10+ Year Old Account

Spooky Tales and Ghost Stories.

Alright so what’s your most Spooky Story, Strange Encounter of the third kind, maybe Ghost Stories, ever tangled with the super natural, paranormal, unexplained or unknown?

If so this is a safe place to tell it no judgements, judgement free zone.

Trying to think of one from my tow truck days. Lots of crazy things happen on the road between the hours of 11pm and 5am. Especially up in northern Minnesota in the sticks. From time to time we get phantom calls. Basically calls people would make if they seen someone on the side of the road but too afraid to stop. One of the older guys would tell us about was about this one isolated road where a woman died like in the 50’s yet every once in a while we would get a call with a perfect description of the woman, and the car.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2018-02-03 at 08:19 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Bob Hill and his new wife Betty were vacationing in Europe, as it happens, near Transylvania. They were driving in a rental car along a rather deserted highway. It was late, and raining very hard. Bob could barely see 20 feet in front of the car.

Suddenly the car skids out of control! Bob attempts to control the car, but to no avail! The car swerves and smashes into a tree.

Moments later, Bob shakes his head to clear the fog. Dazed, he looks over at the passenger seat and sees his wife unconscious, with her head bleeding! Despite the rain and unfamiliar countryside, Bob knows he has to carry her to the nearest phone.

Bob carefully picks his wife up and begins trudging down the road. After a short while, he sees a light. He heads towards the light, which is coming from an old, large house. He approaches the door and knocks.

A minute passes. A small, hunched man opens the door. Bob immediately blurts, "Hello, my name is Bob Hill, and this is my wife Betty. We've been in a terrible accident, and my wife has been seriously hurt. Can I please use your phone??"

"I'm sorry," replied the hunchback, "but we don't have a phone. My master is a Doctor; come in and I will get him!"

Bob brings his wife in. An elegant man comes down the stairs. "I'm afraid my assistant may have misled you. I am not a medical doctor; I am a scientist. However, it is many miles to the nearest clinic, and I have had a basic medical training. I will see what I can do. Igor, bring them down to the laboratory."

With that, Igor picks up Betty and carries her downstairs, with Bob following closely. Igor places Betty on a table in the lab. Bob collapses from exhaustion and his own injuries, so Igor places Bob on an adjoining table.

After a brief examination, Igor's master looks worried. "Things are serious, Igor. Prepare a transfusion." Igor and his master work feverishly, but to no avail. Bob and Betty Hill are no more.

The Hills' deaths upset Igor's master greatly. Wearily, he climbs the steps to his conservatory, which houses his grand piano. For it is here that he has always found solace. He begins to play, and a stirring, almost haunting, melody fills the house.

Meanwhile, Igor is still in the lab tidying up. His eyes catch movement, and he notices the fingers on Betty's hand twitch. Stunned, he watches as Bob's arm begins to rise! He is further amazed as Betty sits straight up!

Unable to contain himself, he dashes up the stairs to the conservatory. He bursts in and shouts to his master:

"Master, Master! ... The Hills are alive with the sound of music!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    I guess long hours on the road, while being sleep deprived will make you see things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    "Master, Master! ... The Hills are alive with the sound of music!

Lmao very good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I guess long hours on the road, while being sleep deprived will make you see things.
    Yeah I never got that call but every once in a while I had to get a call to pick up after some pretty terrible accidents. Especially ones where they didn’t wear a seatbelt or got ejected from the car.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

It was my sophomore year in university, and I was living with three other people in the on-campus apartments. It was Tuesday afternoon and I was coming back from my last class for the day, while my roommates were leaving for theirs. Home alone, I settled down in front of my computer to play a computer game to chill for a bit.

After some time, I started hearing the sound of rushing water, like water coming out of a faucet or broken sprinkler. I looked outside the window but didn't see the sprinkler on. I looked in the kitchen sink but the faucet was off. I finally looked in the bathroom and--lo and behold--the bathroom sink faucet was turned all the way up. I didn't think much of it and just assumed one of my roommates forgot to turn off the water before leaving.

That Thursday, it was the same situation--I was coming home just as my roommates were leaving. Again, I was in front of my computer and again, after some time, I started hearing the sound of rushing water. I looked in the bathroom ... but the faucet was off this time. I looked in the kitchen but the kitchen sink faucet was off as well, but I kept hearing the sound of rushing water. There was one place left I hadn't looked but it made the least sense.

So a bit of an explanation: The first door leads to the sink area, and there's a second door that leads to the toilet and bathtub/shower. I went back into the bathroom and noticed this time that the second door was closed, which was strange because it would only be closed if someone was inside. I opened the door and it was evident the sound of the water was coming from here. I saw that the shower curtain was pulled across all the way--again, strange because no one was using the shower. I pulled the shower curtain back and saw that the bathtub faucet was just gushing out water, evidently turned on all the way.

