Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Nixon resigned.

Hitler is German.

Stalin is Russian.

Can you tell me how any of this is somehow worse for American Politics than right now?
    Democracy dies in darkness.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Even if they do "despise" them, it's because the conservative poor keep voting for the party who wants to continue widening the gap.
    When it comes to actual policy Republicans always favor the wealthy over the poor. I warned people of this before the election but they just kept shouting something about social justice and fake news.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Since when? The liberals have always been consistent in trying to help the poor. Even if they do "despise" them, it's because the conservative poor keep voting for the party who wants to continue widening the gap.

Your post is just another shallow attempt of the "both sides do it" argument.
    Liberals have always been consistent in using "helping the poor" as a selling point to get votes.

Neither side cares about the poor beyond getting their vote. It's extremely naive to think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Liberals have always been consistent in using "helping the poor" as a selling point to get votes.

Neither side cares about the poor beyond getting their vote. It's extremely naive to think otherwise.
    I highly disagree. Oh and Obama was fighting for less Taxes on the middle class before the Republicans completely blocked Obama. since FDR Democrats definitely have a better track record for helping the common man over the the rich.

10+ Year Old Account

Just because you happen to hold a reprehensible viewpoint does not mean the opposition also shares that viewpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

also don't forget that Hillary Clinton fought for Universal healthcare at one point letalone Obamacare is a good statement people want better healthcare reform.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Just because you happen to hold a reprehensible viewpoint does not mean the opposition also shares that viewpoint.

I simply choose to see things for what they are and not to get influenced by political marketing.

Both are sides of the same coin. Btw, that's also what they care most about. Coins.

The average person is just seen as voting cattle.
    /moo

I simply choose to see things for what they are and not to get influenced by political marketing.

Both are sides of the same coin. Btw, that's also what they care most about. Coins.

The average person is just seen as voting cattle.
    /moo
    Yeah look at Policy, Historically Democrats have been catered more for the Poor and or working class in America since FDR.

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    Looks like the homeless tent communities in the OC off the Santa Ana River.
    Those shacks probably were better then tents in every way.

Most likely you cannot build shacks there today because that would go against some zoning regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I mean, they will have children, and granchildren and so on. And all of them will want to cash out or at least take control at some point. Life extension is not the game changer. Eugenics are as is the ability to better interface with computers, something that is actively being researched.
    You could argue that current rich are already result of eugenic approach (you don't see rich mix with poor that much).

It's a sci-fi movie, no it's not inevitable because it's not going to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    On some level we are already there - the rich prey on the poor and weak, they have better lives, better health, better access to everything. They have no limits. They are untouchable and above the law. Certainly exceptions exist - and some of the best of the rich will make the world better.

On a practical level, Elysium couldn't literally happen because of, well, frankly, orbital mechanics. That ring they constructed wouldn't be possible for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

The healthcare side of that movie, the symbolism and outright message, is also clear. And interesting. We have the ability to save so many people who die each year, and we don't - and with just the flick of a button we could change it all. But we won't.

Not sure if I agree with the inevitable trajectory of America, although the vision I just portrayed certainly qualifies.
    Well said.
    Dystopian future is already here, the only difference is that there are too many of the fancy blinkers and colors obstructing the view, when these will fade the more gray-ish movie-like dystopian reality will emerge.

In USA (and in a large portion of the "civilized" world) hundreds of children will die helpless although there is a cure for their illness solely because they can't afford the cure.

They are literally not rich enough to be given a chance to live, not sure if it's getting more dystopian that this to be honest.

You don't need a fancy ring orbiting the earth to observe this, only a walk around your neighborhood i guess.
    Last edited by Keosen; 2018-01-17 at 01:22 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    On some level we are already there - the rich prey on the poor and weak, they have better lives, better health, better access to everything. They have no limits. They are untouchable and above the law. Certainly exceptions exist - and some of the best of the rich will make the world better.

On a practical level, Elysium couldn't literally happen because of, well, frankly, orbital mechanics. That ring they constructed wouldn't be possible for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

The healthcare side of that movie, the symbolism and outright message, is also clear. And interesting. We have the ability to save so many people who die each year, and we don't - and with just the flick of a button we could change it all. But we won't.

