Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    If the Gun was stored properly locked in a case with the keys only being accessible by the parents. Then yes this would not have happened. Or this would not have happened in Japan where there are almost no handguns.
    If the kid did take the gun from his parents then chances are high he probably didn't have to try very hard, at 15 years of age I would say chances are better than good that he either knew exactly where the key (or combination) for the safe where.

When I was 15 and lived in another country where guns are much more restricted, my dad had two shotguns and he taught me how to operate and how to get to them in an emergency. Different place, different times but concept probably remains, unless the parents knew their kid was disturbed and not be trusted chances are high at 15 he would know how to get to and operate those guns.

If the Gun was stored properly locked in a case with the keys only being accessible by the parents. Then yes this would not have happened. Or this would not have happened in Japan where there are almost no handguns.
    We have a huge epidemic of people overdosing on illegal drugs here, we need to make drugs illegal and ban them then no one would ever die from OD's again.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    We have a huge epidemic of people overdosing on illegal drugs here, we need to make drugs illegal and ban them then no one would ever die from OD's again.
    It's good to know you support the full legalization of drugs, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I do, and make them cheap, the problem will sort itself out.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It is true handguns overall contribute more to gun death's than rifles with bump stocks have. But it does not take much reasoning to figure out there is no need for them and in a shorter time period a shooter who is using one, can do much more damage than one can with just a handgun. There is no reason they should be legal. Even for self defense, you would not need one unless you are afraid of a zombie invasion. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, but you have no input into if the Second should be abolished or not. Unless you are a US citizen, but with your tone, I seriously do not think so. I mean maybe we should abolish freedom of religion based on the number of death's caused by a few religious radicals. :P

Once again, that is a false narrative. And you seriously think the Second Amendment has resulted in more deaths than WW2? lol! At this point, it is hard to take you seriously if you think the right to defend yourself in the US has resulted in 50 million deaths here.

- - - Updated - - -

So in essence, you just want to bash the US. I am sure we will be just fine here without you.
    No I am just pointing out that you cannot say that you are not in support of hand guns as a country like you said your country wanted this when congress is not chosen by the majority of the country, nor is your goverment, so who can be sure what the majority of people want when a minority is able to take power using corrupt means.

- - - Updated - - -

Also your not just fine, your country is a disaster, you have so much power to create wealth with your population but you squander it all on a bloated military budget and you leave your people to suffer in poverty, to live without healthcare and to be shot by god damn toddlers. Your country is not fine. It is a great injustice that it's not doing better considering the economic prosperity avaiable if it was only used better.
    Lok'tar Ogar! Death to the Alliance filth in the name of the Horde!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutarch78 View Post
    If we can’t restrict the access to illegal drugs on the street what is the virtue of restricting firearms to people? If somebody wants something they’ll get it. Its society that needs help, not laws that can’t be fully enforced.
    So you are in favor of legalizing heroin or did I read your argument wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    A little off topic, but I've been partial to the idea of legalizing all drugs, taxing the sales, and using some of the tax money to fund rehab facilities. Not sure how effective it would be but sounded good when I first heard it.

apples and oranges. but hey good try then. Please explain the Japanese gun murder rate then?

Quote Originally Posted by Greif9 View Post
    So you are in favor of legalizing heroin or did I read your argument wrong?
    Hell yeah!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro1990 View Post
    A little off topic, but I've been partial to the idea of legalizing all drugs, taxing the sales, and using some of the tax money to fund rehab facilities. Not sure how effective it would be but sounded good when I first heard it.
    I wouldn't even tax the sales, let people who want to do drugs get them cheaply, and let them ruin their own lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Casterbridge View Post
    If the kid did take the gun from his parents then chances are high he probably didn't have to try very hard, at 15 years of age I would say chances are better than good that he either knew exactly where the key (or combination) for the safe where.

When I was 15 and lived in another country where guns are much more restricted, my dad had two shotguns and he taught me how to operate and how to get to them in an emergency. Different place, different times but concept probably remains, unless the parents knew their kid was disturbed and not be trusted chances are high at 15 he would know how to get to and operate those guns.
    The issue is frame of mind, what is a reason that you needed to go get a gun in an emergency...... and the probability of the situation going in your favor if you did get the gun is ever worse. The criminal has already committed a crime as likely will have no issues using the handgun he has, because they are readily available in the States, compared to your large shotgun that you will still have the moral dilemma of shooting another human being. Yes my dad had 2 rifles and a shotgun while I was growing up, I knew where they were, I did not have access to the keys for the case or know where the ammunition was because......I had responsible parents that did not want a gun accident happening. I fully knew how to operate them as I was in rifle cadets and could hit a quarter grouping using a Browning .223 bolt action rifle with no issues. And have shot everything from a 9mm Glock to an MP5 to a .458 Magnum rifle and many things in between. I fully support the right to own a gun but it needs to be responsible and kept away from people who look to use them in the wrong way but at the same time it is undeniable who effective prohibition is in Japan at lowering the gun death rate. I also believe that an assault rifle style weapon should not be allowed anywhere but in the military/law enforcement special detachments.
    Last edited by Chaelexi; 2018-01-24 at 03:46 PM.

apples and oranges. but hey good try then. Please explain the Japanese gun murder rate then?
    Is Japan as big as the US?
    Is Japan on the boarder on Mexico?
    Does Japan have the same culture as US?

