Page 41 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Why didn’t McCain vote? Why isn’t everyone blaming McCain? Because they needed 60....
    Many people are blaming McCain, however people who hate Trump like to blame him for everything, like what happened with Obama. "It's been raining for 10 straight days!!...thanks Obama!"

And no, they don't need 60, they just need 51.

Oh yeah, and "why didn't McCain vote?" you ask? 'Cause he's a RINO..that's an easy one.

If McCain votes, that's 51, and it passes. If McCain doesn't vote it's deadlocked, and Pence votes, and it passes. Thus, McCain won't vote.
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2018-01-21 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Many people are blaming McCain, however people who hate Trump like to blame him for everything, like what happened with Obama. "It's been raining for 10 straight days!!...thanks Obama!"

Where does it say they need 51, and not a majority?

No, I am clearly... despite your insults... pointing out that you that making that assertion, as true as it is, has no optics what so ever. It is so insane, that I though you were joking... there is no reason to say water is wet, unles you are... what? What would you call someone, who makes a stink over saying, water is wet?
    Why is it insane to claim that water is wet when a poster who I originally replied to said water isn't wet? You've been going on about basically nothing, complaining about "optics". Great work.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Nah the government rediverts some of the economy but it doesn't drive it. There wouldn't be a crash.
    you dont know a thing about economics, i may guess

the government (in almost every country) is a huge part of the economy.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

15+ Year Old Account

Oh yeah, and "why didn't McCain vote?" you ask? 'Cause he's a RINO..that's an easy one.
    I mean... Trump's own words on the 2013 shutdown:

“Well, if you say who gets fired it always has to be the top,” Trump said. “I mean, problems start from the top and they have to get solved from the top and the president’s the leader. And he’s got to get everybody in a room and he’s got to lead.”
    He said that further down in history, “when they talk about the government shutdown, they’re going to be talking about the president of the United States, who the president was at that time.”

“They’re not going to be talking about who was the head of the House, the head the Senate, who’s running things in Washington,” Trump said.

“So I really think the pressure is on the president,” he added.
    It's funny how Trump's "wisdom" doesn't somehow make its way into his own presidency.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Ted Cruz was filibustering when the Democrats had control over the Senate, that's when the ACA was passed. Ted Cruz was not filibustering the repeal, which the Republicans signed under a new version of Reconcilliation (the 2010 version), which is the one Obama vetoed.
    He filibustered the repeal, because it was being sent back to the house:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/why-ted...nate-1.1867499

Republicans in the House of Representatives passed a measure on Friday that would fund the government until November — except for anything related to Obama's health-care law — and it's now in the hands of the Senate. The Democrat-controlled Senate is expected to strip out the provisions related to the health-care law and send the continuing resolution measure back to the House, potentially on the eve of next week's deadline.
    He filibustered the repeal, being sent back to the house.

If they got 51 votes, they would pass it under Reconciliation, that's what they couldn't get votes for. There's no filibuster involved here. If they passed it under Reconciliation, the Dems can't filibuster it.
    You didn’t answer my question. If they needed 51, why didn’t McCain cast it? Why isn’t everyone talking to McCain?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Because it's not a tie. It's 50-49. McCain won't vote. I'm insisting they need 51 votes, because that's the rule. They can't pass it without 51 votes.
    If it's 50-49 they have the majority. There's no problem. I don't see the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Just like with the last shutdown, the private sector will keep moving the economy forward. Not a big deal.
    I have to agree. There might be a correction in the markets, but that would be a good thing to show that the gains have been real and will continue that way for this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Why is it insane to claim that water is wet when a poster who I originally replied to said water isn't wet? You've been going on about basically nothing, complaining about "optics". Great work.
    This is what your reply was and what you were replying to:

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Conservatives seem to have this impression that all of the civil rights advances we've made over the last 50 some odd years are just the result of white liberals just giving away privileges out of the kindness of their hearts, rather than something that minorities fought and died for, and in many cases are still dying for, with at best token and lukewarm support from the white community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Let's be honest though. Black people would never be freed in america if it weren't for white people freeing them.
    Dude... you have been going in about it, as much as I have. I think it’s fucked up that you said that... you are going on just as much, because you said water is wet...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    If it's 50-49 they have the majority. There's no problem. I don't see the issue.
    He is wrong, but digging in his heels. Who knew that McCain was to blame all along. Someone needs to call NY Times or Fox News! Wikileaks needs to hear about this!!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