I turned off the water and went back to my computer. I never mentioned it to my roommates, waiting to see if anyone would make some type of comment that would give away that it was a set up. But no one said anything.

I found out later that there was a suicide in the apartment we lived in some years prior. Oddly, the girls that lived on top of us had some weird experiences as well, like kitchen cabinets opening and closing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got two stories:

First:

When I was scoping out colleges to go to, Cal State Channel Islands was one of the ones on my list.

Now, this Cal State has two distinctions: one, it's relatively new in the cal state system, and two, it's built on the grounds of an old insane asylum, formerly the Camarillo Mental hospital.

Many of the old buildings were repurposed into classrooms, dorms, offices, and so forth, but an equal number of buildings hadn't yet been renovated and still sat abandoned with broken windows and overgrown courtyards.

My sister, mother and I toured the campus one weekend during a torrential rainstorm. Being primarily a commuter college, the campus was largely empty. After the tour, my family and I decided to look around the (rather sprawling and spread out) campus. As we wandered past the abandoned buildings, I decided to check one of the wrought iron gates and discovered- lo and behold- it wasn't locked. So my sister and I (my mother would not follow) decided to do a bit of exploring. We trekked up and down what was likely the old children's quarters, given the presence of many large and detailed murals depicting popular movie figures and shows from decades past. Moving out of the hallways, lit only by an almost cliche-ly flickering single light, we made our way into the dormitory itself (the second floor,) which was lit only by the weak daylight entering through the grimy windows. We looked around somewhat, but stopped at the entrance to a long hallway that went further into the building that plunged completely into darkness.

Now, I don't believe in ghosts or other superstitious stuff. But I, for the life of me, could not bring myself to go down that hallway. So my sister and I backtracked outside to our nervous mother, and we headed back across the rainy, empty campus towards the parking lot.

Before leaving proper, however, we wanted to check out one more building- a series of abandoned offices attached to the library and adjacent to a rather large, open area including the parking lot. So once again, my sister and I headed in to a (once again) unlocked door. This one in particular was large, heavy and metal.

This building was a mess, but not in a vandalized kind of way (none of the buildings we saw had been vandalized, interestingly enough.) Papers were scattered everywhere on the desks and floors. Furniture was askew and chairs cluttered the hallways. My sister and I took this in for a while, heading deeper into the building until once again, we came across that same kind of hallway- plunging off into darkness. So once again my sister and I abruptly turned back to head to the one and only exit- the large, heavy metal door.

We weren't more than 10 feet from the door when suddenly, it shuddered. My sister and I froze; my first thought is that we were going to be caught by some staff or security guard and reprimanded (though i figured I couldn't be kicked out of a school I wasn't yet attending.) We waited for perhaps 15 seconds in silence, but the door remained still.

Slowly, I made my way to the door. I grabbed the handle, and thrust it open and...

There was nothing. Nothing there but a large, empty, rainy parking lot. Not a single person around in any direction.

So my sister and I got the hell out of there.

Second:

This was some years ago so exact specifics are a little dodgy, but my room at my parent's house is adjacent to my sister's and across a small hallway from both the bathroom and my parent's room (my parents have their own bathroom connected to their room, so the main hall bathroom's usage is limited primarily to my sister and me.) The floors are old wood floors and quite creaky, so it's very easy to hear when people are coming and going from the bathroom or their respective rooms and I can normally tell from the cadence of the footsteps who, precisely, is there.

It was late one night- I don't particularly remember the time, but suffice to say my parents and sister had long been to bed. I was lying in bed trying to fall asleep (probably after a late night doing whatever on the computer, like I said specifics are dodgy) but I distinctly remember being in bed, but awake.

I heard footsteps in the hallway; quick footsteps that I didn't immediately recognize, followed by the sound of the lightswitch being smacked on in the bathroom. (There are two light switches in that bathroom, a normal flick switch for the main lights and a dial switch that must be pushed on for the lights over the mirror.)

Now, this wouldn't be immediately strange, but after that I heard... nothing. No door shut, no toilet seat slam down, no water turn on, nothing... I could very clearly see that a light had been turned through the gap under my door. I sat up in bed, listening for anything. But no noise emanated from that bathroom. That was what was strange. And more importantly, I never heard footsteps leaving.