Talk about Apples and Oranges. Nice try though, I guess stupid people would buy your argument.

Is Japan as big as the US?
    Is Japan on the boarder on Mexico?
    Does Japan have the same culture as US?

Talk about Apples and Oranges. Nice try though, I guess stupid people would buy your argument.
    Is Japan as big as the US?As your ex-girlfriend told you "Size does not matter" as they have an even higher population density. Yes Japan does have a better education, healthcare and legal system
    Is Japan on the boarder on Mexico? Canada Borders the US and we do not have the same gun issues you do? And to use your argument Canada is BIGGER
    Does Japan have the same culture as US? Maybe it is time to adjust your culture......The Gun toting one is obviously not functioning properly.....Is it?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    I believe that removing the market for illicit drugs by legalizing them (all of them) would do more to stop gun violence then any gun control law put forth. I recognize that it could lead to other types of abuse, but part of what let me to leaving city life was me being an addict in my youth, i grew up with folks who used many different drugs, folks who i watched wither and turn frail on dope, fry their brains on ecstasy, had their teeth rot to ice and meth , who became fiends pawning all their shit just to get another tienth of coke. But i knew far more who used and were productive. Who balanced their drug life with the world they lived in. I knew dealers who were every bit the businessman but in name because their product of choice was illegal. Make the drug trade legal, and the crime around it will decrease. Co saw a dramatic decrease in the mexican cartel run grow ops out in the National Forests after legalization, but not after medical. You have to destroy the black market, let it be fully traded and yes, regulated.
    I agree - legalizing most/all drugs would dramatically eliminate a significant percentage of gun violence. Especially gang and border shootings.

I fully acknowledge that removal of guns(if you could do so) would indeed reduce their use in crime. But that is unrealistic. That approach is in essence a nuclear option that will only put folks who are pro gun ownership on full defense. Because our position is the defensive side of this battle, every time we accept more gun laws and regulation we are compromising. Every law put into place is an erosion of our position that folks have the right to own guns. We compromise and then a few years later we have to do so again, for the same reason, innocent folks died. The entire gun debate, which has been around longer then you or i have been alive, is the very essence of a slippery slope spanning over 100 years. And you are right in that as long as they are around folks will die or at least be put in greater risk of dying. However, in the same fashion that i think the legalisation of alcohol endangered folks, that the use of cars endangers folks, that legalizing drugs would endanger folks, that they could die, i too place gun ownership. To me the ablity to protect myself from harm be it a bear, a puma, or a human is worth it. That the right of another human to do the same is worth it.
    And I fully acknowledge that removal of all guns is completely unrealistic - definitely a nuclear option.

However, if we were to remove most guns, mimicking UK/Australia, put a ton of money into actually enforcing those laws, it would go a long ways towards preventing gun violence (along with the above drug legalization).

I would advocate that people keep personal guns - hunting, personal protection, and a few other categories.

Deleted
    Sorry, but you have no input into if the Second should be abolished or not. Unless you are a US citizen, but with your tone, I seriously do not think so. I mean maybe we should abolish freedom of religion based on the number of death's caused by a few religious radicals. :P

Once again, that is a false narrative. And you seriously think the Second Amendment has resulted in more deaths than WW2? lol! At this point, it is hard to take you seriously if you think the right to defend yourself in the US has resulted in 50 million deaths here.
    Let's start of by saying that I never claimed I thought that the Second amendment have had more people killed than WW2, I just said I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case. Seeing as the law has existed for more than a century, and WW2 only lasted 4 years. So the fact that you blatantly failed to understand a simple sentence means I am not going to treat you with decency so if you want to stop reading and live in continued ignorance feel free to stop reading here.

If you made it this far, you are in fact right, I do NOT have the right to decide whether it should be abolished or not. But I do have the right to express my opinion on the matter, and I firmly believe it is a stupid law that is protected by selfish individuals. You, as a person, is perfectly fine with sacrificing the lives of other people. Young people, I might add. In order to protect yourself from threatening people, most of which will threaten you by abusing the very same law you are trying to protect.

If you want to make the example that the Swiss has managed to maintain the law without a high death rate, maybe the simply reality that the Second amendment is fine, as long as it isn't in the US because your country clearly is too immature for it.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokresh View Post
    No I am just pointing out that you cannot say that you are not in support of hand guns as a country like you said your country wanted this when congress is not chosen by the majority of the country, nor is your goverment, so who can be sure what the majority of people want when a minority is able to take power using corrupt means.

