Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by myzriel View Post
    You do realize that Survival was a melee spec in vanilla. They added one new shot kept some shared shots that were baseline and labeled it as a new ranged spec. If they want to go and make surv a ranged spec then BM needs to be melee like Rexxar. The point is hunters were initially designed with a melee viable spec.
    Can u find us a single video showing the 'melee hunters' from vanilla era ? even at vanilla days no hunter was playing melee in any serious situation, survival was known for strong traps and elemental damage (from TBC+ at least), while we were all noobs during vanilla era, still no hunter was ever melee even back then, u can check the guide book btw, they were with the cds of game, no melee hunter

While he was alt to me (never mained hunter), I still liked survival the most of all specs, a ranged spec where i feel u actually have lot of utility instead of just dmg or 90% of dmg is ur auto-attack pet
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    You people can't just screech "REXXAR" and act like that 100% justifies mutilating the Hunter class to shoehorn in a fully melee spec
    Rexxar is one of very few ranged tanks in hots, and he was only one for really long time, not to mention he is the fucking icon of hunter class in hearthstone, so pls don't stick rexxar to 'melee', he isn't a melee hunter (prior to legion at least)
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by myzriel View Post
    You do realize that Survival was a melee spec in vanilla. They added one new shot kept some shared shots that were baseline and labeled it as a new ranged spec. If they want to go and make surv a ranged spec then BM needs to be melee like Rexxar. The point is hunters were initially designed with a melee viable spec.
    It was intended as a melee spec back in the beta version of Vanilla but it never made it to release.

Deleted
    Played hunter for the better part of 8 years. Survival was one of my favourite specs in the entire game. It had everything I liked- dotting, procs, ranged, mobile. Hell yes I'm salty they removed it from the game.

Why is hating survival because it's melee not justified in some people's minds? You can simply not like playing melee and be annoyed that after YEARS you now have two specs to choose from instead of three. Then there's the fact that in high end raiding I feel like I would be gimping my group by going survival. Ranged is just better considering they have the exact same toolkit. So unless it's doing something crazy like, say, arcane mages in HFC, I would never play it. And I never have in legion. My survival artifact was 750 until the very end.

Then there's the fact that blizzard keeps adding more melee specs, with DK before and DH and Survival added in legion. Noone wants more melee.

And yes, I'm one of the people who laugh at people playing survival. Not because it's melee. Not because I don't like it. Because it's just flat out worse, the same way I laughed at BM hunters for the better part of legion. It's not malicious laughing though. It's just banter most of the time. You'd think hunters would be used to people laughing at them by now

small edit: add the fact that marksman plays like dogshit since 7.0 and possibly even worse now, and BM is just annoying to raid with, and there you have the hate for removing a really cool ranged spec..
    Last edited by mmoc4a4105b06a; 2018-07-25 at 11:04 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanderez View Post
    I play a hunter because I wanted too be a ranged somewhat physical DPS. If I wanted to play a melee spec I'd select one of the many other classes with melee specs. Also we already have a 2h pet spec for DK's, so I don't really see a need for another.

Besides I actually liked survival back when it was ranged. I don't see why they needed to change it. I especially loved it when our ES did AoE damage. Was one hell of a time in dungeons on CC'ed targets
    Im sorry that you no longer identify with the hunter class then, all the hunter specs represent one of the archetypes of the hunter class, the long range marksman or sniper, the hander or master of beasts and the lone ranger defined as a wanderer or a rover. These i think are pretty well represent ingame and survival even has a semi ranged element built into it with every baseline spell being usable from ranged except for raptor strike which becomes ranged while under the effect of aspect of the eagle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiarra View Post
    I hate it because I enjoyed the various old SS, Exp Shot, Black Arrow + Traps Survival specs. If melee had been added as a 4th spec I would have zero issues with it. Not that we actually needed yet another melee spec in the game (offering Rogues a ranged spec would have been far more productive)

When I play my Hunter, it's because I want to play a RANGED WEAPON BASED PET CLASS, and only one Hunter spec met that criteria during Legion. If you don't like ranged, I'm not sure why you'd be playing a Hunter, I mean we had UH DK if you desperately wanted a melee pet spec...

I'm sure you'd see equal amounts of bitching if they made Arcane Mages a pure melee spec for no reason.
    This pretty much nails it for me.
    The new SV is better than the Legion iteration, however it's way worse than the old SV ranged spec. Additionally it just lacks an own unique identity. It just feels like an hybrid from the other specs without their unique features.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    Can u find us a single video showing the 'melee hunters' from vanilla era ? even at vanilla days no hunter was playing melee in any serious situation, survival was known for strong traps and elemental damage (from TBC+ at least), while we were all noobs during vanilla era, still no hunter was ever melee even back then, u can check the guide book btw, they were with the cds of game, no melee hunter

While he was alt to me (never mained hunter), I still liked survival the most of all specs, a ranged spec where i feel u actually have lot of utility instead of just dmg or 90% of dmg is ur auto-attack pet
    - - - Updated - - -

Rexxar is one of very few ranged tanks in hots, and he was only one for really long time, not to mention he is the fucking icon of hunter class in hearthstone, so pls don't stick rexxar to 'melee', he isn't a melee hunter (prior to legion at least)
    pretty sure he was a melee unit back in WCIII

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    You do realise that's full-of-shit revisionism. Even though vanilla SV buffed your melee abilities it did not make you a viable melee DPS; you were absolutely still intended to use the ranged abilities that came with the class. The idea was that you weren't as useless in melee as the other two specs but you still preferred to play at ranged. Blizzard quickly realised that's a garbage idea for the spec so they improved the tree and made it ranged+utility focused.

