Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    It's not tearing someone down to acknowledge that they are or were human beings with flaws. MLK was a Christian, so he clearly understood this and would disagree with what you are saying. I disagree that it's offensive.
    You're wrong. It's offensive to tear down MLK for literally no stated reason. The man was a hero, and nothing is served by assuming he would have been any less heroic, had he not been murdered by that Democrat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    You lot are making it a zero-sum game wherein any criticism of the system is suddenly 'absolving violent protestors of their violent actions'.
    There you go with that "you lot" bit again.

And you are the one who seems unable to criticize the violent "protesters"... You keep saying "they can both be bad, but its the system that is really to blame!"

Yeah those horrible people... Advocating that we judge people by who they are instead of what they look like...

The monsters.

- - - Updated - - -

The stated reason is that hes not a god, hes not superman, hes a person.
    Yes, he is human. Do you really not understand how offensive it is, to tear down MLK, on freaking MLK day, for things he never did, but just that you presume he might have? If MLK is not a hero, then I don't know what hero means, I guess.

I can't believe you people would ruin a nice thread, about a great man, for literally no stated reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    There you go with that "you lot" bit again.

And you are the one who seems unable to criticize the violent "protesters"... You keep saying "they can both be bad, but its the system that is really to blame!"
    I take a solid attitude that calling out the protestors for being violent while not focusing on what caused the protests in the first place is not seeing the forest for the trees, and is the white privilege version of virtue signalling.

"But guys you're disappointing MLK by being violent :'(". It's trying to straddle this weird line between holding up a civil rights figure as proof that you're totally not complicit in society's abuses because 'you're on his side' while actually seeing no issue with the status quo and trying to dismiss entirely legitimate concerns because...BLM are just ingrates who couldn't be happy with the sops given to them, or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly there is still much more work to be done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    You are legit doing the opposite of what MLK believed.

Rather than inviting these people to illustrate the perceived injustice and put their freedom where their mouth is, like MLK did, you are absolving them of all blame and blaming something else.

Imagine if instead of these wise words MLK said "I didn't do anything, fuck rich white men and fuck the system!"
    Well he isn't obligated to be MLK, and neither is anybody else, keep in mind he was gun down by the same idiots who try to do the same thing to PoC today and use MLK as some sort BS notion he would be ok with that.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and social factors such as being in a group explain violence and looting far better than the notion of someone lashing out against white people by stealing a pair of sneakers.
    It certainly explains why someone felt the need to 'lash out against white people' in the first place far better than "lack of virtue".
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Happy James Earl Ray Day everyone!

Infracted
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2018-01-16 at 07:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Yes, he was a true Civil Rights leader, wish we had one of those today.
    Instead we have a President who is emboldening neo nazis. Sad days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah those horrible people... Advocating that we judge people by who they are instead of what they look like...

The monsters.
    It's not monstrous, it's just shallow. Repeating that quote and saying "but identity politics" is using a past critique of American society that is still applicable and constructing this impossible retrospective standard that modern people need to be held to, in order to dismiss their concerns when people fail to meet that impossible standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    And a sentiment abused by people under the idiotic impression that somehow all of the racial issues have somehow been 'fixed' and it's only malcontent people with no legitimate grievances who keep bringing up 'identity politics'.

Imagine that.
    Racism to combat racism is retarded and identity politics is racist. It needs to die, it isn’t resolving issues, it is creating them.

We even have people making utterly moronic claims such as you can’t be racist towards white people, in order to justify their racism, it’s ludicrous.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say anyone did anything because of a lack of virtue. I said some people will do bad things when given the opportunity, and there doesn't need to be some kind of special or noble reason for it.
    And that's a conclusion which in no way controls for the social and economic factors.

"Sometimes legs fall off due to diabetes". Which is a true statement but in no way controls for the fact the leg in question was rotting due to leprosy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    Instead we have a President who is emboldening neo nazis. Sad days.
    Canada has a President? Does QE2 know?

I never said he wasn't a hero though, I just said he was also a person with flaws just like all other people.

You seem to be really emotional about this, probably because your whole "Use MLK to bash democrats" shtick isn't working.
    Dude. The man is an American hero. Why would you do this? What vile reason could you possibly have, to deny the greatness of his deeds? This is just sick....I'm through with you on this...you are ruining the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Racism to combat racism is retarded and identity politics is racist. It needs to die, it isn’t resolving issues, it is creating them.

We even have people making utterly moronic claims such as you can’t be racist towards white people, in order to justify their racism, it’s ludicrous.
    Ignoring the fact that "identity politics" have been a thing since representative government has been a thing, maybe if you want to actually delegitimise the people saying 'you can't be racist against whites' you should be striving to fix institutional and systemic issues that give that side its legitimacy.

You know, like how it's significantly more effective to defuse Communist fifth column activities by improving people's living conditions so they aren't tempted to try and upend the established regime.

- - - Updated - - -

Because social or economic factors don't explain a normally law-abiding citizen deciding to steal or burn shit when given the opportunity... But group psychology does.
    The two are not mutually exclusive. And I'm not sure what you think social factors are except a function of group psychology.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post

Preach!

The reason these kids are tearing down MLK in this thread, is that they don't believe in what he believed anymore. So, Democrats hated MLK then, and they hate him now, I guess. We seem to have come full circle.

It does truly amaze me though, that Leftists can't see that identity politics, and "white privilege" are fundamentally racist. Surely they are not this dumb. Surely they are just saying these things, because they think it's justified racism.

Let's see...

The answer is no, he wouldn't necessarily be 'okay' with violent protests but he would probably advocate putting the blame where it belongs - on the system - rather than blaming black people for being 'ungrateful' or whatever the All Lives Matter crowd believes in these days.
    the system bro... the fucking system man.. take it down, down with the SYSTEM!

lmao get real

10+ Year Old Account
    "Judge people by the content of their character" is not an impossible standard, and is one of the easiest standards you could possibly meet. It's even easier than the golden rule "Treat others as you would like to be treated"
    Which, as we've seen, is only true when you perceive others as part of your in-group to start with.

And that's really what a lot of these social reform movements are about, ultimately; it's less a function of eliminating prejudice and more a function of expanding the in-group to be more inclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Uh, you're wrong. He was about non-violent civil disobedience. That means breaking the law. He was arrested on many occasions for breaking laws he felt were unjust.
    im glad we all can break laws we feel are unjust. MLK was needed at the time. his message would be lost now as blacks and minorities in general face no discrimination in 2018.

- - - Updated - - -

"Judge people by the content of their character" is not an impossible standard, and is one of the easiest standards you could possibly meet. It's even easier than the golden rule "Treat others as you would like to be treated"
    i highly doubt MLK would want us to judge blacks by the content of their character in todays world. that would be a lot of blacks easily discarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    im glad we all can break laws we feel are unjust. MLK was needed at the time. his message would be lost now as blacks and minorities in general face no discrimination in 2018.
    Holy shit, you actually believe racism is gone?