Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The Tinker Class
    The Medic Tinker
    i think it would be cool for the healer to instead be in some sort of small vehicle that increases speed so that they can maneuver the battlefield dropping tech along the way. throwing down a field medic kit almost like a light well, or even placing a shield barrier that last x amount of time or x amount of damage, using a turret to toss heal buffs onto the boss sort of like a judgment but for everyone hitting the target -- being able to shoot heal spells similar to ana.

I have thought a lot about a 3 role class (mine is technomancer which is close to a tinker but with some differences) and I am trying to think of ways to make the class feel almost like a druid in terms of class RANGE, honestly a druid feels like 4 completely different characters, where as some classes have 2 or even 3 similar play styles with small variations. So upsetting the playstyle of a couple roles while sticking close to the current formula is what i have in mind. say a tank who sets barriers that have magical taunt qualities, or a the zippy landmine healer. i dunno, arbys is pretty cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    It makes sense, but things that make sense aren't always the option to go for.

Blood (High) Elves on the Alliance would have made sense too, but it would have continued to skew the faction populations because of the lack of a pretty race on the Horde side. While a Tinker is appealing, being Goblin and Gnome exclusive can have the adverse effect of simply making the class unpopular and rarely played. Honestly, that's the last thing I'd want to see out of a Tinker, considering the concept has a lot of potential for other races.
    I think an argument can be made that Goblins and Gnomes are unpopular because the available classes don't gel well with their unique racial style. I can attest to the fact that every Goblin and Gnome character I created instantly clashed with the class I chose for it.

For example: I choose a Goblin warrior with a broad sword, and I immediately hop into a car and drive on a highway to pick up my "homies".

I think an argument can be made that Goblins and Gnomes are unpopular because the available classes don't gel well with their unique racial style. I can attest to the fact that every Goblin and Gnome character I created instantly clashed with the class I chose for it.

For example: I choose a Goblin warrior with a broad sword, and I immediately hop into a car and drive on a highway to pick up my "homies".
    Anecdotally, I don't really know anyone who hates gnomes/goblins on the basis that there wasn't enough attention to them. They're a class that people seem to gravitate one way or another too, similarly to Pandarens. If anything, they're unpopular because people generally don't like them.

The Hunter update with mecha pets barely phased the Gnome and Goblin population.
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anecdotally, I don't really know anyone who hates gnomes/goblins on the basis that there wasn't enough attention to them. They're a class that people seem to gravitate one way or another too, similarly to Pandarens. If anything, they're unpopular because people generally don't like them.

The Hunter update with mecha pets barely phased the Gnome and Goblin population.
    Well mainly because when people think Hunters, they imagine this;

Not a Goblin or Gnome.

It doesn't help that Gnomes get a robotic bunny as a pet, and Goblins get a terrible looking crab (though the raptors on Echo Isles aren't bad).

Also the mecha pets themselves were a let down. They were nothing more than reskins of existing pets and did nothing different than existing pets, and the mini-quests you needed to go on to get them was stupid and unnecessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zulazibah View Post
    i think it would be cool for the healer to instead be in some sort of small vehicle that increases speed so that they can maneuver the battlefield dropping tech along the way. throwing down a field medic kit almost like a light well, or even placing a shield barrier that last x amount of time or x amount of damage, using a turret to toss heal buffs onto the boss sort of like a judgment but for everyone hitting the target -- being able to shoot heal spells similar to ana.

I have thought a lot about a 3 role class (mine is technomancer which is close to a tinker but with some differences) and I am trying to think of ways to make the class feel almost like a druid in terms of class RANGE, honestly a druid feels like 4 completely different characters, where as some classes have 2 or even 3 similar play styles with small variations. So upsetting the playstyle of a couple roles while sticking close to the current formula is what i have in mind. say a tank who sets barriers that have magical taunt qualities, or a the zippy landmine healer. i dunno, arbys is pretty cool.
    Well the Medic Tinker inside the mech has the Rocket Boost ability, so they can move around the battlefield inside a vehicle.

The tech they drop is Pocket Factory and Turrets. Both of which will assist in healing. Additionally, I'm considered a talent where additional scrap will drop that only the other players can see, and they can run across it in order to heal.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing your concept.

