Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I thought he was a Commander and demoted to Captain.
    But captain is a superior rank to commander. The movie makes even less sense.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Wrong. Commander is above Captain.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    People aren't teenagers anymore and have been overexposed to Star Wars.
    Dunno, I can still feel the magic when watching the original trilogy or when playing certain games.

But the new movies? It looks like their writers have absolutely no idea what Star Wars is about. Nothing but lost potential, both in Star Trek and Star Wars. Lucas scetched a tremendously rich world and, despite of many awkward things in the prequels, vastly expanded it further. Until Abrams shrunk it without any explanation.

And TLJ? It's literally two hours of the First Order chasing one Resistance cruiser at sublight, while the supposedly most powerful Force user who has ever lived does nothing but whines on a little island. And the setting in general -- wtf happened to the galaxy-wide Republic? One pesky group of space nazis obliterating it entirely without a fight? Nothing in the new movies make sense in any context. Their main purpose seems to be to intentionally ruin everything for old fans by finding retarded ways to kill off all the classic hero characters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    In regular military terms, yes. But in the navy the Captain is the commander of the ship, regardless of his actual military rank. Most large warships (battleships & carriers) are commanded by Commodores, which would equal Colonel in land forces. Still they are referred to as Captains of the ship.

That said, I'm not sure how the ranks of the Resistance go. There's no logic in the new movies whatsoever though, so I don't expect ranks to have any either.
    Last edited by mmocd6a9ba639c; 2018-01-12 at 08:19 AM.

Captain is OF-6, a colonel.
    Commander is OF-5, a lieutenant colonel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
    In regular military terms, yes. But in the navy the Captain is the commander of the ship, regardless of his actual military rank. Most large warships (battleships & carriers) are commanded by Commodores, which would equal Colonel in land forces. Still they are referred to as Captains of the ship.

That said, I'm not sure how the ranks of the Resistance go. There's no logic in the new movies whatsoever though, so I don't expect ranks to have any either.
    Wrong. As I said Commander is above Captain in Star Wars. And it's not the new movie thing either. Clone Commander was the highest Clone trooper rank, above Clone Captain. Rebel Commander is higher than even Major. So basically Poe was demoted 2 ranks down, unless Resistance's just got rid of Major rank. Imperial ranks were more complicated due to them having different branches of military and no definitive canon sources.

- - - Updated - - -

Captain is OF-6, a colonel.
    Commander is OF-5, a lieutenant colonel.
    The last time I checked this thread is about SW, not US military pay grades.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Ask the people on the ships that ran out of fuel how well the plan worked.

While they are standing in the throne room thing, they used a little magnifier thing and the First Order could specifically see the escaping ships. The ships weren't cloaked like in Star Trek, they were simply hidden from typical First Order sensor scans.

Benecio Del Toro did get them through the ships defenses, and into the super secret room. It was the little evil First Order robot that noticed BBY was a round droid wearing a garbage can.

They knew exactly what ship had the tracker, they broke into the room and visibly showed the tracker before they were captured. They also knew that the tracker could only track one ship, and that it was tracking the main Resistance ship. They also knew they were only using one tracker and if they shut it down and jumped out of there they wouldn't notice it was off or have another one available to pick up the slack.

I'm starting to get the feeling you didn't pay attention to the movies.

Again, Holdo was well aware of the type of person Poe was and decided to keep him in the dark for absolutely zero reason. They decided to ignore a whole movie of character development to let that one slip through. Also Poe thought he was following what he was supposed to do, the last exchange he had with Leia, "Permission to fly around and blow things up." "Permission granted."

Force Balance: Lucas was better at this then Disney has shown, not much better, but enough. Balance doesn't exist, Snoke is proof of that. There was no Balance, Snoke and Ren were the only force users up until the events of Ep VII.
    The kid at the end pretty much implies that there are force users everywhere across the galaxy. Luke constantly points out the foolishness of thinking of the force as merely being a matter of Jedi and Sith, and that really doesn't fly in the face of anything "established" about the force.

