Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Flat earther's rocket fizzes

Flat-Earth Rocketeer Fails to Launch (Again)

The flat-Earth rocketeer remains planet-bound.

"Mad" Mike Hughes, a flat-Earth conspiracy theorist who has managed to get significant attention for his now-repeated failed rocket launches, strapped himself into his second homemade rocket Saturday (Feb. 3). But, as Noize TV documented in an excruciating 11-minute livestream of the event, Hughes' rocket never left its pad.

His stated plan, as Live Science previously reported, is to launch himself 1,800 feet (550 meters) above the desert in California and take photos before bailing out in a parachute. These photos, shot from a height anyone can reach by climbing a very tall building or even a small mountain, will, Hughes claims, show that the Earth is flat.

In fact, it's pretty easy for anyone to show that the Earth is round with a simple experiment — though the planet's curvature doesn't become visible to the naked eye until a height of about 35,000 feet (10,700 m).

Hughes canceled his previous launch after the Bureau of Land Management caught wind that he planned to crash his rocket into public land. In a video posted to YouTube, Hughes claimed that Saturday's failure resulted from a faulty plunger or a blown o-ring. However, he added that the details will remain unclear until the rocket cools down and he opens it up to examine it in detail.

Hughes went on to say that the launch could still happen this week — though he does have to be in court Tuesday because he's suing a range of California officials, from Gov. Jerry Brown to U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif.

"It's just aggravating," he told a small crowd of reporters. "I mean, what do you do?"
    https://www.livescience.com/61653-ma...unch-fail.html

This happened the same day as Elon Musk's rocket launch. Yes, this is the real world, and this is a real thing that is actually happening.

By the way you can donate to his gofundme, he's made $110 of his $10,000 goal kek:

https://www.gofundme.com/madmikehughesrocketlaunch
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I'm actually kind of surprised he didn't blow himself up.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can't really prove the earth isn't flat because all the people that found out fell off the edge and died.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    I'm actually kind of surprised he didn't blow himself up.
    Has to ignite first.

I'm not saying I would have enjoyed that rocket bursting into flames during launch...

Then again, I'm not, not saying it.

I want him to succeed. If nothing else, he's pursuing his beliefs and trying to uncover a truth with his own two eyes. That's more than what most people will do in their lives, so whilst I don't agree with his theories I admire his persistence.

That guy is beyond stupid. Where do you find these morons?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    That guy is beyond stupid. Where do you find these morons?
    I'm still under the impression that this guy is just trolling the Flat Earth people. There was an article that mentioned that he was having trouble getting funding. That is, until he claimed to be a Flat Earth believer.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I want him to succeed. If nothing else, he's pursuing his beliefs and trying to uncover a truth with his own two eyes. That's more than what most people will do in their lives, so whilst I don't agree with his theories I admire his persistence.
    If it were up to me, I'd say SpaceX or NASA could just give this guy a lift during the next manned space flight, that way he can look out the "Window" and see the world is not flat and he doesn't have to blow himself up trying to get there himself. Then again, that might open the way for other things that we may not want to do.

Wish he did blow himself up. Less flat earth morons is a good thing.

Dude should have used indiegogo.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    You can't really prove the earth isn't flat because all the people that found out fell off the edge and died.
    Post of the year 2018!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhdurr View Post
    Wish he did blow himself up. Less flat earth morons is a good thing.
    Tbh i wish he had pulled it off and science'd. Might have learned something, but probably would have just created a conspiracy theory to explain away his pictures.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe he's just doing the long con on flat earthers.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    I'm still under the impression that this guy is just trolling the Flat Earth people. There was an article that mentioned that he was having trouble getting funding. That is, until he claimed to be a Flat Earth believer.
    I'm still not convinced that all Flat Earthers aren't trolls. I'm not sure who they're trolling, maybe themselves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    If it were up to me, I'd say SpaceX or NASA could just give this guy a lift during the next manned space flight, that way he can look out the "Window" and see the world is not flat and he doesn't have to blow himself up trying to get there himself. Then again, that might open the way for other things that we may not want to do.
    That's a tremendous waste of money to entertain an idiot. Most large bodied commercial airliners have service ceilings (not even their maximum ceiling just the height the manufacturer guarantees for) way above the point where the Earth's curvature becomes visible to the naked eye.

If Flatties really wanted to they could just charter a flight and go see for themselves. Or exponentially cheaper, buy or build a high altitude weather balloon, strap a GoPro at it and test it for themselves, or if feeling ballsy strap themselves to it, go up there and parachute out.

7+ Year Old Account
    All these types of things do is solidify my belief that some people shouldn't be allowed to breed.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Haha!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Tbh i wish he had pulled it off and science'd. Might have learned something, but probably would have just created a conspiracy theory to explain away his pictures.
    He wouldn't have seen anything at 1,800 feet. The burj khalifa is almost 1,000 feet taller than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'm still not convinced that all Flat Earthers aren't trolls. I'm not sure who they're trolling, maybe themselves?
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 99% of them are trolls unknowingly trolling one another.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    A whole 1800 feet! So high! I mean, it's not like we don't have buildings nearly twice that height. Also, the curvature is clearly visible to the naked eye above 35,000 feet. Most commercial airliners cruise at around 50,000 feet. So...just get in a plane? Seriously. Anyway, I found live footage of the launch.

That's a strange category to fit into of being smart enough to build a rocket yet dumb enough to believe the world is flat.

Possible he's just doing this for an alternative motive. 15 mins of fame maybe.