Actually I like the profession just fine. I want a class that uses the technology theme that obviously in the game, but cannot be recreated because of the limitations of
    the profession. I find it bizarre that you seem unable to tell the difference between a class and a profession in WoW.

Here, maybe this will help:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/profession/
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/game/classes
    It doesn't matter, not every theme needs to be adapted as a class,Engineering and Tinker was adapted as a profession.

The mechs were turned into mounts, the robots pets, and the rest were turned into minor buffs and other itens.

And the profession is arguably better, because its doesn't force you to roll another class/race to use it.

Also, you keep asking whats a Necromancer would do that i Dk can't but that didn't stop you from creating a class concept of ideas that all 12 classes proved to be able to do over and over.
    Yeah, because the Tinker concept hasn't been explored by any class. The Necromancer concept currently exists almost completely in DKs, and partially in Mages and Warlocks. Blizzard themselves said that they incorporated the Necromancer into the DK class. For some reason, that's a fact you guys just can't accept.
    Again, you don't know the difference between using the whole concept and an idea.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

It doesn't help that Gnomes get a robotic bunny as a pet, and Goblins get a terrible looking crab (though the raptors on Echo Isles aren't bad).

Also the mecha pets themselves were a let down. They were nothing more than reskins of existing pets and did nothing different than existing pets, and the mini-quests you needed to go on to get them was stupid and unnecessary.
    I dunno, the iron scorpion, ironwolves and mecha spiders are pretty cool and they were pretty much added just for Gnome/Goblin Hunters to tame. Even with exclusive content they haven't really gotten any more popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, the iron scorpion, ironwolves and mecha spiders are pretty cool and they were pretty much added just for Gnome/Goblin Hunters to tame. Even with exclusive content they haven't really gotten any more popular.
    Yeah, but they're kind of hard to get, and everyone can get them, so its a wash.

Give Goblins and Gnomes an exclusive mech class? I think that can their numbers to rise rapidly.

Yeah, but they're kind of hard to get, and everyone can get them, so its a wash.

Give Goblins and Gnomes an exclusive mech class? I think that can their numbers to rise rapidly.
    Well that's a given since a new class is the new feature for that expansion. The question is how much, considering a new mech class isn't what's holding them back from being accepted as a likeable race.

Especially if such mechs make them look way cooler. I think a huge turn off for players is the fact that goblins and gnomes are these little dudes and you can barely see any of the cool armor and weapons you get for them.

Now if you could be in a massive, badass mech suit... yeah I would even play a goblin or gnome. (And I'm not particularly a fan of those).

I do, however, see them possibly allowing for an Orc and Dwarf Tinker - it fits - but would take away from Gnomes/Goblins a bit.

You packed so much stuff into them and it either means they are going to be op or everything will feel weak as shit.

If I had to have tinkers I would prefer if only one or two spec had a mech, then you could have a turret ranged spec if you really wanted turrets.

I feel if they ever do a mech class it will be like druids where the mech is a "form" and weapons will work the same as weapons for druids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darktbs View Post
    It doesn't matter, not every theme needs to be adapted as a class,Engineering and Tinker was adapted as a profession.
    See, this is where I simply can't take you seriously. So the Tinker was turned into the profession, despite zero of the Tinker abilities ever appearing in the profession, yet somehow the DK isn't a necromancer despite the majority of Necromancer abilities appearing in the DK class?

Hypocrisy much?

Also, you keep asking whats a Necromancer would do that i Dk can't but that didn't stop you from creating a class concept of ideas that all 12 classes proved to be able to do over and over.
    The other 12 classes can pilot a mech during a raid or dungeon?

Please explain.

- - - Updated - - -

Well that's a given since a new class is the new feature for that expansion. The question is how much, considering a new mech class isn't what's holding them back from being accepted as a likeable race.
    I don't think it's the mech in of itself, but a class that matches the nature of the Goblin and Gnome race.

Again, when Mekkatorque showed up in that Broken Shore cinematic, people thought he looked cool. People never think Gnomes look cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    Looks like a cool concept. The only thing I'd want out of it would be for the class to be playable beyond Goblins and Gnomes. Surely there are no lore restrictions that would block this?
    Goblins, gnomes, dwarfs, blood elves

Or make the class the most underrepresented in the history of Warcraft, making it exclusive to two of the least liked races in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

The other 12 classes can pilot a mech during a raid or dungeon?

