Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Lol! Way to really go out on a limb.

And I voted for Obama for his first term. It was past time a black person became president. I honestly felt he was a far better pick than McCain.
    Thats neat. But Americans are notorious for not wanting to be judged. They go to great lengths to obscure their politics, and even lie about who they voted for.

Consider Kennedy
    By the middle of 1963, 59 percent of Americans surveyed claimed that they had voted for him in 1960, although only 49.7 percent of voters had actually done so. After his death, his landslide grew to 65 percent.

Could be a case of fake memories.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Thats neat. But Americans are notorious for not wanting to be judged. They go to great lengths to obscure their politics, and even lie about who they voted for.

Consider Kennedy
    By the middle of 1963, 59 percent of Americans surveyed claimed that they had voted for him in 1960, although only 49.7 percent of voters had actually done so. After his death, his landslide grew to 65 percent.

Could be a case of fake memories.
    True. He had a very high approval rating before his assassination. 71%. And I am one of the few on here who remembers what I was doing the day he did die. Like it was yesterday. But I was too young to vote for him when he ran.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    No and I don’t need to.
    Actually you do, or your argument becomes moot. If @GreenGoldSharpie is not an expert on the issue you trust and their definition is wrong then who is an which is right?

The headline is a fairly decent indicator of the content in that article, it is calling for racial segregation in journalism, which is abhorrent.

Do you support racial segregation?
    It's not. Apparently you don't know what segregation is.

When have I said that discrimination isn’t a thing? I have argued that not all people of a particular race have the same wants or experiences, so basing politics on race is stupid. Politics should be based on shared ideology, not shared skin colour.
    People of certain demographics have certain shared experiences. And things that affect them. A transphobe hates all trans people. That affects all trans people that encounter him.

Happy MLK Day, let's destroy an H&M because of a T-shirt we didn't like!

Gee, wonder why people don't give a fuck about this holiday?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawstruck View Post
    Happy MLK Day, let's destroy an H&M because of a T-shirt we didn't like!

Gee, wonder why people don't give a fuck about this holiday?
    ...Those 2 are unrelated and even happened in different countries. The fuck?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Actually you do, or your argument becomes moot. If @GreenGoldSharpie is not an expert on the issue you trust and their definition is wrong then who is an which is right?
    No I don’t, my definition fits the mainstream political usage.

It's not. Apparently you don't know what segregation is.
    My use of the word is perfectly acceptable in English, stating that journalists can only write articles if they are of a certain skin colour is journalistic racial segregation and that is what she called for.

People of certain demographics have certain shared experiences.
    That is nonsense. Some people from a demographic will have some similar experiences to some others in that demographic, not all will.

Experience doesn’t transmit via skin colour, it’s lived by the individual.

And things that affect them. A transphobe hates all trans people. That affects all trans people that encounter him.
    That isn’t necessarily true at all, a transphobe might meet 100 transsexuals and say nothing unpleasant to 99 of them.

No I don’t, my definition fits the mainstream political usage.
    You keep saying that. You keep evading backing it up.

My use of the word is perfectly acceptable in English, stating that journalists can only write articles if they are of a certain skin colour is journalistic racial segregation and that is what she called for.
    Rofl, the article criticizes instances of the voices of marginalized people being ignored on topics about the experiences of said marginalized people.
    Again, you didn't read the article, just got mad at the head line.

That is nonsense. Some people from a demographic will have some similar experiences to some others in that demographic, not all will.

Experience doesn’t transmit via skin colour, it’s lived by the individual.

That isn’t necessarily true at all, a transphobe might meet 100 transsexuals and say nothing unpleasant to 99 of them.
    So systematic discrimination does not exist? Although, I get it. To you bigotry = Saying mean things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    You keep saying that. You keep evading backing it up.
    You seem to be expecting a dictionary definition or suchlike, showing that you don’t even understand the subject. I have an example already, that is sufficient.

