Same Faction Restrictions on the Same Server

Way back in the day, Blizzard had a style to prevent verbal griefing, targeted camping. Once you made alliance or horde on a server, you could only make characters of the same faction on that server.

Players got used to this policy, no matter how odd it seemed at the time. If they wanted to try the other faction, they would simply need to roll on a different server.

Later Blizzard did away with same-faction servers - but only because they were promoting added-value services (paid-for faction transfers, in this case).

I think Blizzard should use the original Vanilla policy of only 1 faction per server. This is how the game was built, originally. To prevent someone logging in YOUR faction to bitch you out for killing them. To prevent someone from monitoring your movements, so they can switch back and ultimately farm you, all day. To prevent guild monitoring ... many more reasons.

IMO, it would be very un-Vanilla-like if Blizzard allows multi-factions per server. They may try this to make some $$ via faction flips, but I will still frown upon it.

These are my thoughts ... what are yours?

In the logic of the lore, the Alliance and Horde would have spies in each other's factions though.

With Battle.net being included in Vanilla the communication lines will already exist. I see no reason to limit it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Way back in the day, Blizzard had a style to prevent verbal griefing, targeted camping. Once you made alliance or horde on a server, you could only make characters of the same faction on that server.

Players got used to this policy, no matter how odd it seemed at the time. If they wanted to try the other faction, they would simply need to roll on a different server.

Later Blizzard did away with same-faction servers - but only because they were promoting added-value services (paid-for faction transfers, in this case).

I think Blizzard should use the original Vanilla policy of only 1 faction per server. This is how the game was built, originally. To prevent someone logging in YOUR faction to bitch you out for killing them. To prevent someone from monitoring your movements, so they can switch back and ultimately farm you, all day. To prevent guild monitoring ... many more reasons.

IMO, it would be very un-Vanilla-like if Blizzard allows multi-factions per server. They may try this to make some $$ via faction flips, but I will still frown upon it.

These are my thoughts ... what are yours?
    This was only a rule for PvP servers... NOT PvE servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    afaik private servers don't even restrict it on any server so why not let people make two of the different factions? It's not a big deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's senseless to do this on PVE servers. I don't much care about something like this on PVP servers.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Yes it needs to be like this on PvP servers. Too much shenanigans otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    With Battle.net being included in Vanilla the communication lines will already exist. I see no reason to limit it.
    I didn't see the problem with Battle.net integration. My initial thought was "it's a friend's list - who cares. No, it wasn't in Classic, but it shouldn't take away from the game."

BUT, I'm still in a PvE server mindset. Originally I was on PvP and that was such a different world. It's not something that comes to mind immediately, but in this version of the game, where World PvP is still a thing, it could cause big issues to have both factions on a server and/or having full Battle.net integration.

The other problem to consider, though, is Discord is a thing. Online communication is SO different and so much easier than it was 15 years ago, so the sad reality may be that there's nothing that can be done to prevent griefing or collusion on these servers. I'd still argue that Blizz should try to do what they can to limit that by not introducing extra possibilities that could be used in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaquenon View Post
    I didn't see the problem with Battle.net integration. My initial thought was "it's a friend's list - who cares. No, it wasn't in Classic, but it shouldn't take away from the game."

BUT, I'm still in a PvE server mindset. Originally I was on PvP and that was such a different world. It's not something that comes to mind immediately, but in this version of the game, where World PvP is still a thing, it could cause big issues to have both factions on a server and/or having full Battle.net integration.

The other problem to consider, though, is Discord is a thing. Online communication is SO different and so much easier than it was 15 years ago, so the sad reality may be that there's nothing that can be done to prevent griefing or collusion on these servers. I'd still argue that Blizz should try to do what they can to limit that by not introducing extra possibilities that could be used in-game.
    Battle.net will be included, it is a given as it is there account management and security platform. There is no doubt that this will happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know, that was only a restriction on pvp servers (and will probably remain a restriction on pvp servers). I played on pve and had both factions right from the day I began playing.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly can't recall. I was on a function of PvP servers. Though, even though people ask for a relic to be displayed as a museum tour, I think we could get rid of this at least.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    In the logic of the lore, the Alliance and Horde would have spies in each other's factions though.
    lore is worthless here as classic's lore is already done and gone and this is a soly gameplay feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    afaik private servers don't even restrict it on any server so why not let people make two of the different factions? It's not a big deal.
    Private servers don't charge any money, and allow you to make any number of accounts you wish. Hence, there is no point attempting to limit this, the players can just make a second account no problem. In Blizzard wow, accounts cost money.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

Hardcore purist vineri didn't know that the restriction was pvp only. Color me shocked.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Are people expecting there to be more than 1 PVP server? If there's only 1 server, then I doubt they'd stop you from making a toon from each faction on it.

The restrictions, which were PVP-server only btw, were lifted because they became increasingly unnecessary and outdated, especially post-cross-server BGs. They existed to prevent cross-faction harassment and, later, to stop people from gaming the system, but the problem was never the broad-reaching, looming specter they assumed it would be.

The restrictions also weren't lifted to promote faction xferring, and I have no clue where you came up with that idea. If they wanted to promote faction xfer they would have KEPT the faction limitations, because it means if you want to switch sides for a PVP advantage on your PVP-server main you have to pay, as opposed to just leveling a new character on the other faction.

It's also a terrible idea to reimplement for a few reasons, namely, population. Faction pop is essentially locked on these sorts of servers, which can lead to a pretty gross imbalance, especially if server pop is limited as it is (which it will be, after a few months.) Having everyone capable of playing both factions alleviates this a bit.

Again like many have said. The restriction was only for pvp servers. Why else do you think some pvp servers even to this day still have crazy x amount of this faction vs a crazy low x amount of this faction? Some people probably just stuck to the one faction because they enjoy it vs adding another to their accounts.

Either way if Blizzard is making this version classic I think they're going to stick with how everything was during vanilla. Obviously minus battle.net atm because well it's a more balanced way to organize your games and crap so I don't see how that can be an issue other than a hella petty one.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    lore is worthless here as classic's lore is already done and gone and this is a soly gameplay feature.
    How does that make any sense?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MMKing View Post
    Private servers don't charge any money, and allow you to make any number of accounts you wish. Hence, there is no point attempting to limit this, the players can just make a second account no problem. In Blizzard wow, accounts cost money.
    Fair point I hadn't considered that. I still don't really see the big deal. I'm assuming the new bnet will somehow be integrated into classic so if you do a ignore even if they make a toon on your faction to grief then they're account bound and they're just wasting their time. Now the other problems like tracking your location and guild.. spying I guess? I never had problems with that but if it is a problem then sure keep it how it was in vanilla and restrict on PvP servers.

Ally and horde should be separated on pvp realms.