Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

No new races can be DK?

Hey all - MMO has recently been doing an in-depth view into the new races since 7.3.5 was released and items can be datamined. That being said, I'm not seeing anything about any of these new races being DKs. Is that simply because currently all races can be a DK, or will they be restricted? Do we know for sure?

All player DKs were raised in Wotlk, story wise they "can't" be DKs since they werent there at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nhodjin View Post
    All player DKs were raised in Wotlk, story wise they "can't" be DKs since they werent there at the time.
    Dark Iron Dwarves and Zanadalari Trolls are the only 2 races that make sense

"The Drakkari have recently gone mad after they sacrificed their Loa animal gods in an attempt to fight off the Scourge. The Argent Dawn has returned to play a role in Zul'Drak as have members of the Zandalar tribe, who have come to try and save some of the Drakkari history before it is wiped out."

That is the Drakkari trolls from Wrath, so the Zandalari went there to help them fend off the scourge.

Drak theron Keep questline where the Zandalari and Drakkari trolls are turned into death knights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOoyaSdG6i4

"your betrayal of the Drakkari empire has born me a new army, your army" - Lich King

Zanadalari trolls and Dark Iron Dwarves should both have a DK class option and it would still be 100% in sink with the games current timeline."

I like the male Zandalari model and would play it if I could, but the others have very little noticeable difference from currently playable races.

Oh yeah.. I remember all the Void Elves and Light Draeneis back during Cataclysm running around... :-) Blizzard is dropping Void Elves, Lightforged Draeneis etc. into the Cataclysm timeline. The WotLK story thing is just a bullshit explanation from Blizzard because they don't want to give DKs to the new races for whatever reasons.

cry more
    try playing paladin and see the shit we have to play with as horde members

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddok21 View Post
    Dark Iron Dwarves and Zanadalari Trolls are the only 2 races that make sense

"The Drakkari have recently gone mad after they sacrificed their Loa animal gods in an attempt to fight off the Scourge. The Argent Dawn has returned to play a role in Zul'Drak as have members of the Zandalar tribe, who have come to try and save some of the Drakkari history before it is wiped out."

That is the Drakkari trolls from Wrath, so the Zandalari went there to help them fend off the scourge.

Drak theron Keep questline where the Zandalari and Drakkari trolls are turned into death knights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOoyaSdG6i4

"your betrayal of the Drakkari empire has born me a new army, your army" - Lich King

Zanadalari trolls and Dark Iron Dwarves should both have a DK class option and it would still be 100% in sink with the games current timeline."
    Wish I could up vote this. Someone please post this in official forum. Knowing Blizz they probably forgot Zandalari were in Zul'darak.

I'd guess they let this happen as soon as they allow Gnome Paladins, since it seems like its their agenda to be racist against us gnomes :'(.

This is debunked within the game's own lore... in Legion DKs could raise others to be DKs, demonstrated in their class hall campaign. There is a Pandaren DK as well.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2018-01-29 at 11:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz said they were considering allowing Zandalari and Dark Iron death knights, which would be cool.

The main reason they shy away from new races being DK or DH is due to the starting experience.

1) Starting way further in the leveling process
    2) Unique storylines

Both of these things are tied together. If they found a way to have DH and DK level smoothly from lower levels (say 20, which is the level the allied races start) they could definitely make an existing story for them. The whole issue is abilities are unlocked so late in the leveling process for both those classes that changing what level they start at would be awkward and lead to a whole slew of coding bugs. They'd almost have to have two sets of classes pretending to be the same class, one class that starts at 20 and one that starts at the regular DH/DK levels.

As far as storyline goes,

DKs - Ebon Blade was raising defeated heroes on the Broken Isles and the Broken Shore. This included Nightborne, Highmountain, etc. Void Elven DKs could just as easily be power hungry blood elf death knights looking to get into even more dubious magics, thus transitioning to void.

