Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Google 10char
    Current Rig
    Intel i5 3570K | Corsair H100 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | R9 390 8GB | G.Skill 16GB | Intel 520 Series 180GB | 8TB in HDDs
    Seasonic X-760 760W | 27" U2711 Dell | Corsair 600T | Logitech Z506 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    Actually this is about to change fairly quickly. Younger generations actually don't like dealing with other people, and I have some sympathy with their position. You are about to see a lot of automation in restaurants: from chefs, line cooks, wait staff, etc.

About a year ago it came to my attention that some restaurants already allow you to use a terminal at the table to place your order and to pay for it as well. The wait staff is sort of there just to bring the food out once its prepared, maybe check on you from time to time.

A kiosk at the front could direct you to an open table or give you estimate of the wait. Servers can readily be replaced with robots. Chefs etc are apparently absolutely on the way out.

Nobody is saying that a machine can create a menu, but they can readily be programmed to perform every step of food cooking, construction, presentation and service to the table.

I would say this will happen for mid-level restaurants on down. Maybe the highest levels of dining will still be staffed by human beings.

Then again, perhaps not.

Personally, I am not throwing away my two sets of carbon steel knives just yet if ever.
    I don't even know where to begin about this. I was talking about low quality fast food (IE McDonalds, Arby's, crap that is so low quality that it never mattered to begin with), not restaurants you actually sit down and eat at. Even if having robotic waiters was possible and feasible -- it is not -- it would be extremely offensive to the kind of people wanting to go to a classy establishment. And if you think that a machine can be programmed to cook chef-quality food, I am sorry but you are insane. Machines are not reliable enough to do that, let alone adjust to a particular palate as requested.

Fast food could be dispensed in theory, but even just being able to have someone smile at you as you order or being able to say "my fries were too cold" and have them make a fresh batch for you... these kinds of things are a huge deal. That level of interaction is literally required. Even if the cooking was automated, the interaction with a human will always be absolutely required, even for a fast food restaurant.

Now what I do think will happen is that less human interaction will be necessary over time. And even this will not occur to the level you are thinking it will. Those 'terminals' you are talking about, virtually never get used unless people are forced to use them. Young adults, as you put it, are not typically eating out nor are they 'avoiding' social interaction. That type of personality is probably going to cook their own food, and it's not a 'younger generation' thing so much as a 'socially awkward' thing.

You might as well say "we won't have cars anymore, because everyone is going to have hover cars in a decade". That actually could happen if the technology was produced, but you cannot change human nature. Humans will always desire interaction with other humans, and that is never going to change. Nothing can replace that need, least of all a machine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Fidget spinners.
    People use fidget spinners every day? That's... I don't even know how to respond to that. Wat?

Wifi - replaced by 5g (maybe 6g by then)
    DVD's/discs - replaced by digital media
    Cable TV - probably not GONE totally but not nearly as relevant as today
    Newspapers - already on the way out
    Taxi services - replaced by driverless cars and ride sharing
    Capitalism - okay probably not in 10 years, but it's not going to stand the test of time.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2018-01-23 at 06:18 AM.

Physical media and cable TV is still gonna stick around at least in the US until the internet infrastructure is fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    I don't even know where to begin about this. I was talking about low quality fast food (IE McDonalds, Arby's, crap that is so low quality that it never mattered to begin with), not restaurants you actually sit down and eat at. Even if having robotic waiters was possible and feasible -- it is not -- it would be extremely offensive to the kind of people wanting to go to a classy establishment. And if you think that a machine can be programmed to cook chef-quality food, I am sorry but you are insane.
    Hey, just some links, take them as you will...

"Millennials' hatred of 'dealing with people' is a major threat to fast-food workers"
    http://www.businessinsider.com/mille...-people-2016-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKCVol2iWcc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNcPVvIs_tk

For the finest level of cuisine, I can understand that real human beings will still be needed, but for more average fair I think a machine can be taught to do most of what you seem to imagine it cannot do. That's just the state of the technology.

Even now, many restaurants take a staggering amount of food out of plastic wrapped and microwaved packages than you might care to imagine. All that shit is mass produced, mainly by machines, somewhere and not by exacting standards either. That lobster bisque? Mass produced. Your cheesecake dessert? Mass produced. etc.

