Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    There are 13 races to play in wow. All of the allied races so far, particularly the four Legion-based ones, are just minor tweaks on existing races. Please stop trying to make this out to be a bigger deal than it is.

First, someone who hasn't already been playing Legion has no idea who those four races are. They are just altered versions of the existing races. So immediately I'm going to just laugh at your idea that being able to pick those races is "an essential part of the game" because anyone who hasn't done those zones has no idea who those races actually are or why they look like that, or what they are about.

Second, no, it isn't what you look at in the center of the screen for the entire game. At all. What you look at in the center of the screen for the entire game is the armor you are wearing, which has nothing to do with Allied Races. There is next to zero difference between an Lightforged and regular Draenei character when in armor and viewed from behind (the direction you view your character from 99% of the time). The only Allied Race with a unique silhouette are the Zandalari, and wow, would you look at that, they aren't even one of the Legion ones so it doesn't matter. It also isn't "how you fundamentally play the game" because whether you have moose antlers or bull horns sticking out of your head doesn't alter how you fundamentally play the game.

Third, it isn't a double-standard. Because it's exactly like those mounts or transmog. It is a small visual alteration and some fluff racials that you gain from doing content. If anything, as evidenced in the point above, transmog is MUCH, MUCH bigger to the identity of your character than the Allied race in the majority of gameplay. The visual difference between a (regular) Draenei in Full tier 6 warrior gear and a (regular) Draenei in legion quest greens is much more significant than the Difference between a Lightforged Draenei in Legion quest greens and a (regular) Draenei in Legion quest greens.

Like all things, you play what you want to play. If the character I want to play is pseudo-Arthas flying around on a frostwyrm, well guess what? I better go level up and then do the achievements to get the ICC meta mounts, or hit 110 and do the class hall quests. If you want to be a Nightborne, go do the Nightborned based content to unlock them.

These aren't races. They are allied races. The entire point is that they are something you unlock by doing stuff.

So either you like the allied race enough to do its quest zone and get exalted (which, lets be actually honest here, is no where even remotely close to 100 hours) or you don't actually care enough about playing that allied race to play the game and unlock it.

You want to be lazy. Pure and simple. Logging in for 15 minutes to do some world quests and run missions a few times a week is too much effort. People like you are the reason professions are complete and utter trash in their current state, with zero sense of accomplishment or RPG, and no sense of real character progression. Because you can't be bothered to actually do stuff in game to be able to do the things you want, you just want to be able to talk to an NPC and do an hour quest chain to craft. Or do a zone and make an allied race.

It isn't. I hate everyone.
    The expansion selling point, main feature IS gameplay unlocking new race options (read: the Allied Race system). Not the races themselves, which are Legion rewards from that system.
    Then it is a very poor selling point, sister. One that shall work against those who wish to immerse themselves with new races instead of sticking to the old ones,being pushed into tedious reputation grind.

I understand why they locked them behind rep. It's a new concept of the new expansion and future ones. They said we will be able to recruit new races as we progress. So I guess we will need to hit exalted and do a quest chain in order to unlock them as well.

If you played during this expansion, you pretty much get these 4 races for "free", since you should have the rep by now.
    As for new players, while it will take longer compared to leveling a character to level 55 for a death knight, it still gives them something to do while they level. Or even something to go back to.

If you want these Legion races, you will need to work for it. Think about it as a reward for reaching exalted, like getting a mount or a pet.
    It's really not as bad as it was in the beginning of the expansion, and people reached revered really fast back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Heart of Thorns View Post
    Then it is a very poor selling point, sister. One that shall work against those who wish to immerse themselves with new races instead of sticking to the old ones,being pushed into tedious reputation grind.
    I don't see how there is anything more immersive than you working with a race to become exalted and help them out, learning about them and dealing with them a great deal, and thereby unlocking the ability to make and play as one. I love this system, it's probably the greatest selling point of any expansion ever if developed properly.

What would be better than unlocking Mag'har by being exalted with Mag'har, or Tuskarr for them? Or Kurenai/argussian for Broken. Or Jinyu, etc, etc.

It's an amazing feature with a great deal of potential, and it's clear they mean to do quite a bit with it, since there's already 6+ allied races for Legion/BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Allied races aren't rewards, they are the selling point of the expansion.
    to me theres about 5-10 different things higher up on the list then bloody allied races.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    I don't see how there is anything more immersive than you working with a race to become exalted and help them out, learning about them and dealing with them a great deal, and thereby unlocking the ability to make and play as one. I love this system, it's probably the greatest selling point of any expansion ever if developed properly.