DHs - Probably limited to Velf and Nightborne. DH can transition from belf to velf, and Nightborne's storyline of the legion invading Suramar and ruining everything is basically exactly what the Belf and Nelf DH went through. After Suramar was freed from the demons, some Nightborne joined the Illidari.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a Tauren in the DK Order Hall named "Trag Highmountain", so I don't see a reason why DKs can't be Highmountain Tauren in the lore. Seems like a shame that Blizzard would limit us so heavily on the new races.
    B.Net: Tehr#1477 | Discord: Tehr#5246 | Stream | Guild Website | List of characters
    Raid CD Tracker (#1 on wago.io): Tehr's RaidCDs, ExternalCDs, UtilityCDs, ImmunityCDs, AoECCs, RezCDs, & Interrupts

Quote Originally Posted by Tehr View Post
    There's a Tauren in the DK Order Hall named "Trag Highmountain", so I don't see a reason why DKs can't be Highmountain Tauren in the lore. Seems like a shame that Blizzard would limit us so heavily on the new races.
    That doesnt make him a Highmountain Tauren (though he may be, id have to go look). Highmountain and the Eagle Spear are legends even aming the Mulgore tribes. He could easily be a Mulgore Tauren that has had that Surname for a long time.

The primary reason none of the new races (so far, i can see Dark Iron and possibly Zandalari DKs) can be a Deathknight is the starting experience. All PC DKs were raised as part of the Ebon Blade during Lich King. While yes, the Ebon Blade are shown to be able to recruit new Knights (though it isnt certain if they are newly raised or if the recruiter NPC is rounding up stray DKs from Northrend that are now roaming free since Arthas’ fall...could be either, or both.)

The Four Horsemen are a special case, as the Deathlord is directly channeling Bolvar’s power as Lich King to raise them.

Even if the Ebon Blade CAN raise new DKs on their own, the new races wont be PC DKs because they would have to completely re-do the starting experience for DKs to make sense, since all PC DKs (the Deathlord) participated in the Battle of Lights Hope and were betrayed by Arthas.

So yes, the Ebon Blade and/or Bolvar could raise the new races as DKs, they would be strictly limited to NPC status because of the starting experience.

I think they just dont want DK's to start leveling up at 55, as starting level of new races 20, thats it. But making unlocking conditions (for example lvl up new race to 55-100-110 or whatever) would make sence for unlocking some of new races for DK. I dont think that the storyline is so important, havnt seen it, but I doubt that there is something more than 10 quests and some video about where you are coming from... Formal shit. And ye, we can rase new DK's starting from Legion expantion, so I hope one day we will be able to play any of the new races

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    This is debunked within the game's own lore... in Legion DKs could raise others to be DKs, demonstrated in their class hall campaign. There is a Pandaren DK as well.
    You didn't understand me it seems, the PLAYER DK aka the character you play, the one you start as lvl 55 and do the questing as, is the story of all player DKs. For there to be new DKs added they would need to make a new questing experience. It has nothing to do with their ability to raise new ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    That doesnt make him a Highmountain Tauren (though he may be, id have to go look). Highmountain and the Eagle Spear are legends even aming the Mulgore tribes. He could easily be a Mulgore Tauren that has had that Surname for a long time.

The primary reason none of the new races (so far, i can see Dark Iron and possibly Zandalari DKs) can be a Deathknight is the starting experience. All PC DKs were raised as part of the Ebon Blade during Lich King. While yes, the Ebon Blade are shown to be able to recruit new Knights (though it isnt certain if they are newly raised or if the recruiter NPC is rounding up stray DKs from Northrend that are now roaming free since Arthas’ fall...could be either, or both.)

The Four Horsemen are a special case, as the Deathlord is directly channeling Bolvar’s power as Lich King to raise them.

Even if the Ebon Blade CAN raise new DKs on their own, the new races wont be PC DKs because they would have to completely re-do the starting experience for DKs to make sense, since all PC DKs (the Deathlord) participated in the Battle of Lights Hope and were betrayed by Arthas.

So yes, the Ebon Blade and/or Bolvar could raise the new races as DKs, they would be strictly limited to NPC status because of the starting experience.
    Thanks for explaining it a lot better than i did!

