Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    Personally I vote for a fourth spec. I think there was enough added to SV and enough brought back, that was originally cut from SV... that you could have easily justified a 4th spec. Giving players something new and different is never a bad thing, taking something away to make room for the "new and different" is poor execution.
    Would be pretty selfish of hunters to demand a fourth spec when Demon Hunters only have two. I get your point about the ranged survival spec already being done so it would be easy to implement, but it would still be another spec requiring balancing in the future which takes time. This was also why Blizzard for example scrapped the warrior gladiator spec. I don't think Blizzard will give one class four dps specs. Would be cool though, but maybe a bit unfair. Just a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    Would be pretty selfish of hunters to demand a fourth spec when Demon Hunters only have two. I get your point about the ranged survival spec already being done so it would be easy to implement, but it would still be another spec requiring balancing in the future which takes time. This was also why Blizzard for example scrapped the warrior gladiator spec. I don't think Blizzard will give one class four dps specs. Would be cool though, but maybe a bit unfair. Just a point.
    unfair was the dipshits (ya a bit bitter) taking away the range SV spec in the first place, that would just be fixing their fuck up.

4th spec isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushsbuddy View Post
    This opinion is a meme.
    1000 total Mythic parses for SV Hunters in Antorus, now THATS a meme.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess the alternative is to just NOT fuck with things in such a significant way. Personally I kind of like the idea of Demon Hunters getting the current SV melee spec, adding a fel flare, and using scythes/polearms (which we have seen via our champion tables).

Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    unfair was the dipshits (ya a bit bitter) taking away the range SV spec in the first place, that would just be fixing their fuck up.
    People did ask for a hunter melee spec though. In my opinion the current ranged specs just suck. MM is wierd and petless, and BM is just plain boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just genuinely miss my old dot spec.
    Played survival since WotLK beta.

People did ask for a hunter melee spec though. In my opinion the current ranged specs just suck. MM is wierd and petless, and BM is just plain boring.
    Only having 2 ranged specs is a fairly strong cause of all the ranged specs sucking.

Quote Originally Posted by ydraw View Post
    Only having 2 ranged specs is a fairly strong cause of all the ranged specs sucking.
    It is? ............ (I made the dots because the comment should at least be 10 letters long)

I think I can count on one hand the number of requests I've seen for it before legion. (and I hung out in these forums an the official forums a LOT).

It is? ............ (I made the dots because the comment should at least be 10 letters long)
    Of course. When we had 3 ranged specs there was a 50% lower chance they'd all suck.

Of course. When we had 3 ranged specs there was a 50% lower chance they'd all suck.
    but.. but... Priest, Shaman and Druid all only have 1 ranged spec and those specs are pretty fun to play.. I think.

It doesn't really matter if it's bad or not. What matters is that nobody plays it. The spec is less popular than AIDS. It should be deleted and ranged survival brought back.
    Won't happen with all the effort they are putting into now on Alpha, I will be making survival hunter one of my mains in BfA.

but.. but... Priest, Shaman and Druid all only have 1 ranged spec and those specs are pretty fun to play.. I think.
    They aren't though really. Of all 3 specs only Spriest is any fun this expansion. Players of those classes just have to suck it up because they know that's the tradeoff of rolling a hybrid. When you choose a pure DPS class, part of the reason for doing that is having 3 specs to choose from. Taking 1 of the 3 specs away made the hunter class much worse.

What matters is that nobody plays it.
    Lots of people play it. People here on this forum--in this thread!--play it. It's fun. It's got some issues but honestly all 3 specs do. I'm hearing good things about its state on the alpha so I'm looking forward to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambulatory Cube View Post
    Lots of people play it.
    Define "lots"?

It's the least played spec in the game's history.

Quote Originally Posted by Yhcti View Post
    Is anyone playing sv at a high level here?

Im 923 and am mostly playing MM - with no tier set and crappy legendaries, its not THAT impressive so far. My plan is to main Survival in BfA as it looks real nice, simple and enjoyable.

Is there any point me swapping from MM to SV? Im finding my dps is similar but I think i can maintain higher dps as SV sustain wise anywho.
    I wouldn't claim it as a high level but I do enjoy the spec. I'm an LFR-hero but do consistent heavy damage with it and think it has superb AoE damage.

http://www.wowdb.com/talent-calculator#GVWP

This is the spec I suggest using.

All the tier sets try to convince you to use Lacerate.

Don't, it's a terrible spell that doesn't do enough damage for the focus cost.

If you have the Soul of the Huntmaster it's really nice because then Butchery will also apply Serpent Sting.

Anyway, here's how I play and for the record I play a mastery/haste build since I enjoy procs.

First thing is to remove Lacerate and Raptor Strike from your bars. You won't need them.

Harpoon in.

Hit Butchery.

Hit Mongoose bite.

Hit Flanking strike.

Hit Mongoose Bite.

Hit Mongoose Bite.

Hit Butchery.

Hit Flanking Strike.

Hit Mongoose Bite.

Sorry, but it's kind of a rough approximation. Survival - when going Haste/Mastery at least - is all about trying to keep up your mongoose bite stacks as often as possible. So it's really a priority system based on number of bite charges you have, whether flanking strike is on cooldown, if butchery is on cooldown and how much focus you have.

When you're just using mongoose bite you'll build focus back up, don't worry too much about capping it.

If you've run out of focus so can't flanking strike or use butchery and you're trying to build up to 2 charges of mongoose bite that's when you throw out your caltrops and use sticky bomb.

When fighting a boss you should hold off on using aspect of the eagle if you can. I try to wait until I have three to four bite stacks then will use aspect and hope for lots of resets from flanking strike.

I hope that helps, it's rather hard to explain but it's a good spec and with butchery you do some monumentally good AoE burst that's on an extremely short CD. Basically at 930iLevel I can do over a million damage to every enemy around me three times. It really helps clean up adds and the like.

Define "lots"?

It's the least played spec in the game's history.
    A lot more than "nobody." Just because there's not a ton of raid parses doesn't mean its not played. That just means the other two specs are performing better right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebyrd View Post
    The hate for sv comes from taking the most popular spec in the game
    hold on... you're not even talking about the right class here.

Hell BM is likely still the most popular hunter specc of all time due to how easy mode farming ANYTHING with an OP pet has usually been.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    hold on... you're not even talking about the right class here.

Hell BM is likely still the most popular hunter specc of all time due to how easy mode farming ANYTHING with an OP pet has usually been.
    Perhaps all throughout the history of the game, but SV was at it's most popular in the 3 expansions before it was removed. Cata, Mop and WoD it was at least one of if not the singular most popular hunter spec. At least until it was nerfed into oblivion in 6.2.