Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    I would move into an apartment closer to school, do some vanity stuff I want to do but don't want to waste money on like some new clothes or spending $500 on a good dentist/dermatologist etc. I don't think I would change any of my other spending habits. Maybe I'd splurge on a new pc or something.

Other than that I would keep it all in the bank till I come across a good investment opportunity or till I want to invest in a business of my own. The biggest difference would be that I wouldn't have any financial stress or stress of depending on others for the foreseeable future, which would be awesome.

Deleted
    I would find an investment for my money to get a stable monthly income without having to work much for it. Would probably buy me some nice things, but not go overboard with that. When my monthly income is set and flowing, I would then stop working and focus more on writing my fantasy stories. :3

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I'm very ill (mentally ill) and unable to look after myself, so my physical health is plummeting by the week.

For $200,000 I'd be able to afford to get treatment and the help I need to stop the plummet.

That is unlikely to happen of course, the lottery hasn't helped so far.

And before people start calling this a US health care issue - I live in Australia, however my condition doesn't match the way the public health care system works.

SO yeah - even universal health care isn't perfect
    That sucks man, sorry to hear that
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    That sucks man, sorry to hear that
    The 'irony' of it is that what I need is something that most people get for free .. human contact

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I’d drop out of University, stop thinking about looking for a job, shove it in the bank and live my current life.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2018-01-09 at 06:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd honestly become a bit heartless to make me happy.
    Buy all my moms decorations and house ,boot her out but get her a house.

I don't want live alone so I would honestly try to bribe a girl I'm interested in to be my gf, that or my ex, she used to be a nurse and current condition I need that skill.

From there give a million to my siblings , so 4mil gone.
    Give 500k to both parents.

After that, immediately make a will and update it every two years. Then just live my life.

1 million? Lol. I guess I’d get to retire 4-5 years earlier than planned. Otherwise it would have zero impact on my day to day life. I would literally not spend a dime that I wouldn’t have otherwise spent.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Say you suddenly win the lottery or a distant relative dies, either way you wind up a million dollars richer.

How would your life change? Would it be so different from how you live now? When you buy a new car it's new and exciting for the first week but after that it's just a car, wouldn't most things be like this?
    Right now I live in an appartment and don't have a car. I would get both of that and whatever is "necessary" without any excess. Invest a good amount in something smart and live a regular life without worry. It would make a big difference in my life right now.

Deleted
    Get a flat, a car, and then kinda live like I do now but a bigger emphasis on getting healthier.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where I want to be and where I am are 2 different places
    You mentioned one million dollars richer. These days, $1 million isn't a lot of money. Depending on where you live ofc, cost of housing can be a great deal of that money. I'm from NJ, you can get a small 2 bedroom bungalo for about $300k in my area. Look to spend about $500-700k for a nice (not lavish) average middle class home. Most coastal areas from DC northward is in that same bracket. Lots of Cali and Pacific Northwest are like that as well. I moved to Indiana to a house I bought for $180k that's 3100 sq ft 4 br house on 1/3 acre of land. It's worth about $275k now. If you have a million to "play with", a good chunk of that can be taken up just in housing. Yes your home is paid for and maybe you would choose a new car but you won't be getting ready to write your boss your retirement letter on that. My mother is looking to retire in 3 years. Her financial advisor told her to live comfortably with $4k a month income, she needs to have minimum $1.5 million in assets combined. I'm 35, when I get to retirement age, I don't want to imagine what that number will become. The best I'd say I'd do with it is invest it so I have less to worry about at 67 or whatever the retirement age will be then.

I wouldn't have to rely on the state for handouts to keep me alive (and fund my WoW sub, of course).

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest my life wouldn't change much. I'd give some of it to friends and family so they could take care of their financial issues and the rest would be for me.

Although $1 million is not much so it's not like I'd be set for life. Maybe 15 years ago I would but these days it's not much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Wish I lived in this fantasy world where investments just GROW and one million dollars is enough to retire on...
    Did i ever imply how long i would store it ?

Depends on how much tbh, but generally my hobbies will be the same and the money will open the door to some others

Buy two more houses to ride the local housing bubble, work five more years so I can stay in their health plan pool, cash it all out and move somewhere cheap with a beach.

I am technically rich and got to it roughly two years after being considered working poor after I started my own business. I still live in the same same city, I just bought the home I was renting. My car and my wife's car are the same cars we bought in 2008. I guess the only real difference is I have money saved and invested. My attitude or behaviors have not changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be debt free, which would help me out considerably.
    Other then getting into a different living accommodation, the only other change would be not having to work as much. So I could take a lesser paying job, maybe one I would like doing to get by.

Well, first off, I'd pay off mine, my fiance's, and my elderly father's combined debt of about $75k, then I'd get my fiance a nice used car. Then I'd probably buy a small cozy house in the town that my fiance's employer is moving to, because the town/township is starting to become a tech industry hub for the area, and is giving moving incentives to not only tech minded businesses, but their employees looking to move closer to work; it's also a lovely area in general with slightly lower costs of living.

After that, I'd call my cousin who works in finance to see if he knows anyone (well, actually I know he does) that can help me make sure my research for investing what's left is as correct as possible. I'd then reinvest half of what profit/interest is made, and then take the other half (what little that might be) and stick it in a rainy day/emergency fund, so I am never fully caught unaware and have a fund.

Other than that, my life would not change that much, it's not enough for me or my fiance to retire or live richly on, but it would help greatly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    I assume Americans count their 401k as net worth?

So lets see 2 kids going to private university that's 500k gone (lol wtf is this shit?). Average healthcare cost for 2 pensioners in the USA 200k. You better start saving up.
    My wife and I have no kids and we’re covered for life under her healthcare when she retires.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect