Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

[Megathread] Netflix's Original Move Bright

Ending Credit Song

Just watched it and IMO it isn't a bad movie, It isn't the best movie of the year by far but it was enjoyable.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-12-22 at 10:07 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

It's getting destroyed in reviews. Gotta check it out and see what's all that about.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's free. I'll end up checking it out sometime over the weekend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, it's a movie? Not sure why I thought it was going to be a TV show...

I guess I'll check it out tonight. Not that excited though, it doesn't look great.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Watched the first 30 min on the train this morning. Pretty good. Reminds me of Shadowrun. It didnt seem like the best movie of the year, but I will def be finishing it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Watched the first 30 min on the train this morning. Pretty good. Reminds me of Shadowrun. It didnt seem like the best movie of the year, but I will def be finishing it tonight.
    Nice to see i'm not the only one getting that SR-vibe. Still at work, will watch it with my SR-group this evening while designing/finishing their chars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Good enough popcorn flick.

Still think Alien Nation did it better.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

On scale 1 being worst and 5 being best, I give it 3.

"Tough" humans vs Gangsta orcs vs Emo Ninja elves.

Sure the idea of the setting is interesting. It would be more interesting, if the world was opened up a bit more, but it cannot be done with a single movie so no.

Usually when I watch movies these days, I stop it every 20min and start browsing websites on other tab, then come back to it in 5-10min. It is highly likely I wont even bother watching them to end. I havent found a movie these days that wouldnt bore me entirely. What makes Bright better in this sense is that I only stopped once or twice while watching it. Perhaps it was less boring than most movies. Therefore if you are looking for entirely mid grade movie, this might be it. Its not good, but its not bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    On scale 1 being worst and 5 being best, I give it 3.

"Tough" humans vs Gangsta orcs vs Emo Ninja elves.

Sure the idea of the setting is interesting. It would be more interesting, if the world was opened up a bit more, but it cannot be done with a single movie so no.

Usually when I watch movies these days, I stop it every 20min and start browsing websites on other tab, then come back to it in 5-10min. It is highly likely I wont even bother watching them to end. I havent found a movie these days that wouldnt bore me entirely. What makes Bright better in this sense is that I only stopped once or twice while watching it. Perhaps it was less boring than most movies. Therefore if you are looking for entirely mid grade movie, this might be it. Its not good, but its not bad either.
    I think a lot of viewers do this these days. Either havent found a good movie or have attention span issues.

Pretty funny how critics are trying to destroy this movie. Netflix is the scary boogie man for the film industry

It's a pretty decent buddy cop movie with orcs and elves,very watchable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Tbh, as good as the setting is... I think Night Watch did it better. REALLY wish we could get a high budget version of that, instead of that godawful movie from a while back.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I liked it, but it was a little disappointing. A modern, gritty realistic fantasy action movie? I wanted so much to see more of this world, and this was like a sped-up, quick ride through it. Let's be clear: Bright is not an amazing movie, but it's an enjoyable, decent movie, and it does NOT deserve the thrashing that critics have given it.

I know Netflix wants to be taken seriously as a powerful player in the movie industry, not just the TV industry, but this particular type of story would have been better told as a miniseries or an 8-episode TV show. The world Bright is set in just deserves to be more fleshed out. It left me wanting more - a lot more. I think that's both a good thing and a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Pretty funny how critics are trying to destroy this movie. Netflix is the scary boogie man for the film industry
    Or maybe it's not a good movie? Other Netflix movies have gotten great reviews, like Mudbound and Okja.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Or maybe it's not a good movie? Other Netflix movies have gotten great reviews, like Mudbound and Okja.
    Okja was shunned from the cannes film festival

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    I liked it, but it was a little disappointing. A modern, gritty realistic fantasy action movie? I wanted so much to see more of this world, and this was like a sped-up, quick ride through it. Let's be clear: Bright is not an amazing movie, but it's an enjoyable, decent movie, and it does NOT deserve the thrashing that critics have given it.

I know Netflix wants to be taken seriously as a powerful player in the movie industry, not just the TV industry, but this particular type of story would have been better told as a miniseries or an 8-episode TV show. The world Bright is set in just deserves to be more fleshed out. It left me wanting more - a lot more. I think that's both a good thing and a bad thing.
    The world of Bright really needs to be fleshed out. It seems to teem with story and a ton of details but the movie does nothing to bring it forward. It's actually really bad at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really liked the movie, I hope it's a set up for the world and they're gonna expand into a full blown TV series, I need to know more about it, it's interesting as fuck.

7+ Year Old Account
    I liked it: 7/10. Well produced. Well directed. Acting was solid. Story was decent; a few weaknesses here and there. The action sequences were ok and they didn't completely dominate the movie. My only real issue was post climax closure: a bit weak imo.

A 15-20 episode tv show would be great as a sequel,set it in another city and have it just be The Wire with orcs and elves,I would watch the shit out of that.

waiting to watch it with SO, but what amuses me is how many of the critic start by criticizing the whole "orcs in modern world" premise as silly. umm. UMM. its called urban fantasy and its been around for DECADES. well in books anyways.

to be honest, I stopped caring what professional reviewers say a while ago.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    A 15-20 episode tv show would be great as a sequel,set it in another city and have it just be The Wire with orcs and elves,I would watch the shit out of that.
    Kind of wish it had been a series rather than a movie so the story could have been flushed out more. I could see it being the kick off for a solid series though. I'd watch it.