DVD players and similar devices. Maybe not completely, as it is still the cheapest method of data storage. But I think we are going to move away from them and into USB ROM and storage devices as they are getting cheaper.

Deleted
    Most of the things ppl mention here are with us for decades and won't disappear in decades. What I mean?
    Physical data storage: we still use magnetic tape for storing data. There is constant development of the technology. In 2014, they already had 185TB tapes.
    https://www.extremetech.com/computin...a-blu-ray-disc
    DVD/other type of discs will also remain to exist, because of the same reason of the magnetic tape. Simply there is important data that must be stored and able to be accessed w/o any kind of network connection at any time and any place.

You ppl rely too much on your network connections. I don't say it's a bad thing, because who wants that high amount of obsolete data on their hard drives once they watched a movie. Yes, most of the movies and music are obsolete and it's not needed on your hard drive. However unique data, like family moments filmed or photographed must be stored and have multiple copies, because it's special and can't be reproduced/downloaded again.

In the last 10 years almost nothing changed in data storage technology, we just push the limits further.

Some mentioned newspapers. It's the same thing that I mentioned above. It's storing data w/o any network connections, and it's accessible any time any place. Ofc most of that data is obsolete too, but there are some articles that worth saving for later, so these must be stored.

Think about those ancient stone monuments, clay tablets that store data. It's not a coincidence: physical data storage must remain in existence, or else a blackout or some fanatic idiot could simply erase our history by destroying data banks.

What I think that will change (not completely disappear) in 10 years:
    • We move closer to wireless technology.
    • Better batteries for storing energy. More emphasis on electronic vehicles.
    • In Japan, we will see even more robots and automated services, the rest of the Earth follows them in 5-10 years.
    Last edited by mmoc9aac36c166; 2018-01-23 at 07:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    [Common Sense]
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Old business software - or at least once they've been able to figure out how to get the reports etc into PDF/A format.

PDF/A is an interesting format and it is already quite old.

Deleted
    Windows XP?

In 10 years, what will have gone from ou lifes.... The last 10 years of our lives and the amount of regret that we didnt do stuff we wanted to back then.

I'd hate to think that everything we need that people have said like keys, money, drivers licence will be put onto a smart phone.. The amount of people that will be locked out, broke or ID stolen when your phone gets pinched will be a nightmare... I still pay with cash, have keys in my pocket and ID in wallet that i keep in a pocket that's zipped up..

I think TV programming will be gone, replaced by the internet.

Deleted
    It would be nice if it was all or nearly all paper based media. SO useless now specially to relay news, cant be updated etc...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    The word racist, the word has lost all meaning.
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/racism

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Capitalism
    With enough automation were robots do literally everything for us and no one needs to do a damn thing maybe, but more then ten years away.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I am shocked that internet speeds seem to be such a problem for so many people here, I live in the uk and my upload speed is 384, I know thats on the highend but a lot of people I know have plenty for streaming things like netflix and bandwidth doesn't tend to be an issue here.
    Lok'tar Ogar! Death to the Alliance filth in the name of the Horde!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I think people in the US often have fairly poor internet service. In Europe there were often significant public subsidies (or EU subsidies) to improve existing lines or in Eastern Europe the lines were pretty damn recent so they were high quality to begin with.
    I literally sit here with BBC news in the background or Sky news live channel on the computer (see if they report on the same things with a different spin and try to make my mind up based on other sources) and world of warcraft and icyveins and mmo champ etc and it'll run fine.
    Lok'tar Ogar! Death to the Alliance filth in the name of the Horde!

5+ Year Old Account
    In 10 years, what is something we use everyday that will be gone?

I like this thread.

My thoughts, answers:

- Fidget Spinners
    - Cable TV
    - Landlines
    - Justin Bieber
    - Flip phones
    - Dial-up internet
    - E-cigarettes
    - Hard disk drives
    - World of warcraft
    - Privacy
    - Yahoo.com
    - Hotmail e-mail
    - ???

I forgot what fairy tale it was, but the kids were fattened up before the villain wanted to eat them.
    Are we being fattened up and purposely being weekend?. If so by whom?. #releaseTheMemo

5+ Year Old Account
    - Crocs (those things are so fugly)
    - Pay phones
    - Ipods (i hope not though, i still use my ipod touch)