Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

If you suddenly became rich, how much would your life change?

Say you suddenly win the lottery or a distant relative dies, either way you wind up a million dollars richer.

How would your life change? Would it be so different from how you live now? When you buy a new car it's new and exciting for the first week but after that it's just a car, wouldn't most things be like this?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Very different. I'd move to Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia where I'd set up an NPO to keep me busy while I lounge in the warm weather and kind people. No more modern indentured servitude for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Say you suddenly win the lottery or a distant relative dies, either way you wind up a million dollars richer.

How would your life change? Would it be so different from how you live now? When you buy a new car it's new and exciting for the first week but after that it's just a car, wouldn't most things be like this?
    I'd likely sell my current car, and buy a slightly nicer one. I'd also likely move to a cheaper state to live in, and buy a house. Should leave me with more than 1/2 the money left over. At that, i'd just bank it, and keep working until my 401k gets comparative to what I have saved from the million dollars, and live off of it till I died.

Sadly, 1 million isn't a HUGE amount of money these days. It is significant, but not enough to live off of for the rest of my life alone.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I'd invest the money, making them grow and living comfortably.

I wouldn't become a big spender, I have no interest in flashy things. My life would change, but not at Wolf of Wall-Street levels...

Not much. A million dollars doesn't go far in California. Even if it were ten million, I'd probably just buy a nice home on the edge of the wilderness. I'm not really into "things".

I'd go from a miserable self destructive broke person to a miserable self destructive rich person.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

I'd get some acreage and build an "off-grid" ~ 1000 sqft house and buy an electric car - but everything else would stay the same.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

i would attempt to keep it mostly the same.

only things i would change is getting a tornado-proof bunker of a home built, a giant wall around it so i can have chickens in peace(wild animals and dogs keep fucking that dream up), and get the most amazing internet and computer.

other than that, i'd still just sit here all day.

oh, you only said a million dollars. well, i'd get a better computer at least. everything else stays the same.

I don't live in the US so $1mil is worth quite a bit here. It is basically the money I need to get to where I want to be, enough money to not require a job and study space.

That's not enough money to drastically change my life. If it were maybe a couple billion dollars, then I'd start plotting something big.

Mr. Burns blocking out the sun tier big.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    1 Million won't change your life that much. I'd buy a house and probably invest the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not much.

Apart from nicer accommodations for myself and my family, very little would change.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd buy a shitload of crack.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

With a good investment plan you’d make around $60k a year off that million. I’d invest it all let it grow and use it to retire early.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't have a clue what to do with that much money. Probably buy a flat or house and invest the rest

Stood in the Fire Fixxit the Gnome's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    I'd pay my mother's mortgage. She deserves that after everything she has done for me and my siblings over the years as a single mom.
    - Dare not to sleep -

No longer have to work, so yes my life would change quite a bit.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I'd focus all my energy primarily into making sure I never had to work for anyone else again, so yeah, my life would change quite a bit. Material ownership-wise, with a million dollars, almost nothing would change.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't change much. I'd just replace Work with more Videogames.

I wouldn't need to work, so I could wake up late and hit the gym every day, and still get home earlier than I do right now.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton