Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Dziubla View Post
    Probably because majority of night elves are rather old, not angry 12 year old horde fanboys from MMO-C, so...they don't care?
    They are more 12 year old alliance fanboys, oh im sorry that used to be humans soon to be void elves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

The development of Malfurion and Tyrande has been absolutely disappointing.. The latter has been pretty much redundant since the end of WC3.

Quote Originally Posted by valky94 View Post
    nope, nozdormu didnt bless the new world tree like he did the first one, so they arent immortal anymore
    But it wasn't new, it was healed and regrown. I'll assume you meant he didn't bless regrown Hyjal.

Quote Originally Posted by raivne View Post
    I can see the community is as reasonable and welcoming as ever.

Again - you are missing the point. We can argue about every single one of these claims separately. The broader question I am asking is - even if none of this is objectively her fault - why are her people not displeased with the current situation?

If you find this interesting, I'd love to hear your opinion. But it's not interesting or constructive if you just flame without trying to engage with the broader idea of the discussion.
    There is a big difference between being displeased with their situation and opposing Tyrande (even if it's just to the extent of protesting). Different cultures have different way to cope with disappointments against their leaders. For example, without going too much into real life politics, look at SEAsian countries (both the developed and developing ones) - the idea of going out to formally protest against the government isn't accepted as much as in Western countries. You won't find people doing it that often, especially when it's not even the leaders' faults. Unless the politician(s) did something terrible that directly harmed a lot of people or the country in a situation that can be avoided, people would just stop at mocking them (on the Internet, while chatting / gossiping / partying, etc.) at most. Similar point might be applied to the NE, even moreso given that WoW society is in a medieval settings.

There is a different between Tyrande and Sylvanas' situation here. The NE might, or might not be displeased with the situation, but they weren't displeased with Tyrande's decisions per se - as people have stated, most of what you brought up weren't even her faults. On the other hands, the Forsaken faction that doesn't go along with Sylvanas disagreed with her actions and goals (as far as we know, they don't find spreading the undeath "curse" a good thing, even if it's the only way to keep the Forsaken from going extinct). It might be another thing if there is any NE leaders who goes against Tyrande / Malfurion - however, it's rather convenient for Tyrande that her biggest possible political rival - Fandral, was kinda corrupted and had been killed a long time ago. The other leaders (i.e: Jarod), as far as we know, either have a good relationship with Tyrande / Malfurion, respected them, or both.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2018-01-21 at 08:40 AM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    But it wasn't new, it was healed and regrown. I'll assume you meant he didn't bless regrown Hyjal.
    "The power was unleashed after the Battle of Mount Hyjal and Nordrassil was devastated by this event. By Cataclysm Nordrassil has regrown, but Nozdormu's lost blessing never returned."

ye thats what i meant, they lost their immortality after the 3rd war and never regained it back
    Last edited by valky94; 2018-01-21 at 12:58 PM.

night elves cant protest tyrande because the fiction isnt written in a way that allows them to have any agency except as druids. having said that in battle for azeroth it seems like even druids dont get agency anymore.

its probably going to be best for all of us to just regard whatever terrible lore we get in bfa as a fever dream like warlords and see if the next expansion has lore in it again

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockybalboa View Post
    The development of Malfurion and Tyrande has been absolutely disappointing.. The latter has been pretty much redundant since the end of WC3.
    The both should be killed off for mercy and Shandris should be in their place.

It's hard to blame her for all those things, though I do hope the loss of Teldrassil finally kicks us night elves into gear as you're right we've just slowly been losing land for ages now.

Still hoping for my idea of planting a world tree smack dab in the middle of Tirisfal or at least being part of the offensive that retakes Gilneas proper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, under Tyrande's leadership the following has happened to the race

-Joined the Alliance, where they are governed by a human
    -They have lost or are currently losing an enormous amount of land (Ashenvale, Azhara, Stonetalon, Feralas, - to the horde and Felwood + Darkshore to external forces. In Siege of Orgrimmar Tyrande even says she agreed to give Azhara's lumber to the horde, while they were weak and without a leader.
    -Lost their immortality
    -In BfA - their capital is destroyed, along with countless civilians of their race
    -In Pandaria - they were unable to get their immortality back
    - In Legion, she failed to prevent Furion from getting captured and subsequently failed to save Ysera.

Now, I know many of those were not her fault and it's possible to assume that, had it been anyone else in here place, all those bad things would still have happened.
    But it does bother me that in BfA we get a Sylvanas storyline where there is a rebellion against her, even though she has been massively successful with almost every single goal she has set. When the Forsaken got half of the Eastern Kingdoms b/c of her leadership in Cata.

Am I missing something or is Tyrande just a really badly written character/night elf lore is getting shafted?
    before i say anything i do agree that Tyrande is written badly but thats where the agreement ends sorry.

1. Joined the alliance: In a world divided by 2 superpowers you cannot survive as a neutral person. You have to join someone, and joining the horde was out of question given how they started their history on azeroth, what with killing cenarius and invasions.
    2. The night elves providing lumber to the horde was part of the peace process and storyline. Otherwise people like velen would never have made it to the sunwell to cleanse it because hed have a swarm of blood elf royal guards yelling "guard assist me!" around him.
    3. Night elves losing their land is part of the story, its a 10 thousand year old civilization and with BFA something had to give to make this pointless faction war happen. Ironforge is too close to stormwind, Mulgore too close to ogrimmar. Silvermoon and Exodar protected by the all powerful loading screen. The only options left are Undercity and Teldrassil.
    4. Sylvannas has been a military success but sylvannas is not comparable to Tyrande, her arc is different. She from the start has been controversial, being undead and such and her practices. many (rightly so) did what she did to save her people, many (again rightly so) argue that she has commited genocide multiple times. e.g: without her the forsaken would not have gotten where they are now. but she has also had people forcibly resurrected or tested plague on living beings.
    5. Immortality is an unattainable goal for the night elves. They will aim for it due to the history but never get it, because it would cause an imbalance of racial power. As of right now, Velen is noted as the immortal prophet velen, and one can argue that sylvannas is too (pending valkyrs and being undead and all).