Please explain.
    "Pilot a mech" is nothing but window dressing. A "coat of paint". Mechanic-wise, it's not really different from any of the druid's forms.

Mechanic-wise, nothing your class idea does can't be replicated by other classes. In other words, there's nothing really unique, there. Even the theme is already taken by the engineering profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    Goblins, gnomes, dwarfs, blood elves
    Draenei too. If they built spaceships they can build robots.

Probably the first sign that this is a terrible idea is that it isnt implemented in game. Tinkerer is probably the worst idea for a class and this long version doesn't make it even more likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Now, part of the reason I avoided adding more races to this is because I felt that Gnomes and Goblins deserve a little shine. They're by far the most neglected races in the game. Additionally, those races in WoW have by far the most references to mechs of any other race in the game. Both their faction leaders have their own personal mecha. Every prominent Goblin has a shredder. There's mechs throughout Tinkertown and Gnomeregan, and so forth, so those races (IMO) should be the ones who have their own mech class.
    Personally, find this 100% agreeable. There's also no reason why any future Goblin- or Gnome-based Allied Races wouldn't be able to utilize this class, which technically expands their racial options to four (as DH should've, w/ Nightborne and Void Elves). If they then want to later expand the options, more power to them, but following DH it seems quite nice to have a class whose core membership all come from the same racial/cultural kernel.

Additionally, I avoided adding the claw packs from HotS and WC3 because I don't think they really fit WoW. They've never been shown in-game, and after a great deal of thought, they'd look pretty silly on a player in WoW. It works for MOBAs because of the view, but that probably wouldn't translate well to a MMO format.

Anyway, thanks for the critiques and keep them coming.
    Initially, I thought that the gameplay of a Tinker would probably follow a pattern such as this:

Pilot Mode (Generating Secondary Rersouce w/ Abilities) > Mechanized Mode (Spending Secondary Resource w/ Empowered Abilities) > Repeat

As I sat in Discord discussing it with a couple guild members, though, we ultimately came to agree that they could attain an equal level of distinction between both the two races (Goblin/Gnome) and the numerous specializations by designing around the use of claw packs, while also allowing the actual player's transmogrification to be visible. They lose very little of their thematic charm this way, but gain a lot (specifically, you won't see people complaining about not seeing their gear). After ~45 minutes of conversation, here's what I came up with.

Note: The artistic inspiration for this conception relies on two different thematic approaches, simultaneously.

The mechanical (and to an extent, functional) aspects of the class are inspired by Gazlowe from HotS, who's known for utilizing a high-powered "claw pack" (see. Exhibit A and Exhibit B, below); while the visual (and to an extent, functional) direction draws various from both Tinkers and Alchemists (see. Exhibit C and Exhibit D).

Exhibit A: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20131208202034
    Exhibit B: https://img00.deviantart.net/b1ff/i/...on-d89nlkp.jpg
    Exhibit C: https://t00.deviantart.net/nc3AynLU2...ch-dbvqwfj.png
    Exhibit D: https://t00.deviantart.net/z8PYc1Rks...ch-dbvqw64.png

"mDPS" | A specialization that relies on pummeling their foes with their mechanical fists, until they've gathered enough energy to empower those haymakers with a raw burst of energy (Gnomes utilize Electricity, Goblins utilize Fire). The appearance of their "claw pack" illustrates that they're built for hand-to-hand combat, with all the appeal of a brawler (bare hands, athletic poise, etc.).

"rDPS" | A specialization that utilizes a plethora of projected ordinance alongside two very massive, very powerful hand-cannons to terrify (and, ultimately, terri-FRY) anybody who would dare to stand in front of them and their goals (Gnomes utilize Electricity, Goblins utilize Fire). The appearance of their "claw pack" should reflect that they're built for a range, with a sleek stature and two cannons where you'd normally find hands/claws.

"Tank" | A specialization that engages his/her enemies with a monstrous mechanical shield in one hand, and a small sprayer (hose-fed) in the other. This sprayer is used to lather his/her enemies in a corrosive concoction (Gnomes utilize electrified "Shock Water", Goblins utilize self-heating "Hotspray"). The appearance of their "claw pack" should communicate that they're as sturdy as a missile silo, though simultaneously highlighting their use of chemicals offensively (meaning, the sprayer and the tank it's connected to need to look dangerous).