What would be better than unlocking Mag'har by being exalted with Mag'har, or Tuskarr for them? Or Kurenai/argussian for Broken. Or Jinyu, etc, etc.

It's an amazing feature with a great deal of potential, and it's clear they mean to do quite a bit with it, since there's already 6+ allied races for Legion/BfA.
    Quest chain, sure, but it won't give you exalted. Also unlocking them faction wide makes sense, on personal level not so much.

Introductory quest chain aftr you start Mag'har/Tuskarr.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    DK: level any class to level 55, get level 55 character
    DH: level any class to level 70, get level 98 character
    Allied race: level any character to level 110, grind reputation in old expansion for 3 months, get level 20 character

Totally comparable, yeah.
    actually it is comparable.
    hate to burst your bubble, but you get a free 110 just for buying battle for azeroth.

a new player could use that 110, level to 120, and grind out the reputation needed for whatever allied faction they want, faster then a new player in early wrath could level a character to level 55 to unlock a death knight.

and it doesn't take 3 months.
    Last edited by AceofH; 2018-01-21 at 11:03 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    The best is the person who says this new leveling and the new allied races is going to end in a lawsuit
    Surely no one is stupid enough to suggest that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    With 1500 reputation from emissary and 300 reputation from 4 world quests for emissary once a week it takes 21000 / 1800 ~= 12 weeks from revered to exalted. You can continue grind quests for small increments of reputation, but it will get old really quickly. And please don't start that bullshit about tokens from OH missions, players who will return or start playing after Legion won't have full set of 950 (or whatever ilvl is highest now) followers and ton of OH resources to burn through.
    except if that was the case it would have taken me 3 months to get exalted suramar. but wait. it took just over a month, and i could do it sooner today. also, why would i only do the 75 rep quests if my goal was to get exalted as fast as possible? i would be doing the inner suramar city quests that reward more like 250 rep each. and if my goal was to get exalted as fast as possible i'd be clearing the zone each day... your logic is fail.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    "I know I'm not impacted by this but SOMEONE MIGHT BE so I am going to get mad at it on their behalf."

Gotta say I have no idea where you've been if you think people can't even managing bitching for themselves about such trifles.

It's fine. Anyone that plays at all will have it by the time it launches. Anyone coming in later will have to work for it. Pretty sure at some point they'll even drop it.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokresh View Post
    Surely no one is stupid enough to suggest that.
    lolol yeah there is, one moment... it might be hard to find but...
    post #505
    go to top right

click search thread and look for lawsuit

Quest chain, sure, but it won't give you exalted. Also unlocking them faction wide makes sense, on personal level not so much.

Introductory quest chain aftr you start Mag'har/Tuskarr.
    I don't consider, for instance, the like hour of High Mountain quests to be an appropriate amount of effort of time spent with them to become a High Mountain Tauren, which is basically what you're doing. Consider that we are talking about making a permanent character that will potentially be your main or alt for years to come. Doing one zone and grinding one rep to exalted really isn't much.

post #505
    go to top right

The worst part is that it literally says "Earn the respect" right there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkrypt View Post
    Really this whole thread is nonsense. People typing paragraphs and throwing insults to other people for different point of views.

All I see is a bunch of immaturity. If you don't want to do the quests, you don't get to play the Allied Race. If you think that's a "shitty roadblock" that's your opinion, but trust me, no one, not even Blizzard, gives a damn. It's not a roadblock. God forbid you have to do the quests, play the game, and earn something instead of having it handed to your millennial self.

Grow up, seriously. Learn to accept things you cannot change.
    I object to this being a millennial thing, I grew up having to unlock extra characters with special requirements in games all the time was great fun, I remember trying to collect the special skull armor in halo 3 for example with the magical music rings playing the theme song. Nice to see that type of requirement readded in though in a simpler way. I wanted a pvp axe skin and a grey warwolf from legion world quests but I've not being a fan of dk pvp in the past but I started agian as blood as found ways to enjoy it as a tank focusing on objectives for example if I hadn't learned to enjoy it I would of just carried on till I'd done it then stopped it's good to push people out of their comfort zones maybe they'll get a greater apperication for lore and dailys maybe they won't. My main point is this isn't a millennial thing!

I mean "paying for the same expansion just earlier than others and having to work for 4 new races" seems fair to me. Unless pre-order is at least $30 more then why would be paying the same price (or the tiniest bit more) mean I don't have to play the game as much

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    There is a difference though.

