Would it be unethical to raise money for a good cause...?

So, I'm a 29 year old man with long hair. I can't say if *I* look good with long hair, but the hair itself looks damn good. I get complicated pretty often on it, but even so, I've thought about going back to short hair. I've always said, if I ever cut my hair, I would donate it to something like Locks of Love (though maybe not them specifically, because I've heard they're pretty shady).

Well, it dawned on me today: what if I used the opportunity to raise money for a good cause, like a charity that helps children with cancer?

I mean, sure, I'd probably have to go completely bald for people to give money, but hell, if I'm gonna go with short hair, I'd probably go super-short anyways, so it would only take a month or so to get to "short hair" length anyways.

But, like... is that unethical? To try to raise money for something I'm already thinking about doing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would it be unethical to raise money for cancer research?

Deleted
    Well it's up to you. But I suggest you think about what you really want to do - "helping" by donating money to some institution is the most distanced form of "help" you can offer. It should not feel satisfactory if you feel an urge "to help". Then again it actually helps to know who you're gonna help - some kids with cancer is really just random

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I've always said, if I ever cut my hair, I would donate it to something like Locks of Love (though maybe not them specifically, because I've heard they're pretty shady).
    They aren't shady, per se. They actually say on their website that they sell some of the hair they receive via donations.

That said, I have donated hair twice before, and if you ever do choose to donate your hair, this is a far more worthwhile organization: http://www.childrenwithhairloss.us/

Well, I suppose I'm not sure. This is something that literally just dawned on me like an hour or two ago, at work, so I haven't researched anything.

I just wondered if it would be shady to do something like that, when I'm already considering cutting (almost) all of my hair off, anyways?

In the case that I do, would anyone have a particuar suggestion for who I might raise the money for? I know St. Jude's did a lot for a little kid my sister used to babysit (who is thankfully okay now, even though he will have some lifelong damage), but I'm honestly pretty uninformed on the topic.

It's not even unethical to raise money for a bad cause. You can raise money for whatever you want. I'm consufed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's unethical. You're looking for ways to turn your plans into help for those less fortunate. Nothing unethical at all about that.

the options are raise money for a good cause doing something you were doing anyway or do it and the good cause doesn't get money. The first sounds better to me - as long as you aren't using it for self publicity beyond fundraising.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's some serious logic leap right there...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    So, I'm a 29 year old man with long hair. I can't say if *I* look good with long hair, but the hair itself looks damn good. I get complicated pretty often on it, but even so, I've thought about going back to short hair. I've always said, if I ever cut my hair, I would donate it to something like Locks of Love (though maybe not them specifically, because I've heard they're pretty shady).

Well, it dawned on me today: what if I used the opportunity to raise money for a good cause, like a charity that helps children with cancer?

I mean, sure, I'd probably have to go completely bald for people to give money, but hell, if I'm gonna go with short hair, I'd probably go super-short anyways, so it would only take a month or so to get to "short hair" length anyways.

But, like... is that unethical? To try to raise money for something I'm already thinking about doing?
    Reach out to streamers that do charity streams and offer ur haircut as a goal
    Many people do that

I don't see an issue with it. I imagine most donations they get aren't people specifically growing their hair out to donate, but donate once they're ready to cut their hair anyway.

Only way it'd be shady is if you were going to use the opportunity to exploit people for money to pocket. Otherwise go for it, it's money those organizations may not gotten.

Back when I had hair down to my ass, I thought about donating to Locks, but I found out how shady they were and then didn't give enough of a shit to find a good charity, so I just chopped it off.