- - - Updated - - -

Also your not just fine, your country is a disaster, you have so much power to create wealth with your population but you squander it all on a bloated military budget and you leave your people to suffer in poverty, to live without healthcare and to be shot by god damn toddlers. Your country is not fine. It is a great injustice that it's not doing better considering the economic prosperity avaiable if it was only used better.
    Nope. Our country is doing fine. Would not want to live any place else and with millions still wanting to come here, I would say a lot agree with that assessment. Perfect with no issues? Of course not. But our Constitution has stood the test of time pretty well. You are entitled to your opinion, but since you do not live here, it is pretty much useless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post
    Let's start of by saying that I never claimed I thought that the Second amendment have had more people killed than WW2, I just said I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case. Seeing as the law has existed for more than a century, and WW2 only lasted 4 years. So the fact that you blatantly failed to understand a simple sentence means I am not going to treat you with decency so if you want to stop reading and live in continued ignorance feel free to stop reading here.

If you made it this far, you are in fact right, I do NOT have the right to decide whether it should be abolished or not. But I do have the right to express my opinion on the matter, and I firmly believe it is a stupid law that is protected by selfish individuals. You, as a person, is perfectly fine with sacrificing the lives of other people. Young people, I might add. In order to protect yourself from threatening people, most of which will threaten you by abusing the very same law you are trying to protect.

If you want to make the example that the Swiss has managed to maintain the law without a high death rate, maybe the simply reality that the Second amendment is fine, as long as it isn't in the US because your country clearly is too immature for it.
    You have a right to your opinion. It just so happens when it comes to the US, it has no effect at all. In other words, a lot of us over here do not care what others outside our country think. The Second Amendment is not going to be amended is my opinion and since I would be a part of any amendment process, that carries more weight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I agree - legalizing most/all drugs would dramatically eliminate a significant percentage of gun violence. Especially gang and border shootings.

And I fully acknowledge that removal of all guns is completely unrealistic - definitely a nuclear option.

However, if we were to remove most guns, mimicking UK/Australia, put a ton of money into actually enforcing those laws, it would go a long ways towards preventing gun violence (along with the above drug legalization).

I would advocate that people keep personal guns - hunting, personal protection, and a few other categories.
    Which is still not a realistic solution. Thankfully the Constitution negates what even the majority wants. Even the nuclear option is not going to happen, unless you are thinking a Civil war and the Constitution being completely rewritten. :P

Gun control? No? Thoughts and prayers? Yes? Changing nothing, waiting for the next event? Yes? Ok, moving on.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is Japan as big as the US?As your ex-girlfriend told you "Size does not matter" as they have an even higher population density. Yes Japan does have a better education, healthcare and legal system
    Is Japan on the boarder on Mexico? Canada Borders the US and we do not have the same gun issues you do? And to use your argument Canada is BIGGER
    Does Japan have the same culture as US? Maybe it is time to adjust your culture......The Gun toting one is obviously not functioning properly.....Is it?
    Which most of it is tundra and ice. The US has a higher population in some single states then there. Japan has their own unique issues. And it is up to the Japanese people to solve them. Same as it is up to us here in the states to solve our issues. Gun toting is functioning well for the vast majority here. There are more dying from other preventable causes here than gun violence. Far more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post

- - - Updated - - -

It’s entirely possible to regulate guns much more strictly without a constitutional change.
    I never said it was not possible. But what they did in Australia and other countries is basically impossible here. I am for more reasonable gun control laws if you have been reading this thread more, you would know. Such as universal back ground checks and making Bumpstocks illegal.

Deleted
    At this point it's not even a surprise, even for people outside of the US.. And it's sad that young people dying only surface as statistics, because even when the USA had a more sensible president, this "2nd amendment" debate was pointless.

Stupid people shooting stupid people. Murrica. Fuck yeah guns! -.-

7+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Our country is doing fine. Would not want to live any place else and with millions still wanting to come here, I would say a lot agree with that assessment. Perfect with no issues? Of course not. But our Constitution has stood the test of time pretty well. You are entitled to your opinion, but since you do not live here, it is pretty much useless.

- - - Updated - - -

You have a right to your opinion. It just so happens when it comes to the US, it has no effect at all. In other words, a lot of us over here do not care what others outside our country think. The Second Amendment is not going to be amended is my opinion and since I would be a part of any amendment process, that carries more weight.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is still not a realistic solution. Thankfully the Constitution negates what even the majority wants. Even the nuclear option is not going to happen, unless you are thinking a Civil war and the Constitution being completely rewritten. :P
    Your nieve to think your opinion matters much more just because you live there, one tiny little vote is like sand in a desert, public opinion as a whole controls the country not a tiny grain of sand your influence over your country is almost none existent as is ours not being there. Public opinion can(doesn't always mean it will) be influenced by wider society i/e the rest of the world.
    Lok'tar Ogar! Death to the Alliance filth in the name of the Horde!