The reason why sylvannas has opposition is because some undead feel that they just want to die. She feels otherwise. This can be seen in the very first undead quests in silverpine. Also because sylvannas is a focus of the story, tyrande is not really.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    The Night Elves abandoned their legacy when they rejected the Arcane for no reason at all. Yes the Arcane used to be dangerous and drew the attention of the Burning Legion but then it was retconned. Almost every race on Azeroth has managed to master some source of power without suffering any drawbacks. Demon Hunters wield the Fel on par with demons without being corrupted. Now the Void Elves are using the FRIGGIN VOID itself, the most corrupting force in the universe, without giving in to madness. The Night Elves are sore losers and the only race that had to abandon its legacy because of... reasons? They are the elvish version of rednecks, living in wooden shacks in a forest. The Nightborne are the true successors of the Night Elf Empire of old and they have a glorious city. If I were a Night Elf I'd join the Nightborne.

The Night Elves became Redneck Elves under Tyrande's leadership. Maybe the burning of Teldrassil will make them wake up and stop being sheeple.
    The nightborne are cowards who hid for 10k years shooting up on heroine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    The Night Elves abandoned their legacy when they rejected the Arcane for no reason at all. Yes the Arcane used to be dangerous and drew the attention of the Burning Legion but then it was retconned. Almost every race on Azeroth has managed to master some source of power without suffering any drawbacks. Demon Hunters wield the Fel on par with demons without being corrupted. Now the Void Elves are using the FRIGGIN VOID itself, the most corrupting force in the universe, without giving in to madness. The Night Elves are sore losers and the only race that had to abandon its legacy because of... reasons? They are the elvish version of rednecks, living in wooden shacks in a forest. The Nightborne are the true successors of the Night Elf Empire of old and they have a glorious city. If I were a Night Elf I'd join the Nightborne.

The Night Elves became Redneck Elves under Tyrande's leadership. Maybe the burning of Teldrassil will make them wake up and stop being sheeple.
    its easy to say that, but when you literally see an army come from another dimension and blow the world up into pieces (well of eternity implosion) the image changes. Its like saying, if you drive 10 over the speed limit you are being slightly risky vs if you drive 100 over the speed limit and just being down right reckless. and thats what they associated with arcane magic. That is also pretty much the same line Archimonde said when he broke down dalaran.

"Let this scar signify the first blow against the mortal world... From this seal shall arise the doom of men... who, in their arrogance thought to wield our fire as their own... Blindly they built their kingdoms upon stolen knowledge and conceit... Now they shall be consumed by very flame they thought to control..."

he is not talking about fel, but arcane. Dalaran was not a fel magic school.

Again this is just story progression. The highborne realized that arcane is still necessary because they believe in a fight fire with fire approach. The night elves differed on that philosophy and turned to Druidism. You will notice that blood elves cant be druids (yet...hopefully never because blizzard will open another lore hole with that). Them living in teldrassil, healing nordrassil, and planting other world trees are from this philosophy. In the end it was not some arcane spell that called the wisps to destroy archimonde but Malfurion, a druid. When the world is crashing around you, and you notice that in the root cause one power saved and another doomed, youd know which one to side with next time.

And that is all it is a differing mindset, not a gimp by any means just a choice. One can argue all they want whether arcane is more powerful or nature magic and we will never get the answer to that because those are core powers of the universe.

As for joining the nightborne. No i humbly disagree. It makes total sense that they joined the horde and be horde, rather have alliance support them or join them. Because they relate to blood elves and are disagreed upon by both night elves and high elves. Just how the story goes.

Void elves are a dumb addition i agree. Just because you practice a different sort of magic doesnt make you a different race. But I am withholding my total judgement until we learn more, perhaps blizz can make it work.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by Elven Athena View Post
    No they aren't. They are *supposed* to be this way, but they neither act nor are portrayed in this manner and haven't been since MoP. The Alliance is increasingly homogeneous, increasingly pontificating about the light, and acts more like Stormwind vassals than the Alliance of nations.
    This is just the similarities, all of the Races of the Alliance(at least until Bfa with the Void elfs)had similarities, beliefs, morals and such.

The only thing really homogeneous and unified is the Si:7 and elite groups.Other then that, each city works independely but since they have...similarities...they do agree on doing many things together.

Thats one of the reasons Varian helped Ironforge in MoP, they help their allies and they offer more troops to the campaign agaisn't the Horde.
    What do you mean?
    When Moira first took control of Ironforge, she caused a lot of trouble(in a nutshell) but is a Dwarf political problem and they problem should resolve it without external help.But she kept the Human Prince(Anduin hostage)>Involving Stormwind in the mess.
    Fandral is actually the one who pissed off the Dragonflights, not Malfurion. Immortality isn't needed when you naturally live thousands of years anyway
    Shure...but it was Malfurion decision to end their mortality, OP is making it look like its Tyrande's fault.
    we don't know anything at the moment.
    Its said that the Siege of Undercity is a retaliation to the burning of Teldrassil.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    But it does bother me that in BfA we get a Sylvanas storyline where there is a rebellion against her, even though she has been massively successful with almost every single goal she has set.
    If every hint of disagreement is treated as MUH REBELLION by the playerbase than don't complain when Blizzard treats every race as a monolith.

The Desolate Council is not an attempt at rebellion, it's an instrument meant to govern the Undercity in Sylvanas' absence that also happens to have some of its members disagreeing with a few of her politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.