Thread: Brand new rig

Post Brand new rig

Hello and thanks for taking the time to help a stranger on and off in this community.

My current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XtjWTH

My current monitor is some random $300 27 inch curved samsung monitor I picked up from Costco.
    Some $20 logitech speakers that I don't know the model of. Das keyboard + steelseries mouse that I plan on keeping.

I'm looking for helpful suggestions as to what parts you can help recommend for a brand new build.
    I want to upgrade because I just feel like my build is not optimal anymore and I tend to lag (Overwatch), also feel like my GPU isn't being used more efficiently. The games I play are fairly casual (LoL, Overwatch, FFXIV) but I prefer to build more than a above average build.

The direction I want to go for is a premium, quality performing build, and not going for a budget friendly build. Premium parts and performance is my direction I'd like to go.

Notes:

The monitor I preferably want would be something close to what everyone would want in a monitor within a 1k price range. I just can't seem to push myself to choose an option when I browse through Amazon. 4k, high refresh hz etc etc.

Desktop speakers that I wouldn't need those giant subwoofer stuff with, just simple but good quality speakers.

I don't care about how my case looks, or how big it is, as long as it goes well with the parts I'm good. Side view of my build through tempered glass like my current fractal case would be a bonus.

i7 CPU please.

I plan on keeping my msi gaming 1070 but I'm open to suggestions.

And lastly, some quality cooling in my build, no water cooling, just old fashioned fans.

I appreciate the help everyone!

Well you could go for something like this, it's not cheap but should play anything you throw at it, don't mind the GPU it's just a placeholder

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($379.00 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($87.95 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($211.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($204.99 @ Best Buy)
    Storage: Intel - 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Crucial - MX500 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($259.79 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card
    Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($164.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Asus - PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($741.56 @ Amazon)
    Speakers: Klipsch - ProMedia 2.1 120W 2.1ch Speakers ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $2424.22
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-23 20:21 EST-0500

@Denpepe
    Thanks! Most of the parts were similar to the ones I wanted to go for after some research, the case was also a nice touch, I didn't know they had a R6 now haha. I remember back in the days Samsung 850's were the popular choices for SSDs, I'm guessing its not anymore? Also if I plan on running dual monitors, would it be better to get 2 GPU's? I'm actually not very well researched in this area, and would the PSU suggested by Den or even the 750W PSU that I have now be sufficient to dual monitor it in the future? I've always wanted to dual monitor setup but never really got to it.

Would love more input on builds also

Samsung SSD's are also fine, the intel one is actually an NVMe, similar to an Samsung 960 evo, but a bit slower and also cheaper, still faster then a regular SSD, 2nd one is regular SSD for storage, they are brand new model and crucial is together with Samsung one of the go to brands for SSD's, the new crucials are also on the cheaper side, ofc, you can also put in a regular HDD if you don't mind it beeing slower. Also there are new Samsung 860 EVO's out now, but 850's are still good ofc.

1 GPU is enough for 2 screens, multiple graphics cards come with a lot of issues, support is also fading so it's recommended to buy the best single card you can afford, since you already have a GTX 1070 that should be good enough for now. PSU has no bearing on the amount of screens you intend to use as those plug into wall sockets.

Ofc you can keep your old PSU if it's not ancient, seasonic ones are some of the best around.

Ah, so this Intel stick is a SSD? Wow, tech really changes if you don't keep up. That's pretty crazy how 1TB SSD is that price also. Back then it was so much more expensive..

Looks like I'll go ahead and finalize those in there. Also, parts of my computer have died and the PSU were one of the parts I had to replace...I honestly don't remember the last time I replaced it, but if I had to say, it was probably a year or 2 ago. Thank you very much Denpepe

Anyone else have another suggestion to place?