Then it was Snoke, Kylo, and Rey. Luke had closed himself off from the Force. He didn't open himself to it again, which is why he could suddenly see Kylo and Rey have their phone calls. As it goes for passing on to the force, only Obi-Wan really has. Obi-Wan was never cut down, he just passed over. Anakin, Yoda, and Luke all passed over pretty much after dying. Anakin died from wounds from Palpatine, Yoda died in his sleep (there could be an argument made here that he choose to die, but it's moot), and Luke clearly expended all of his energy to project across the galaxy. You could say Luke passed before dying, but the writing was on the wall, his stunt had killed him and he knew it was going to kill him.

There are way to many contradictions in both they way Lucas or Disney has handled the Force. It's really no point to even discuss it.
    You're talking about nebulous space magic. There is no "science" to it.

...Well, Lucas TRIED to put science into it back in Phantom Menace, but it made it supremely stupid. Speaking of episode 1, Qui-gon Jinn was DEFINITELY killed, and he still got to be a force ghost.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    All Disney had to do was take the incredible amount of existing SW lore and put it on film, instead they wanted to write "new" things and it's kinda bland.

Disney, just likes Marvel cares too much about kids and caters to them. Throw in the current horseshit times we live in where you have to consider the feelings of everyone and things get even worse.

Add to that the over saturation and you find yourself wondering wtf the happening... is it you? is it the movie? maybe both?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    40 years of a complete disjointed mess.
    Marvel is like 60 years of disjointed mess. They took the best of it, reworked what was necessary and created a very successful cinematic universe. They could have done the same with Star Wars. Instead we got a universe that was kept on pause for 30 years, and then someone came along and hit the reset button.

I think most of us original Star Wars fans have simply outgrown Disney's iteration of the franchise. It's clearly aimed at a younger audience as they literally excised any remnants of the old series like a tumour. Hence a majority of us originals find the current story lacking, uninspiring or downright insulting. Kath Kennedy's feminist agenda and JJ Abrams sjw agenda certainly doesn't help.

Which is a shame because in the right hands the Star Wars universe can still be compelling even to us veterans. The stories in the SWTOR game are some of the most interesting I've ever seen, especially the Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior stories. I'm hoping once Disney has finally killed the franchise another studio will pick up the The Old Republic and make movies from it.

Making movies that ape on other modern filming styles and coming out poor copies. Not having the teeth to actually move the series forward. 7 was a rehash of A New Hope that had the majority of its new stuff thrown out in 8, which constantly backpedals on all of its apparently 'mindblowing' 'forget everything you know' moments and ends up accomplishing absolutely nothing. Rey and Kylo being the only compelling characters apart from the old ones which die unceremoniously. Characters with promise squandered, ruined or outright removed between movies.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    Hey. I’m second gen Star Wars. Episodes 1-3 were my time for Star Wars leading into both Clone Wars series. Once thing I feel Star Wars has lost is the magic feel.

I felt it in Episode 4-6, certainly 1-3, all the clone wars and def incl games like Star Wars the Old Republic (KoTOR & SWTOR) who really did a great job capturing it all. But I must say. I haven’t felt that magic feel in any of the new ones. Not 7, Rogue 1 or 8 altho I really enjoyed Rogue 1 & 8 something feels missing.

One thing I certainly missed was futuristic looking civilisations and worlds and high octane force user action. New films have great story but feel bland and like they are afraid to move on. Did we need 7-9 to be fighting as rebel underdogs again? Had enough of that for SW Rebels and 4-6 did it well enough. It’s also a bit depressing to see nothing changed in the galaxy after Emperors defeat it’s like they just replaced everything like for like and told the same story which while better was like WHY?

Wonder if we have any 3rd gen Star Wars folk where Episode 7,8 and Rogue 1 are your first experiences of Star Wars and you’ve since gone back and watched everything.
    the problem and iv said this day one of disney, is they will push it as a product and not a expansive universe, they care not for the story, they dont care wether things have plot holes, make sense or are good acting. They want to appeal to the most amount of people and gain the most amount of money and anything else they dont give a fuck about. They have a person thats pushing sjw/feminist shit in charge of the direction of the story, a round fucking robin of directors for the different movies, little to no future plan of direction of the series or franchise as a whole. We will not see a live action tv show simply becuase the cartoon seems to please people enough and its far cheaper.

Before disney bought it, it may have not been as mainstream outside of the movies but almost everything was done for the story, to futher the universe, to expand it more, fill in years and time that were left to legends.

Now we have forced comedy, flashy and big explosions, bright laser beams and lense flare regardless if it makes sense, breaks the story, or breaks a established mechanic. We have droids thats look cool instead of function well.

Disney will run it into the ground, milk as much money untill people stop going to or buying its product just becuase it has star wars logo, right now the brand loyalty is selling it purely. I dont go to the star wars movies to see a good scifi movie, i go to it to see a great star wars movies. and right now they are just good scifi movies, but terrible star wars movies.

Could be it's age. When we first seen Star Wars it was something new and fresh but now we have countless Star War games, Movies, Books and other Sci-Fi movies, games, books that it's nothing special now. And I don't think it has to do anything with Disney or Social Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    If you've watched the previous SW movies and not thought they're political commentary, you're both deaf and blind.
    The main villain of the prequels was a politician, and there was a ton of political commentary surrounding his actions. Hell, you could argue that the prequels were a re-telling of Animal Farm. A dictator that wants all the power using rhetoric and debate to dupe everyone into turning against each other. Chaos ensues. To settle society down they run to a strong man and give all power to the exact person they shouldn't. The puppies that are grown into vicious attack hounds are the clones grown on Kamino.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Commander was superior to Captain back in the old TIE Fighter game.

I think the Star Wars universe has been all over the place on ranks though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    There never was any magic, it's all marketing and hype. And a hint of nostalgia, even though many of the hyped people today werent even born back then. So fake nostalgie, which also leads back to good marketing.

Even out of the first movies you could say only 1 was somewhat decent and the other 2 sucked.

Sheep will be sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    There never was any magic, it's all marketing and hype. And a hint of nostalgia, even though many of the hyped people today werent even born back then. So fake nostalgie, which also leads back to good marketing.

Even out of the first movies you could say only 1 was somewhat decent and the other 2 sucked.

Sheep will be sheep.
    Nah. I saw the original films in the cinema when they were released. There was definitely a magic to it as a young lad. There wasn't really anything else like it, it was a huge cultural phenomenon. This was a time before the internet and spoilers. You had no idea what was going to happen. When the lights dimmed and the words "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...." appeared, followed by that iconic music and the scrolling yellow text, it honestly was something special.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Nah. I saw the original films in the cinema when they were released. There was definitely a magic to it as a young lad. There wasn't really anything else like it, it was a huge cultural phenomenon. This was a time before the internet and spoilers. You had no idea what was going to happen. When the lights dimmed and the words "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...." appeared, followed by that iconic music and the scrolling yellow text, it honestly was something special.
    Imagine the first time people witnessed someone making a fire, mustve been amazing that day.
    A week later, everyone could do it and no one cared anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Imagine the first time people witnessed someone making a fire, mustve been amazing that day.
    A week later, everyone could do it and no one cared anymore.
    I feel you're trying a bit too hard to be cynical. How old are you, out of interest?

The last time I checked this thread is about SW
    So in SW they are using an eclectic mix of naval and army ranks, with vice-admirals, commanders but with captains instead of lieutenant( captain)s, and we as the audience are somehow expected to grasp that. OK.

10+ Year Old Account
    So in SW they are using an eclectic mix of naval and army ranks, with vice-admirals, commanders but with captains instead of lieutenant( captain)s, and we as the audience are somehow expected to grasp that. OK.
    What's there to grasp? She demoted him from Commander to Captain. Obviously Commander is a higher rank than Captain in Resistance. Is that really so hard to grasp?