To illustrate my point, this is what I said about identity politics...

“That isn’t what identity politics does, rather it assumes that people of a particular race, gender or sexuality can be pigeonholed and spoken for as a group. It is the opposite of individuality.”

And further...

“They aren’t speaking solely for themselves, they take it upon themselves to speak for all black people, all gay men, etc. so you are wrong.

Identity politics advocates are self appointed representatives of groups which consist of people with diverse opinions, experiences and backgrounds.”

You are claiming that people of a certain race share experiences, you are doing exactly what I said advocates of identity politics do and arguing against my definition in the same post.

This is what you said on the matter...

“People of certain demographics have certain shared experiences. And things that affect them.”

That fits in perfectly with my definition, you are pigeonholing people based on their race and trying to claim they can be represented as a single group.

Rofl, the article criticizes instances of the voices of marginalized people being ignored on topics about the experiences of said marginalized people.
    Again, you didn't read the article, just got mad at the head line.
    She is calling for journalists of particular skin colours to not write about certain subjects.

Here she is saying that a white journalist is the ‘wrong person’ to write about ‘wokeness’ and her argument is based on skin colour...

“It was an “unwoke”, lazy shortcut that proved that he was the wrong person to be writing an article on the basis of a word that has roots in black American activist culture...”

It’s in the article, that you somehow missed it is quite curious, almost as if you deliberately ignored those parts.

So systematic discrimination does not exist?
    Not everyone of a demographic will have the same experiences of discrimination and some won’t have experienced it at all.

There is no such thing as a universally shared experience gained through similarity of skin colour. You are entering the realms of magic with that sort of baloney.

Although, I get it. To you bigotry = Saying mean things.
    So now you are telling me what I think? You are deluded. You can’t read minds.
    Last edited by Kalis; 2018-01-16 at 04:24 PM.

You seem to be expecting a dictionary definition or suchlike, showing that you don’t even understand the subject. I have an example already, that is sufficient.

To illustrate my point, this is what I said about identity politics...

“That isn’t what identity politics does, rather it assumes that people of a particular race, gender or sexuality can be pigeonholed and spoken for as a group. It is the opposite of individuality.”

And further...

“They aren’t speaking solely for themselves, they take it upon themselves to speak for all black people, all gay men, etc. so you are wrong.

Identity politics advocates are self appointed representatives of groups which consist of people with diverse opinions, experiences and backgrounds.”

You are claiming that people of a certain race share experiences, you are doing exactly what I said advocates of identity politics do and arguing against my definition in the same post.

This is what you said on the matter...

“People of certain demographics have certain shared experiences. And things that affect them.”

That fits in perfectly with my definition, you are pigeonholing people based on their race and trying to claim they can be represented as a single group.
    No, I expect to back something up. If what she says is Identity Politics and you say it isn't you have to say what is.

She is calling for journalists of particular skin colours to not write about certain subjects.

Here she is saying that a white journalist is the ‘wrong person’ to write about ‘wokeness’ and her argument is based on skin colour...

“It was an “unwoke”, lazy shortcut that proved that he was the wrong person to be writing an article on the basis of a word that has roots in black American activist culture...”

It’s in the article, that you somehow missed it is quite curious, almost as if you deliberately ignored those parts.
    She is telling people who have no clue what they are talking about to leave it to the people who do. As white people don't experience systematic discrimination in our society their experience is never first hand. I'm not ignoring that part, I was agreeing with her.

Not everyone of a demographic will have the same experiences of discrimination and some won’t have experienced it at all.

There is no such thing as a universally shared experience gained through similarity of skin colour. You are entering the realms of magic with that sort of baloney.
    There is a shared experience among demographics when society treats demographics in certain ways. The source does not lie in the skin color but the treatment because of said skin color. This is really not that hard to understand.

So now you are telling me what I think? You are deluded. You can’t read minds.
    Quote: "and say nothing unpleasant"