Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Dystopia is something I'm glad I won't live to see...

Death is ultimately irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by TayFarr View Post
    Humans all die one day depressing as It Is but It can't be stopped.
    It sucks to be living in this time instead of the star trek era.

It's terribly disappointing. My girlfriend and I broke it off because of it; she doesn't want to be forgotten like the billions of others so her life goal is to further her career (quantum mechanics professor) to discover something that will engrain her in history. . She just wasn't willing to compromise any part of that for a relationship we realized. It's sad, I feel like she's spending her entire life in fear of the future and will never live for the present.

I think the only time my mortality depresses me is when I realize I don't have kids and at this point if I did have any I'm not sure how much of their lives I would actually be around for. People in my family don't tend to live very long due to varying cancers. I have basically zero chance of living to become a grandfather unless we make some major medical advances in the nearish future.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The scientific minded don't feel sad.

If you're sad it's a sign of religious thought.
    I think the opposite is actually true.

The scientific minded are the ones who are contemplating God/the great beyond as their time on this earth comes to a close. Religious people look at death entirely differently than the scientific community does.

To answer the OP: No, it doesn't make me sad to know I won't be alive in the far future. Heck, I could die on my way home from work today. We ought to live our lives in such a way that we're ready for death when it comes. We should spend our time doing things that are truly meaningful, like having and spending time with family and loved ones. We should help those around us and be good people. I'd argue that, if you lived that way, even if there was nothing after death, you'd still have lived a happy and full life.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    We will probably not die of natural causes anymore if we live another ~30 more years.

You cease to exist in any form you might think of.
    Listen to these atheist left-wing guy. He knows the secrets of the universe.

Just like most people said, I'm sad I wont see the tech in the future. Who knows though, I may miss out on the zombie apocalypse too and that also sounds fun for the first 10 minutes till I get ripped apart.

You were born in blood and tears, and that's how you'll die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really something anyone can do anything about.

Plus, you may lament not living in the age of immortality and space travel for everyone (if it ever comes), but looking at the past instead you should feel glad you don't have to live through the 30 or 100 Years War or during one of the many plague outbreaks all over Europe.
    You have clean water, cold as well as hot, available whenever you want. You'll most likely never have to experience hunger and famine and you can be anywhere on Earth in less than a day.
    The time we live in is completely awesome compared to everything that came before, even if it's by no means perfect.

I've recently been reading this book and gained a new appreciation for how good we have it. Even if the High Middle Ages weren't as bad as Hollywood and modern prose would have us believe, I wouldn't want to go there for more than a week or two.
    And if there was any way to render humanitarian aid to the past, I'd be donating right now.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Practical immortality is around the corner. Stay healthy!

I dunno I think we'll be able to transfer our consciousness into a robot by the time I die. But the fact that I'll be one of the first generations of this and the robots will get way better and cooler in the future is sad, because then my consciousness will be like iPad 1.0 and nobody wants one of those anymore. Then what happens? Do they deactivate me? Do they put me in some robot slave labor camp? I can't handle the stress man I think maybe I'd rather die.

Quote Originally Posted by Ham on Rye View Post
    To me it's more depressing to realize that I deserve to have lived in the far future when I would hope people would have gotten over all the petty stuff that they use to divide each other, rather than now when you get an idiot like Trump and his racist dipshit supporters running things.
    Yeah... this comment fell flat since it lacked support from any truth....

Stay on topic buddy

I'm reminded of Don Fagen's "I.G.Y. (What a Beautiful World)"
    Needless to say, any predictions that the future is going to be all-so-rosy and beautiful seem predicated on naivety.

No. Death is just a passageway to the next step.

For me not at all, apart from trying to live a happy and fulfilled life I enjoy a certain promise made to us. Death is a very tragic thing since just about a week ago I lost my grandfather but we do believe that we will see him young again.

10+ Year Old Account
    born to late to explore the planet. born to early to explore the stars.. i dont mind being in between tough..

It's sad to think about death, that's why i think it's better if we don't spend too much time doing that...
    Dying must be pretty bad too...our medicine is still too primitive, i still hold some hope that by the time i am very old it will have improved a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham on Rye View Post
    I would hope people would have gotten over all the petty stuff that they use to divide each other, rather than now when you get an idiot like Trump and his racist dipshit supporters running things.
    that isnt something new that started with Trump...

you would be saying the same thing in the future about our alien overlords

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mac View Post
    that isnt something new that started with Trump...

you would be saying the same thing in the future about our alien overlords
    thought trump would have got rid of all the illegal aliens by then