Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

US to stop NASA funding for ISS in 2025.

The Trump administration is preparing to end support for the International Space Station program by 2025, according to a draft budget proposal reviewed by The Verge. Without the ISS, American astronauts could be grounded on Earth for years with no destination in space until NASA develops new vehicles for its deep space travel plans.

The International Space Station has been an ongoing program for more than two decades. It costs NASA between $3 to $4 billion each year, and represents a more than $87 billion investment from the US government. It’s become a major hub for conducting both government and commercial experiments in microgravity, as well as testing out how the human body responds to weightlessness.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/24/1...t-request-2025

The ISS is at the end of it's planned life cycle in any case. I wonder if the next station will be completely commercial.

Not surprising that this administration doesn't want anything to do with science.

But what if the next one wants to keep supporting ISS? 2025 is well beyond Trump's time in the office.
    Last edited by Lahis; 2018-01-25 at 01:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He thinks he's still gonna be president by 2025?

We'll have to see if the Trump administration is even still in charge in 2020, let alone 2025.

Maybe he thinks ISS has somethg to do with ISIS.

I guess it is a good thing then that the US is not the only country involved. There is a reason it is called the International Space Station.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Not surprisign that this administration doesn't want anythign to do with science.
    Cue that clip of Stewie responding to the girl who said "You are the weakest link. Goodbye." How clever and original you are!

OT: Who the hell cares? You yourself mention that the ISS will be at the end of its life cycle then. Why don't you let the government do its job without pretending to be an armchair expert about everything?

Deleted
    Before everyone starts the Trump hating (I am too late already...), the ISS is at the end of it's expected lifespan in 2025.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawstruck View Post
    Cue that clip of Stewie responding to the girl who said "You are the weakest link. Goodbye." How clever and original you are!

OT: Who the hell cares? You yourself mention that the ISS will be at the end of its life cycle then. Why don't you let the government do its job without pretending to be an armchair expert about everything?
    The ISS has no true life cycle. It was originally designed to only last until 2015. Basically as long as its orbit is periodically boosted to offset the normal orbital decay, it can last forever.

Y r ppl so angry about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Before everyone starts the Trump hating (I am too late already...), the ISS is at the end of it's expected lifespan in 2025.
    It has no "expected lifespan". See above.

Deleted
    Since the future of Space Exploration is imo going to be commercial, it will be interesting to see who will make the first big push.

SpaceX? Google? Another business?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    Isn’t Trump also advocating we allocate resources for a mars mission? The ISS is aging. Maybe discuss why it’s not getting funding past 2025 rather than assuming it’s “anti science”.
    Gotta pay for the tax breaks for the rich and corporations somehow.

He should end all NASA funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Not surprising that this administration doesn't want anything to do with science.

But what if the next one wants to keep supporting ISS? 2025 is well beyond Trump's time in the office.
    Isn't that how many of the spending bills work? They are for a 10 year window (or something like that) and when they set things to close or expire they often do them in 5-10 year windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Maybe he thinks ISS has somethg to do with ISIS.
    That why republican are against net neutrality because most Tier 1 transport are using IS-IS instead of OSPF.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    Are you paying your fair share?
    I retired at age 42. I paid my share already.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I can think of about 4 different NASA missions that have surpassed their expected lifespans and continued working well on after their expected lifespan investment was met.

Trump ending funding is blatant in saying he has no interest in further scientific applications of the ISS (even though we barely even know why our astronauts come back dying/with horrible heart conditions and need years of research and study to even consider deeper space travel). It's just plain sad, a bit pathetic how anti-science this administration (And its party) really is.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

isn't the ISS already past its expected life span? Perhaps we should be investing in a new one vs forcing this one to try and stay up there? and seriously Trump wants a return to the moon and beyond so its not that he hates NASA / space

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/11/...s-donald-trump
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Ya'll just jelly. Next time bring something better than a sick old lady with a colostomy bag and a rapist for husband. Trumps be like "BRING ME ANOTHER!"
    Isn't it nice to have a female first lady? Michael could crush walnuts with those hands.
    Trump is clean. They have tried everything for 12 months and can't find a thing. Oh, he said something about pussies to another guy once. As a matter of fact, I believe I have said the same kind of stuff at some point in my life. He's so relatable like that. The military loves him. He's surrounded by loyal Marines. The left in disarray, eating themselves like the Ouroboros. African Americans getting work, increasing wealth and breaking free from the Democratic plantation. Such an industrious people. Another few years of this and they might be able to find their way to a DMV to get ID to vote. The Democrats don't think they can. Sad. Trudy's just sad his dad died the other year. Poor Fidel. Very sad.

About the only question hanging is which Republican to succeed Trump after his 2nd term. Because as good as he is, the Right recognises the importance of term limits. Maybe James Woods? Wonder who the Democrats will put up. Bradley Manning with Chelsea Clinton as running mate. First transgendered president and the first horse as VP?