This is what your reply was and what you were replying to:

Dude... you have been going in about it, as much as I have. I think it’s fucked up that you said that... you are going on just as much, because you said water is wet...
    If you think I said water, is wet, then you think he, said water, is... dry. Which is pretty ignorant. If you're offended by the history of racism maybe excuse yourself from the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    I have to agree. There might be a correction in the markets, but that would be a good thing to show that the gains have been real and will continue that way for this year.
    I'm inclined to disagree. This type of political instability could lead to yet another credit downgrade, like the one that happened in 2013 (which happened before the shutdown, so was not caused by it, it was because of the trouble getting the debt ceiling raised). That's not cheap. And again, the federal government is 1/5th of the us economy. It's not a small thing. There's nothing good about a government shutdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    you dont know a thing about economics, i may guess

the government (in almost every country) is a huge part of the economy.
    dont get to worried about them.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    dont get to worried about them.
    Oh genn, i'm sorry but i didnt understand you
    you said that i should not get worried about them? or that i should not get to worry about them :C
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

A majority of Americans, 56%, said approving a budget to avoid a government shutdown was more important for Congress to do than passing a bill to maintain the DACA program. Only one in three Americans, 34%, said they prioritized a DACA fix over avoiding a shutdown.

The preference for avoiding a shutdown holds across most demographic groups, even those that are traditionally Democratic-leaning. Among young people, it's 50% avoid a shutdown to 42% maintain DACA. Racial and ethnic minorities preferred avoiding a shutdown by 51% to 39%. Women favored keeping the government open by 10 points, 49% to 39%.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/20/politi...oll/index.html

LOL! RIP the "Blue Midterm" dream. Dems are throwing out their only chance at gaining seats back because they'd rather kick and scream over people who aren't even US citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Where does it say they need 51, and not a majority?
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-is-...in-the-senate/
    That has some good info and
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconc...ates_Congress)
    this is another.

When they say they need a simple majority it's of all Senators (100), not just the ones voting. That's where you see Senators torpedo legislation they don't want without having to say they voted against it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    [/B]

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/20/politi...oll/index.html

LOL! RIP the "Blue Midterm" dream. Dems are throwing out their only chance at gaining seats back because they'd rather kick and scream over people who aren't even US citizens.
    You left out the part where 50% blame the GOP.

Good try though.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    You left out the part where 50% blame the GOP.

Good try though.
    The fact that only 50% (with a majority of that being very liberal democrat) is only making my statement even stronger so why bother including that? Dems should be sweating at these numbers.

Dems don't need more braindead California liberals on their side. Where the hell do they expect to gain seats in already solid blue areas? They need more moderates and rust-belt voters. And they're sacrificing any possible support among those voters.

He is wrong, but digging in his heels. Who knew that McCain was to blame all along. Someone needs to call NY Times or Fox News! Wikileaks needs to hear about this!!
    It's not about digging my heels in, it's about the fact that they did vote. The vote was 50-49, which wasn't enough to pass anything, and now the Government is in "shutdown". this isn't wishful thinking or what have you. They actually voted. That was the result. And now here we are.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/20/here...-shutdown.html

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    The fact that only 50% (with a majority of that being very liberal democrat) is only making my statement even stronger so why bother including that? Dems should be sweating at these numbers.

Dems don't need more braindead California liberals on their side. Where the hell do they expect to gain seats in already solid blue areas? They need more moderates and rust-belt voters. And they're sacrificing any possible support among those voters.
    I'm not sure you know how numbers work...

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-is-...in-the-senate/
    That has some good info and
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconc...ates_Congress)
    this is another.

When they say they need a simple majority it's of all Senators (100), not just the ones voting. That's where you see Senators torpedo legislation they don't want without having to say they voted against it.
    And it means they simply need a majority... which would mean that they only need 50 out of 99. The "51" number is mentioned, because it is the typical majority in a 100-person vote (with the VP being the tiebreaker).

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    And it means they simply need a majority... which would mean that they only need 50 out of 99. The "51" number is mentioned, because it is the typical majority in a 100-person vote (with the VP being the tiebreaker).
    Dude...if that were true, the Government wouldn't be in shutdown. They got 50 votes. It's a simple majority of all Senators (100), not just the ones who showed up.