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Well you could go for something like this, it's not cheap but should play anything you throw at it, don't mind the GPU it's just a placeholder

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($379.00 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($87.95 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($211.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($204.99 @ Best Buy)
    Storage: Intel - 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Crucial - MX500 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($259.79 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card
    Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($164.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Asus - PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($741.56 @ Amazon)
    Speakers: Klipsch - ProMedia 2.1 120W 2.1ch Speakers ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $2424.22
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-23 20:21 EST-0500
    I like but for the extra cash, just go 1080

I think I'm going to start ordering parts and have it all together before assembly within the next 2-3 weeks. After researching a bit more here and there, I think I'll be following Denpepe's build part by part, excluding the M.2 SSD. Would it be better to get another SSD and pair it with the MX500? And also, with the Fractal R6 case, would it be better to change the stock fans to different ones? I wouldn't mind shelling out more for more/better fans. Also thinking I should just spend the $7-8 for thermal paste as well. Thank you to Illuman, but I am content with my 1070 for now. If anyone can throw out some last minute suggestions and answers to the questions I asked above, I would really appreciate it, please! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by deskport View Post
    I think I'm going to start ordering parts and have it all together before assembly within the next 2-3 weeks. After researching a bit more here and there, I think I'll be following Denpepe's build part by part, excluding the M.2 SSD. Would it be better to get another SSD and pair it with the MX500? And also, with the Fractal R6 case, would it be better to change the stock fans to different ones? I wouldn't mind shelling out more for more/better fans. Also thinking I should just spend the $7-8 for thermal paste as well. Thank you to Illuman, but I am content with my 1070 for now. If anyone can throw out some last minute suggestions and answers to the questions I asked above, I would really appreciate it, please! Thank you!
    Where are you planning to get your Graphics card that its not going to cost you an arm and a leg? The market is SHIT for a buyer at the moment. I just sold 2 of our 1080's for about $950 each and one of our 1080 TI's for about 1150 on ebay. I never had ANY intention on selling these cards until i saw the priceing. Card prices wont be back in check until the new Nvidia line starts launching in March. Nvidia and most of the other manufactures are working to do a 1 card per person limit so the prices stay near MSRP. Ill replace these 3 cards and end up pocketing about $700 in profit. I am half tempted to yank the 1080 Ti out of this rig and sell it and throw one of my old 980s back in here. /rant over

My point I was getting at is that if you can wait a bit some much nicer cards at better prices should be releasing here soon.

EDIT

I missed where you said you already had a 1070

CASE

Did you look at the Fractal Designs Meshify C? I have built in about 4 of them now and its a great case. Video link below of a build a did at Christmas that shows a good bit of the case inside and out.

Last edited by Moozart; 2018-02-04 at 03:00 AM.

Yeah, I actually have! It looks nice but for some reason, the R6 looks great to me..also biased over the fact that my current is an R4 and I haven't had any problems. Thank you for having me double check though haha

If you're lucky, you can find the Samsung M450 Sound bar open box at most best buys for around $90, that works well as a pc gaming speaker setup too.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuman View Post
    If you're lucky, you can find the Samsung M450 Sound bar open box at most best buys for around $90, that works well as a pc gaming speaker setup too.
    Dude that was what I was thinking, but I cannot due to thin walls in a apartment complex.. neighbors do it all the time but I won’t ._

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, i was also thinking if any vesa mounts work for two monitors asus pg27, or any good suggestions to pick up. I have the hallstaad kitchen countertop + alexa drawer on the right adil legs on the left. Also would a HDMI cable be good enough for the monitors? Or should I pick up a Dport or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by deskport View Post
    Dude that was what I was thinking, but I cannot due to thin walls in a apartment complex.. neighbors do it all the time but I won’t ._

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, i was also thinking if any vesa mounts work for two monitors asus pg27, or any good suggestions to pick up. I have the hallstaad kitchen countertop + alexa drawer on the right adil legs on the left. Also would a HDMI cable be good enough for the monitors? Or should I pick up a Dport or whatever.
    Not sure about the second part of your question and late to the party but..if you mean 2 monitors and 1 HDMI cable then no, your GPU supports 1 HDMI 3 DP 1 DVI so a display port cable you go!

But even if you also mean you are buying that monitor, then display port 100% or DVI-D, but i would go for display port ;p

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Not sure about the second part of your question and late to the party but..if you mean 2 monitors and 1 HDMI cable then no, your GPU supports 1 HDMI 3 DP 1 DVI so a display port cable you go!

But even if you also mean you are buying that monitor, then display port 100% or DVI-D, but i would go for display port ;p

Cool, can i grab any display port cable then on amazon? And I'm guessing i'll need another one for my second monitor in the future? Haha thank you!

The vesa mount question was when I get my second monitor, does anyone have a product they could recommend or could I also just grab that through amazon?