When Battle for Azeroth was announced two and a half months ago, I resubbed immediately. It wasn't until mid-December that I finally reached 110, spending 60 hours leveling to 110... only to realize the sheer amount of gating that lied ahead of me. To unlock an Allied Race, you need to complete a special questline. To access this questline, you must be exalted with their faction. To become exalted with their faction, you must unlock and play grind several weeks of Emissary quests. To unlock the Emissary quests, you must spend upwards of sixty hours to complete FIVE ENTIRE ZONE STORYLINES - one of which is one of the longest questlines in the entire games and has it's own content gates.

Death Knights are unlocked through the natural course of gameplay - attaining level 55. It is something all WoW players will eventually achieve. If you are new player and just want to play a DK, then all you need to do is pick another class, level to 55, and hop over. Yes, it's obtuse, but it was at least bearable. You never felt like you had to start all over again.

Allied Races on the other hand, require a player to hop through a ludicrous number of hoops to access. To unlock an Allied Race, you are required to spend upwards of 100 hours (easily 200 hours if you are a new player who wanted to play as a Zandalari Troll from the start), on content that you might not even enjoy, just so you can access a single new race that you have to spend another fifty to a hundred hours leveling up anyways. This is absurd! It wouldn't have been so ridiculous if - like Death Knights - everyone unlocked Allied Races over the course of natural gameplay, but that's not how it works. The fastest way to level continues to be just sitting in a tavern, queuing for LFD and BGs. It's Blizzard's fault that they have allowed the path of least resistance to remain and keep people from experiencing the zones and storylines they created. And before the nay sayers go "well it's just a customization option, you don't have to do if you won't enjoy it...", just stop. Customizing your character has always been an essential tenet of playing a MMORPG. It's how you present yourself to other players. It's how you roleplay. It's what you are going to be looking at in the center of your screen for the entirety of the play experience.

I wouldn't be so vocal about this if they had made it so that you just had to play through the race's questline to unlock the Embassy questline to induct said race. That's convoluted enough as it is. I'm still hoping this is changed.
    ridiculous amount of hoops you say - like leveling to 110 (pretty much required to play the game anyway).
    questing out the zones (something most people do anyway)
    and doing world quests and emissarys (which each have there own rewards and can give you legendaries for doing them in some cases).

oh my god. so many hoops. waaaah. wwaaah.

- - - Updated - - -

I do agree with you, brother. Expansion selling point, main features should not be locked behind extensive gameplay.

Maybe it is Blizzard's plot to increase subscription time.
    in that case, it wouldn't work very well in my case, i could have unsubbed before blizzcon, and would still have had the requirements met by the time the races became available.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what happens when you spend 4 entire expansions catering to people who don't like MMORPGS or RPGS and then try to even slightly swing the pendulum back to targetting MMORPG and RPG players.

Deleted
    Buying BFA but still having to "Unlock" epic items - your thoughts?
    Buying BFA but still having to "Unlock" dungeons - your thoughts?
    Buying BFA but still having to "Unlock" professions - your thoughts?

Its a game, you buy it to have fun with it. Its not much fun when you get everything handed on a golden plate is it? Hopefully the game will learn the snowflakes that you have to put some effort in things to archieve something in life.

7+ Year Old Account
    post #505
    go to top right

Wow that is an unhealthy level of delusion to live with, jokes aside I worry for this individual.

post #505
    go to top right
    High quality kek detected. Blizzard is in serious trouble this time.

7+ Year Old Account
    One of my favorite things to do in games, is to work for something and feel like i have earned what i am given as reward. That is why i really like how they do Allied races. I think it is nice, that the races are not just thrown at you when you buy BFA, having 3 new "races" to choose from when creating characters, but that you actually have to work for it and understand the story-context in which the allied races are gained in.

Besides, for proberly 70-80 of the current playerbase, these requirements will already have been met and it won't really matter that much for people who actually care about getting the allied races as fast as possible. If you start subbing to WoW now and want to make sure to be able to get 2-4 allied races when BFA launches, you can easily fill the requirement with a week or 2, and i think that if one thinks that, that is too much time to use on the game, then they would proberly not be liking the game anyway when they finally are done with getting exalted.

All in all, good feature from blizzard and a well designed set up.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieldon View Post
    High quality kek detected. Blizzard is in serious trouble this time.
    He'll lawsuit the lawsuit out of them. Or just post here and make people chuckle, I expect it'll be the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    I think it is nice, that the races are not just thrown at you when you buy BFA, having 3 new "races" to choose from when creating characters, but that you actually have to work for it and understand the story-context in which the allied races are gained in.
    I'm honestly baffled by this statement. There always was story context in the starting areas and starting quests. Now Blizzard can't be arsed to create new content and instead they gate unlock by the grinding of old conent and are somehow praised for that. Like, seriously, it's the laziest attitude they've ever had towards this game, are you just feeling special for doing boring dailies for several months?
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though