Not sure if I agree with the inevitable trajectory of America, although the vision I just portrayed certainly qualifies.
    How exactly do the rich "prey on the poor and weak"? By not willingly giving the poor their wealth or do you literally believe the poor have income that the rich are stealing from them?
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Deleted
    Here is a quick link to some pictures that really sort of shows that we are already somewhat at that precipice where rich and poor really are these two different worlds that don't communicate, don't interact and in general are wall offed (figuratively and literally) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...yscrapers.html

Also it is the daily heil, so... You know, don't get too triggered

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    How exactly do the rich "prey on the poor and weak"? By not willingly giving the poor their wealth or do you literally believe the poor have income that the rich are stealing from them?
    One example could be
    CEO Pay Has Grown 90 Times Faster than Typical Worker Pay Since 1978/

In fact there are so many ways the rich are exploiting (literally preying) the poor that i'm not sure if it's a valid question or you just trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Is "Elysium" inevitable?
    In a word, no. Setting aside the whole "orbital world" idea, "Elysium" isn't based on reality or even what could be. It's based on what the Left want us to think will happen if we don't go along with their philosophy/plans/legislation. It's one of the reasons the flick bombed... besides being obviously pathetic, it was pathetically obvious.

Try getting a loan by making $7.5 an hour to "invest" in property, aka buy it and raise its rent even more to have tenants pay for your loans

Check out how wallmart treats its workers.

Even if you invest all your $7.5 you make an hour, you are never going to reach a decent investment. Lets not forget how expensive rent is, doubtful you can buy your own small home to reduce living costs. After all bills are paid, you still cant invest enough to become rich

Check out monopoly. Cartel. Inflation, especially if wages are not increasing at the same rate.

Immigration (more people fighting for a job means less pay, also more people spending money)

American internet providers fucking people in the ass

Not sure if you are this clueless or just trying to troll

10+ Year Old Account
    Id rather have a Halo over Elysium.

Sticky Grenades > Exo Suit.

We create the "predatory rich" on purpose. We set up laws and administrative systems that allow some tiny part of population to exploit certain resources that actually belong to everyone - but you will not get a cut, you are just expected to pay for the privilege of being in the same country with the chosen few. We could be talking about the creation of the railway system, oil drilling, fisheries - it's all the same. Hammer the little guy so that the likes of the Koch brothers or the Walton family can make even MORE bank. Those folks are already richer than gods, yet somehow its important to make sure they can continue to make even more money, no end in sight.

Personally, I have an amount of money that isn't even that large that would influence me to significantly walk away from society and just go live somewhere on my own. Not quite there yet, closer all the time though. I would never have some pathological desire to make more money that I don't even need.

The United States is already a dystopia, elite enclaves and ghettos.

I mean, look at some of you assholes. You voted for Trump and are still proud of it. I recognize, as always, that Hillary was the Dems version of throwing the election. But still, many of you voted the least qualified person to be president and think he's your guy, that he has the desire to help you out instead of simply lining his own pockets and ignoring anything you may want or need. Trump is a racist, used car salesman and yet somehow many of you still trusted him and think it was the right choice.

Nearly 50% of you are unable to understand how to vote for your own interests.

The predatory rich do not have that problem. The Koch brothers and Walton family always have their hand out. "Give us more," they say.

- - - Updated - - -

Money buys everything in the U.S. It buys influence, legislation, judges, case law, etc.

There's another thread on how the oil business is booming in the U.S. Have you ever wondered what gives one person or group the right to exploit a natural resource like that at the expense of his fellows?

We give the predatory rich their wealth, it' not the other way around. And then they are never satisfied. They always want more. Right now, today, we could take away those rights to drill and exploit that natural resource that actually belongs to everyone. We make the rich and then expect some degree of quid pro quo, but we then don't get it. Some asshole named Koch doesn't have any more right to make money on oil than you or I. If these jokers are going to be bad citizens then we should just cut them off. Of course, the reason we don't is all of the power that money buys.

So yes, the predatory rich literally steal from the poor because they are bad citizens. They don't pay back what is given to them in any way.

Do you recall the banking crisis of 2007-2008. You ask these questions sincerely? Every taxpayer no matter how poor has been asked to cover for the criminal behavior of people that are "too big to fail."

You seem unusually poorly informed about how things actually work.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Except they really havent. Its more or less the status quo with Trump, bombastic bragging and Twitter rambling aside. What Trump has done is nothing more then any other Repub (and less drastic then someone like Romney or Cruz would have done) Basically all he's done is minorly expand programs that already existed under, or were created by Obama/Bush, let expiring programs expire and sit around talking smack....
    Then you haven't been paying attention. This is the absolute WORST "leader" we've had in the white house in at least 100 years - I would personally put him at #1. And it has NOTHING to do with his policies. He is, in one word, deplorable.

- - - Updated - - -

Exploitation. Not paying a living wage. Not allowing for healthcare to be affordable. Preventing people from getting out of debt. For-profit prisons.

Take your pick. And there are plenty more. It's pathetic that you think "not giving them money" is the answer. You need to PAY ATTENTION.

Saw this the other day...
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.