Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    How much is rich?

1 Million: Put some of it towards my mortgage. I might go on a extra trip but for the most part there wouldn't' be any significant changes.
    10 Million: Buy a bigger house and perhaps a vacation house.
    100 Million: Start up my own video game/independent movie studio. Dream come true.
    1 billion: All the above and a fortress (with a dungeon maze). I would also create a foundation (I have one in mind already)
    10 billion: All the above, but I would become a producer for games and film.
    100 billion: All the above and more. At this point I would get into larger real estate, and build arcologies for the underprivileged.
    1 Trillion: All the above! I would build my very own set of bridges and highways across the state of Oregon. I would buy out the city of Portland and demand that they get their shit together or else they don't get any free fucking bridges. Lastly, I would invest heavily in space exploration.

7+ Year Old Account
    Buy a small island somewhere far far away from people and just relax.....

I love it how the initial number of one million turns out not to be enough for any big change. Reminds me of Austin Powers.

I would finally not have upstairs neighbours that I want to kill because I could afford a hitman to take them out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    A million isn't that much. It'd let me buy a nice 3br/2ba home, which in my area is around $300,000. I'd still have to work, it'd give me a head start on a retirement fund unless I decided to gamble on opening a beach cafe.

Powerball/Megamillions money is different. I'd become a philanthropist and entrepreneur.
    Not much? It's several decades worth of salary for most people in the (western) world. More than most will ever earn over a life time outside of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    If I won $1 million dollars I'd probably move someplace where having $1 million dollars means you are rich.
    Spin a globe and put your finger on it and if it lands on anything outside of America. You're rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    I love it how the initial number of one million turns out not to be enough for any big change. Reminds me of Austin Powers.
    Chances are a number of those posts are by those that have no idea how much things cost....

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    If its only a 1mill dollars nothing major would change tbh. but if it was a 10-100mill things would change more. For one I would pay everything me and my mother loans, then just travel and enjoy life a little while I make the money work for us in the bank or some other way.

Location would change, living arrangements would change a bit, Id do more of the stuff I already do, travel more, but at the end of the day I imagine Id be sitting around smoking weed, hiking, fishing and kayaking all the same, just locations and equipment would improve.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LoLcano View Post
    A million $ aint that much in lots of big cities , barely can buy a house . so my life would change but not drastically !
    What? The average price of a home in even a high tax/cost of living state such as California, is a little less then 500k. You mean if you wanted to stay in a large city and be picky about where in the large city you would want to live in.

After paying taxes, a million dollars becomes significantly less. Life would be a bit easier for me I admit, but not so much that I could quit my job.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    If I won $200,000 - then I wouldn't die this year.

I guess that's a big change.
    That deserves an explanation?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    I would finally not have upstairs neighbours that I want to kill because I could afford a hitman to take them out.
    Buy them some socks and/or headphones as a late Christmas present if it's their feet/music that bothers you
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Ah... assuming "rich" means rich enough for my plans, I got some ideas. For fun, some years ago, I thought up a plan, if I ever should get rich (wasnt expecting anything... just for fun).

I have thought up myself a type of house which I will have built for myself. I have some very specific requirements for it.
    I'll save up portion of the money and ensure I will live happily rest of my life.
    + some small things.

I know very well what I would do.
    My actual life would not change much. Just the way that I got stuff I want the way I want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Buy them some socks and/or headphones as a late Christmas present if it's their feet/music that bothers you
    Sadly it's more along the lines of them banging on our door and threatening our 6 year old daughter because she was playing at 8:30am a couple of times and other such wonderful encounters with them They are council tenants but despite all the evidence that we have collected the local council are refusing to do anything about them and the police say it's their word against ours, ie they can't be bothered to do anything either ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    I'd go from a miserable self destructive broke person to a miserable self destructive rich person.
    Basically this^
    Although I'd probably buy my first car with the money too.

It would change my life a lot. I could pay off my house (which I hate) and rent it out, pay off my mom's house, and have enough to buy myself a new house. With the rental income from the first house, I could literally not work at my shitty job and have enough money to live happily, and my mom would be comfortable too without a mortgage hanging over her head.

Not having to work is the biggest deal breaker ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    That deserves an explanation?
    I'm very ill (mentally ill) and unable to look after myself, so my physical health is plummeting by the week.

For $200,000 I'd be able to afford to get treatment and the help I need to stop the plummet.

That is unlikely to happen of course, the lottery hasn't helped so far.

And before people start calling this a US health care issue - I live in Australia, however my condition doesn't match the way the public health care system works.

SO yeah - even universal health care isn't perfect

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    What? The average price of a home in even a high tax/cost of living state such as California, is a little less then 500k. You mean if you wanted to stay in a large city and be picky about where in the large city you would want to live in.
    A big house down my street is worth 1 million of our money. My neighbourhood is not really rich, just average, lower middle class. Apartaments around here go from 300k to 500k. Mine is a cheap one at 200k today (I bougth it years ago for like 30k).

If "getting a lot of money" would be one million, I could literally buy one house and that's it. So...not much change.

If it was really rich...well, I would move down the street probably, or another neighbourhood, but wouldn't change much else I guess. Would give 1/3 to my mother, as well.

Would go on vacation more often and retire earlier. So not that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Growing up poor a and where I am now, I am pretty damn satisfied so not much except I would retire now, until waiting a little bit even though I don't have to though. But let see buy Private Island and a boat, build a bunker. Travel date until I find the right woman to share my life with a real a Jerry Maguire "you complete me" kind of thing. Spend the rest of my days and nights with my wife spoil her have a legion of kids.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Well, I'd hire someone to help me make financial decisions since I don't know jack beyond "invest" and "don't invest in risky shit". I'd probably switch to part-time work so I don't go crazy from having nothing to do, find myself a modest house rather than renting an apartment, hire a cook because I want to eat healthier but hate doing it myself (mostly the time it takes and the clean-up), and take the occasional vacation by myself or with my parents.