The information I have seen says that all Intel CPU's made in the last 10 odd years are effected. Do you have a site that lists excluded CPU's?

You mean this?

Are you using a Z87 mobo?
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

If you see any knock on games then it's going to be a couple of frames at most. You are unlikely to see anything worse unless the game is making a ton of syscalls and I don't know of any games that do that. If you are running VM's (like myself) then you are going to really hurt from this. The only effect I can think of for games like WOW is the effect on their servers. So a game that is already overloaded on the server side will see a big knock.