Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Texas judge interrupts jury, says God told him defendant is not guilty

Texas judge interrupts jury, says God told him defendant is not guilty

A Comal County judge said God told him to intervene in jury deliberations to sway jurors to return a not guilty verdict in the trial of a Buda woman accused of trafficking a teen girl for sex.

Judge Jack Robison apologized to jurors for the interruption, but defended his actions by telling them “when God tells me I gotta do something, I gotta do it,” according to the Herald-Zeitung in New Braunfels.

The jury went against the judge’s wishes, finding Gloria Romero-Perez guilty of continuous trafficking of a person and later sentenced her to 25 years in prison. They found her not guilty of a separate charge of sale or purchase of a child.

Robison, who also presides in Hays and Caldwell counties, did not respond to a message left with his court coordinator, Steve Thomas, who said the case is still pending. Robison is scheduled to return to the bench in Comal County on Jan. 31.

The Herald-Zeitung reported that Robison recused himself before the trial’s sentencing phase and was replaced by Judge Gary Steele. The defendant’s attorney asked for a mistrial, but was denied.

Robison’s actions could trigger an investigation from the State Commission on Judicial Conduct, which has disciplined Robison in the past.

In 2011, the commission slapped Robison with a private reprimand for improperly jailing a Caldwell County grandfather who had called him a fool for a ruling Robison made in a child custody case involving the man’s granddaughter.

The reprimand, the commission’s harshest form of rebuke, said Robison “exceeded the scope of his authority and failed to comply with the law” by jailing the man for contempt of court without a hearing or advance notice of the charge.

The act of intervening in a jury’s deliberations is not addressed in the state’s list of judicial canons, which serves as an ethical code for judges. However, it states judges shall “comply with the law and should act at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary.”

Eric Vinson, executive director for the commission, said he would not be able to confirm or deny if a complaint had been filed against Robison.
    This Judge needs to be removed for repeatedly abusing his powers.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious what was Gods reasoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, don't worry he is finished, I think a retrial is unlikely. Basically what it will come down to is a deal for a greatly reduced if almost no real punishment, in exchange for not bringing new charges.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    That would be irrelevant unless God is willing to give testimony. Even then it wouldn't likely save this judge.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

“when God tells me I gotta do something, I gotta do it,”

Well there you go.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    That would be irrelevant unless God is willing to give testimony. Even then it wouldn't likely save this judge.
    I'm just saying I've done lots of forms of divination and I wouldn't say I've ever gotten such a clear answer, I wonder then what is his method if he sincerely has such clear and concise instructions.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Robison’s actions could trigger an investigation from the State Commission on Judicial Conduct, which has disciplined Robison in the past.
    Just another religious nut that should never have been appointed as a judge.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Texas is the new Florida.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

I wonder if the judge would allow cameras into the courtroom for the testimony.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just saying I've done lots of forms of divination and I wouldn't say I've ever gotten such a clear answer, I wonder then what is his method if he sincerely has such clear and concise instructions.
    Neither has almost anyone else. Otherwise if they had, or you had, I am sure people would be talking about it for thousands of years after the fact.

I'm all for doing what God tells ya to. Just not in a court room in the United States of America when you're supposed to be an impartial judge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it's time we start mandatory drug testing on judicial members.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

We have a problem with "activist" judges now?

All he had to do was let the jury give their verdict then throw it out and make his own ruling.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    I wonder if the judge would allow cameras into the courtroom for the testimony.
    HahHahaha the great part about all this is for anyone with whom he has sentenced to any kind of jail now have a real shot at getting their sentence overturned LOL!

This is NOT good!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    New? Texas has always been Florida, but with better BBQ

I think Texas is the old Florida.

10+ Year Old Account
    How dare you question THE LORD!

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, you can believe in God but put that belief aside when you're in the courtroom.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

HahHahaha the great part about all this is for anyone with whom he has sentenced to any kind of jail now have a real shot at getting their sentence overturned LOL!

This is NOT good!
    Good point actually.

Wait. I thought Florida was the new Texas?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    How dare you question THE LORD!

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, you can believe in God but put that belief aside when you're in the courtroom.
    I don't doubt the sincerity of his faith, hell I may even grant that his God spoke to him. But his God probably should start showing signs OTHERS can see. I mean I'm more likely to believe a literal talking burning bush over say the words of a Texas man telling me to just trust him on that.

Something tells me there is more to this story than we are being told.

On a side note, I wish “God” would tell me the numbers to the lotto tomorrow.

Cheers