"Healer" | A specialization that focuses almost exclusively on formulating and dispersing tinctures on the move and utilizing a massive, two-handed liquid-cannon (hose-fed) to rain down extremely potent restorative elixirs on their allies. The appearance of their "claw pack" ought to reflect their non-combative nature, with the more pronounced features being the tank that stores their healing extract and the enormous dispersal cannon connected to it.

The two specializations highlighted in orange deliver on the "Tinker" fantasy.
    The two specializations highlighted in green deliver on the "Alchemist" fantasy.

A few related images and what they're related to:

"rDPS" cannons might look something like this:
    https://cdn.instructables.com/FH8/G3...I4X1.LARGE.jpg

"Tank" could look a lot like this, minus the hand-held potion:
    http://www.lol-wallpapers.com/wp-con...egends-lol.jpg

"Tank" could utilize a weapon similar to this, spraying liquid instead:
    https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...fxoatkmpt4.jpg

"Healer" could look something like this, replacing a lazerbeam with an elixir shower:
    http://imageslogotv-a.akamaihd.net//...=jpg&width=480
    Last edited by Fyersing; 2018-02-07 at 09:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Probably the first sign that this is a terrible idea is that it isnt implemented in game.

It's implemented in the game, we just can't play it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Or make the class the most underrepresented in the history of Warcraft, making it exclusive to two of the least liked races in the game.
    And that matters why exactly?

What if they're actually fun to play?

"Pilot a mech" is nothing but window dressing. A "coat of paint". Mechanic-wise, it's not really different from any of the druid's forms.

Mechanic-wise, nothing your class idea does can't be replicated by other classes. In other words, there's nothing really unique, there. Even the theme is already taken by the engineering profession.
    Please describe a class that performs Self Destruct mechanic-wise.

And that matters why exactly?

What if they're actually fun to play?
    If they're actually fun to play or not is completely independent of "piloting a mech". Because what makes a class fun to play are the mechanics. No matter how flashy (or not) a class is, it's the gameplay that makes a class fun to play.

Please describe a class that performs Self Destruct mechanic-wise.
    Several classes could get such an ability. All one needs to do is fine a way to make it fit the theme of the class. Off the top of my head, warlocks could "overload with fel" and explode. After all "exploding with too much fel" is a thing, as we've seen it happen twice already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    If they're actually fun to play or not is completely independent of "piloting a mech". Because what makes a class fun to play are the mechanics. No matter how flashy (or not) a class is, it's the gameplay that makes a class fun to play.
    So you're saying that piloting a mech wouldn't be a fun mechanic? Considering the response to the mech mounts and Gelbin in Broken Shore, the player base would appear to disagree with you.

Several classes could get such an ability. All one needs to do is fine a way to make it fit the theme of the class. Off the top of my head, warlocks could "overload with fel" and explode. After all "exploding with too much fel" is a thing, as we've seen it happen twice already.
    I'm talking about right now, not in your twisted fantasies about exploding bears and Warlocks. If there's no class that can currently perform the mechanic, then it is a new mechanic.

Also blowing up a vehicle is pretty different thematically than a spell caster blowing themselves up.

I said they come from two very different classes, which helps separate them. You also seem to be forgetting that ANOTHER Frost spec can't just be different from Frost Mages, it has to be different from Frost DKs as well.
    They don't have to be different from Frost DK's though, they just have to not be Frost DK's; ie a melee powerhouse that uses dark Frost magic.

Demon Hunters and Warlocks, Paladins and Priests. They both use the same schools of magic, same core techniques, but the classes are not the same basic archetype (Melee vs Spellcaster). Warlocks and Shadow Priests share the same themes of dark spellcasting too, albeit from different schools of magic and neither touching upon Necromancy.

Shadowfrost absolutely makes sense as a theme, one that is as unique as Shamanistic magic. Shaman Elemental magic differs from its arcane counterpart, yet it is shared by Monks. We can have multiple classes use the same schools of magic, and similar archetypes can use the same schools of magic given that schools of magic are distinct. Necromancers fit all the rules presented by other classes.

A Death Knight is a Necromancer in general terms, just as they are described as (unholy) Warriors in Warcraft 3. They aren't of the Warrior class, and thusly, they aren't the Necromancer class.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2018-02-07 at 09:55 PM.