10+ Year Old Account
    When the Lich King raised races as Death Knights, Lightforged were stuck in Argus for well over a thousand years so there's no chance they were even present. Void Elves are a recent introduction timeline-wise as Alleria was not present during the Lich King's tyranny, so she would have not been around to train Void Elves. Dark Iron Dwarves I can imagine will be the only race that makes sense. Zandalari is a bit of a stretch but they COULD make it work. Highmountain Tauren would be difficult outside of the weak argument "They sailed to Azeroth" yet there is no record of them even being seen in Azeroth so there's that but it's not the first time Blizzard has pulled retcons, so.

Also the argument of "Deathlord could raise them" is a bit silly given that it was already questionable that he/she raised 4 champions, add 100s of particular new races into the mix and it's no different to the Lich King raising armies of the dead unwillingly. It's LK 2.0 at that point.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2018-01-30 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    When the Lich King raised races as Death Knights, Lightforged were stuck in Argus for well over a thousand years so there's no chance they were even present. Void Elves are a recent introduction timeline-wise as Alleria was not present during the Lich King's tyranny, so she would have not been around to train Void Elves. Dark Iron Dwarves I can imagine will be the only race that makes sense. Zandalari is a bit of a stretch but they COULD make it work. Highmountain Tauren would be difficult outside of the weak argument "They sailed to Azeroth" yet there is no record of them even being seen in Azeroth so there's that but it's not the first time Blizzard has pulled retcons, so.

Also the argument of "Deathlord could raise them" is a bit silly given that it was already questionable that he/she raised 4 champions, add 100s of particular new races into the mix and it's no different to the Lich King raising armies of the dead unwillingly. It's LK 2.0 at that point.
    It isnt unwilling, though. All four of the Four Horsemen had a choice. Even Darion. It was most clear with Whitemane (because Nazgrim and Thoras were ... almost enthusiastic to be back in the saddle again), but Whitemane was clearly offered a choice. Theres no evidence that the Ebon Blade are raising people against their will. Or, more precisely, if you choose not to join, they put you down again, like the Forsaken did/do (not sure if its something they still do).

Dark Irons and Zandalari existed at the time of Arthas, they would have fallen warriors on the mainland for Arthas to raise.

Highmountain and Nightborne corpses are also possible (War of the Ancients, leaving the barrier) but this is less common.

Void Elves and Lightforged are recent. They could have Void Elves start out as a different elves for the starting zone - the Caverns of Time effect.
    Void Elves would probably teach Death Knights formally if they could be taught in the modern day.
    And while one's beliefs and religion in terms of Lightforged wouldn't make it impossible for them to learn and teach Death Knight skills, it wouldn't be as common.

Deleted
    Mmmmm I don`t really get it..A void elf is an elf who turns to the void...Says nothing about the class, but the race..It`s a race change (subrace, no matter what the Blizz daydreaming midwanking) So to say void elf can`t be this and that class is bit silly (purely from race/class perspective...) ofc restrictions can be like undeads can`t connect to void (but then how UD shadow priests does exists?)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cateran View Post
    Mmmmm I don`t really get it..A void elf is an elf who turns to the void...Says nothing about the class, but the race..It`s a race change (subrace, no matter what the Blizz daydreaming midwanking) So to say void elf can`t be this and that class is bit silly (purely from race/class perspective...) ofc restrictions can be like undeads can`t connect to void (but then how UD shadow priests does exists?)
    Because of that we need a new (or alternate) Starting zone for races that dont fit in the Wotlk one. It should be possible for voidelves and others to become DKs, its just they dont fit in the current Starting zone lore-wise. Would be a nice question for the Q&A today if they planning something on this, because "technically they could be DKs, but you cant have them because of obsolete Starting zone experience" is a kinda lame reason and excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Niovi View Post
    Because of that we need a new (or alternate) Starting zone for races that dont fit in the Wotlk one. It should be possible for voidelves and others to become DKs, its just they dont fit in the current Starting zone lore-wise. Would be a nice question for the Q&A today if they planning something on this, because "technically they could be DKs, but you cant have them because of obsolete Starting zone experience" is a kinda lame reason and excuse.
    This^^.

There's no problem with raising new DKs since we did it in legion. Doesn't even have to be unwillingly because lorewise we could offer them a choice. However, a new starting zone for those races is required.

Keep in mind that with the red dragon flight massacre we might as well raise dargonkin as an "allied" race, although same as with our class mount - not much choice there.