We don't need a god-damned melee spec. You people can't just screech "REXXAR" and act like that 100% justifies mutilating the Hunter class to shoehorn in a fully melee spec when next to no Hunter wants it. If you want to play melee, go lose yourself in one of the 12 other melee specs in the game. Dredging up failed early Vanilla ideas and going a step further by taking away the ranged weapon is god-awful design.
    Why cant we though? its not full melee first of all, like it wasnt full range in past. I had this rage when i logged after years and thought hunter is abomination and i still didnt like the legion iteration of the specs too much, but i think they did good with SV now, did you try? (Honest question). It has hybrid vibe and everything can be done on the move..

EDIT : I dont even want to be rexxar with 2 axes, i like polearms/spears/2h axes. Fits the class fantasy more for me and i still have fond memories rocking spear from ulduman on my back , with quiver and bow in hand. This is not the case anymore, but its near.
    Last edited by LiPiNo; 2018-07-25 at 11:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    pretty sure he was a melee unit back in WCIII
    yeah and thrall wasn't world shaman and jaina wasn't warmonger and orcs were peaceful race that was tricked by drinking blood and night elves were savage warriors not highschool cheerleaders, if not obvious blizz sh8t on every aspect of wc3
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Deleted
    Survival now is a playable Rexxar i'm thrilled!

Players stuck in old ways will always be sad and down. Move forward x

BfA Survival is supercool. Going in and out with AotE gives you lots of mobility and choices. That mini X-bow you use when shooting Serpent Sting is cute :P

Really enjoying it as it is now

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    well, imagine if they took something you've loved playing for about a decade, and then shit all over it, and expected you to be grateful.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    I mean I get it if you just miss the old sv hunter spec and wish it would be reverted but I don't really get the hate for them as a melee class. Fantasy wise I think its a cool spec. I like fighting side by side with my pet. Could its rotation use a little refinement? Yes but at the same time as someone who plays most of the melee classes in the game I think its one of the better and funner specs to play. Damage wise I also think its gets overhated. I currently do as much or more damage on my hunter as I do on my arms warrior and close to what my sub rogue does despite having a lower ilvl than those toons have by a decent margin. So while I get that it just might not be everyone's cup of tea I think its overhated to some degree by the loud minority. Its currently my fave spec to play alongside my sub rogue for dps purposes. I really hope Bliz doesn't do anything drastic with the spec and just adds a little refinement to its skillset. Long live the new SV hunter!
    I mean I hate Blood DK since they took it away as my DPS spec. So this kinda falls in the same spot. I want WOLTK DK back in the worst way. I rolled Blood DPS and Blood Tank and sometimes dabbled in Unholy Tank. But now destroying my favorite spec for my favorite class just made my DK unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    well, imagine if they took something you've loved playing for about a decade, and then shit all over it, and expected you to be grateful.
    I dont need to imagine it, i experienced this when i installed legion. BUT it made me try other classes and i did have fun and enjoyed 2 other classes i would never said so before.

10+ Year Old Account
    I absolutely love the new SV, I think 2 ranges and 1 melee really fits the class fantasy so well. They really made the spec much smoother then it was before. The mobility is fun and barbing everywhere. Granted I'm only at level 106 but those 6 levels have been great and topping in dungeons.

I wish they did something to mages(battle mages) and rogues(dark ranger).

I'm happy I've convinced a number of people not to try the game (good chance you'll find something you like\love in the game and the next expansion they will totally destroy it just so they can justify their jobs, instead of improving on or adding to what's there) , am I bitter, dam right, they took away something I enjoyed for 8-9 year for another dumb ass melee spec. (even remember their BS that would try and roll some of the play style into MM instead from what I hear they just fucked it up too, personally I never liked MM)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    The new SV hunter is really nice actually.
    I agree, also the old survival talents/specc felt great with all the buttons to press.

Quote Originally Posted by Diaconus View Post
    Yeah, I will argue that 2 melee skills doesnt make melee spec ;p
    Survival has one melee skill these days. So, not a melee then?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Diaconus View Post
    Yeah, I will argue that 2 melee skills doesnt make melee spec ;p
    I would argue that a specc that requiers you to stand in melee to dps most of the time makes the specc a melee specc.
    You also wield a melee weapon, not a ranged. ^
    Last edited by mmoc2fd9bb957f; 2018-07-26 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prntscrn View Post
    I would argue that a specc that requiers you to stand in the meleee, hitting the boss makes a specc melee.
    Also you wield a melee weapon, not a ranged. ^
    So? You can wield a ranged weapon too, the only difference is Raptor Strike (correction: I forgot about Carve) and a different auto attack.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    So? You can wield a ranged weapon too, the only difference is Raptor Strike (correction: I forgot about Carve) and a different auto attack.
    So? you still need to be in melee for optimal dps. I believe groups will not accept a survival hunter only using KC, Wildfire Bomb, and SS to dps. Since a lot of the damage comes from Raptor Strike.
    I get what you mean, but my 50 cents is that survival is a melee specc. :P