Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

How would a communist handle this situation?

For this scenario, you live in a communist country. You work in a mine (a job you are suited to, and even LIKE) and make 5 ration point. Another citizen even after working in the mine (horribly sucking at it), developed his singing ability and started to sing in the public. You and other miners who also make the same 5 ration point enjoyed the show, and decided by your OWN free will to donate 1 ration point to the singer(you like his singing and it does not cost you much). There were 20 miners who did the same. Thus, the singer made 20 ration point by singing alone. This is more than all the miners made alone. Now, my question, how would you like the gov't to deal with the singer? on one hand, you gave up your ration point willingly and on the other hand, the singer has 4x the ration point other miners and you make. he thus has MORE resource than any of his peers. Is not wealth inequality, something that should not exist in communist society by principle? How would you like the gov't to deal with him? Take his ration points away, the ones that you and other miners freely donated because you enjoyed his singing?

Straight to the Gulag.

15+ Year Old Account
    Having "government issued points" in a communist system? **Looks at dollar bills in wallet**

So it's really just capitalism with a twist and a communist paint job.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

There will always be many deaths on the road to the mythical communist utopia. The singer and miners must all be sacrificed.

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Having "government issued points" in a communist system? **Looks at dollar bills in wallet**

point is what i used to simply since in a communist country you were given exact amount of ticket for bread, egg, or other goods and everyone received the same amount.

The community gathers around and executes the singer and has his accumulated points redistributed to the community. And now you understand why communism sucks as a model for development.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    "Ration points" lol
    ration points is something I used to simplify the concept. In communist countries, everyone was provided daily allowance of stuff (meat, food, cloth etc.). Point is used here to simplify it. Say, instead of ration point, you donated a piece of meat.

15+ Year Old Account
    "Ration points" lol
    I know right? In the ancap wet dream nearly everyone gets 0.01-0.10 ration points per day while a few thousand people in the entire country rake in 100,000,000,000 ration points per day just by having ration points invested in ration point making ventures, and the people making 0.03 ration points per day scream at the people making 0.01 ration points to pull themselves up by their bootstraps or they're lazy dirtbags who deserve to die.

2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I know right? In the ancap wet dream nearly everyone gets 0.01-0.10 ration points per day while a few thousand people in the entire country rake in 100,000,000,000 ration points per day just by having ration points invested in ration point making ventures, and the people making 0.03 ration points per day scream at the people making 0.01 ration points to pull themselves up by their bootstraps or they're lazy dirtbags who deserve to die.

please stick to this specific scenario. How would a communist handle it? Keep in mind, everyone willingly gave teh ration to the singer with no force involved, but giving off the ration created inequality. From "each according to their needs, to each according to their ability" happened.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I don't like ancaps either but where on earth did that come from?
    This is a pretty baity thread, so I'm just preemptively pointing that all systems have flaws. I don't think it's possible to count the number of deaths directly or indirectly caused by capitalism just through starvation and overworking, meanwhile this seems to be some morality thing about what communism does.

I suspect the solution would be that the miners would not be giving their ration points, nor would the singer accept them.

As a culture, there would be the expectation that everyone already earns enough to live, so the miners wouldn't feel the need to compensate the singer. The singer has what they need, so likewise would not take more than they need. People can show genuine appreciation without throwing money at everything.

Treating these ration points as tradable commodities is really asking the question of "what happens if everyone in a communistic society wanted to switch to capitalism".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    please stick to this specific scenario. How would a communist handle it? Keep in mind, everyone willingly gave teh ration to the singer with no force involved, but giving off the ration created inequality. From "each according to their needs, to each according to their ability" happened.
    If the government does nothing and lets people do with their rations as they please, then all of a sudden it turns into capitalism.

If the government kills or jails someone who offsets the balance of ration distribution, then it's not communism, it's just an authoritarian hell hole that people have put communism wrapping paper on.

The government would decide the miners only needed 4 ration points. The miners would get mad and lynch the singer and then get put to death. So then we have 10 miners, having to work twice as hard with fewer ration points!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulfate View Post
    I suspect the solution would be that the miners would not be giving their ration points, nor would the singer accept them.

As a culture, there would be the expectation that everyone already earns enough to live, so the miners wouldn't feel the need to compensate the singer. The singer has what they need, so likewise would not take more than they need. People can show genuine appreciation without throwing money at everything.

Treating these ration points as tradable commodities is really asking the question of "what happens if everyone in a communistic society wanted to switch to capitalism".
    Ding ding ding ding, we have a winner, this person gets it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    For this scenario, you live in a communist country. You work in a mine (a job you are suited to, and even LIKE) and make 5 ration point. Another citizen even after working in the mine (horribly sucking at it), developed his singing ability and started to sing in the public. You and other miners who also make the same 5 ration point enjoyed the show, and decided by your OWN free will to donate 1 ration point to the singer(you like his singing and it does not cost you much). There were 20 miners who did the same. Thus, the singer made 20 ration point by singing alone. This is more than all the miners made alone. Now, my question, how would you like the gov't to deal with the singer? on one hand, you gave up your ration point willingly and on the other hand, the singer has 4x the ration point other miners and you make. he thus has MORE resource than any of his peers. Is not wealth inequality, something that should not exist in communist society by principle? How would you like the gov't to deal with him? Take his ration points away, the ones that you and other miners freely donated because you enjoyed his singing?
    The singer is the victim of capitalism, the perpetrators are those corrupting him. That would be the miners

The punishment must then be the same as the cure

Returning the ration points to the corrupting influence trying to turn the system into capitalism so their vile practices fail

Good enough?

Things are easier to despise when they're simple.
    Unlike real life, which is neither so simple...or simpleminded.

If you want an answer in the context of the economic system itself, nothing would happen since the singer is being given money and not paid. Anything else that could happen would be decided by the culture that is using the economic system. That can mean various things and it would be easier if you give some cultural context behind the society you are creating that is using communism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your problem is you're trying to shoehorn in a capitalist currency-based transactional system without admitting that you're doing so.

In a purely Marxist communist setting, there wouldn't be a "ration points" system. You'd just go pick up the food you need. You wouldn't feel any need to "pay" your buddy for singing, you'd just enjoy his singing. There wouldn't be a currency system for exchange, and people would look at you like you'd grown a second head if you proposed they only do something in return for being given something yourself.

The federal reserve isn't part of the government.

Inb4 Illuminati.

Not really, just because you have a medium of exchange it doesn't mean its suddenly capitalist. But that is beside the point, the food has to be rationed in some way and changing the name from ration points to meat or something like that doesn't reduce OP's point.