I sat there for... I don't know how long. It was probably a few minutes. It felt like hours. My first thought is that someone had broken in to our house (somehow silently,) made for the bathroom, turned on a lightswitch and was lying in wait for someone to come investigate. Because there was no way my sister could have gone into that bathroom, turned the light on, and then left, back to her room right next to mine, without me hearing. I mustered all the courage in my young body, thrust open my door, walked across the hall into the bathroom, and found... nothing but a light on- the push light, to be precise. I turned the light off, went back to my room, and locked my door.

To this day, I have no damn clue what could have turned that light on, and it's never happened since.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    are for the gullible.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A couple dealing with dreams of two people close to me.

My wife once woke me up in the middle of the night crying, thinking she was just having a nightmare, I comforted her. She said she keeps dreaming her brother is laying on a operating table, with a sheet over him. I told her to forget it, just a dumb nightmare.

Two days later, we get a message that her brother was in the hospital recovering from a emergency ruptured appendix operation. The time he had the operation was the same time and night my wife had her dream.

Second is one my Mother in law had. One night she woke up from a dream where she saw this airplane on fire and then a lot of stuff coming out of it.

About a week later, she got a message from her son he had been flying from Morocco to France and the plane's one engine had caught on fire and they had to throw a lot of luggage out of the plane to lighten it so they could make a emergency landing in Barcelona.

The time and day that happened was the same when she had the dream.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-02-03 at 04:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always think scary stories work best with a good narrator. My go to for creepy pastas is Otis Jiry.

#boycottchina

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The biggest one:

The first year in America for me was eventful. I was staying at a friends house. A quiet country ranch in a large open field. The house was old and part of the foundations dated back a century. My friend and I were alone in the house and were watching movies and such and then she goes outside to get something from her car. I went to the bathroom since we had the movie on pause and as I walked down the hallway to the bathroom I saw a figure at the end of the hallway. The figure was honestly the most terrifying thing I've ever actually seen. It was a silhoutte of a person, but completely black. Just a inky space where someone would have been standing. It was terrifying to see it there, and it moved a bit like someone moving slowly down the hallway towards me. I think I was complete petrified for a solid couple of seconds and then ran out of the house.

This is also when I started believing in the supernatural and paranormal stuff. I've got a few other stories, though nothing as dramatic. I've worked in some spooky places and had a few other odd encounters, but the Shadow Person or whatever it was is by far the scariest thing I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    The biggest one:

The first year in America for me was eventful. I was staying at a friends house. A quiet country ranch in a large open field. The house was old and part of the foundations dated back a century. My friend and I were alone in the house and were watching movies and such and then she goes outside to get something from her car. I went to the bathroom since we had the movie on pause and as I walked down the hallway to the bathroom I saw a figure at the end of the hallway. The figure was honestly the most terrifying thing I've ever actually seen. It was a silhoutte of a person, but completely black. Just a inky space where someone would have been standing. It was terrifying to see it there, and it moved a bit like someone moving slowly down the hallway towards me. I think I was complete petrified for a solid couple of seconds and then ran out of the house.

This is also when I started believing in the supernatural and paranormal stuff. I've got a few other stories, though nothing as dramatic. I've worked in some spooky places and had a few other odd encounters, but the Shadow Person or whatever it was is by far the scariest thing I've seen.
    Share them. This thread is more interesting than a lot of others I see on here.

I will share one more.

After I got out of the Army, I lived with my aunt and uncle and paid them for room and board. I had my own bedroom. Being single I would stay out late most nights after work and also the job I had would keep me up late. Everything was normal for several weeks until one night I came home, got into bed and was going to sleep when I hear two people arguing, but it was like a whisper. I thought it was my aunt and uncle having a argument, shrugged it off and went to sleep.

This kept happening however, night after night and I was concerned my favorite aunt and uncle where going to get a divorce, so one morning, at the breakfast table, I told them I could hear them arguing every night lately and was concerned they had a serous issue. They looked at each other and said, " It is not us arguing. But there have been several strange things happening lately and we did not want to tell you out of concerns it may scare you unnecessarily." Then they begin to tell me of all these odd things, such as they would be watching tv in the living room and in the kitchen they would hear the back door to the outside from the kitchen open, close and hear foot steps walking across the floor. Then they would call out, "who is it?" , but no answer. The Uncle would get up and go check and find the door still locked from the inside bolt and no one would be there.

Many other things happened also and it would fill up this with too much text. Such things as the phone ringing when they would be in bed and the aunt would get up to answer it and before she could get to it, she would hear someone pick it up and start to talk. It sounded like a woman and man arguing. She would get to where the phone was and no one was there. They finally moved and never had any more experiences like that when they did. I never saw anything. But the voices of a woman and man arguing at night when I was in bed was clear.

Before that happened, I never gave the ghost stories any thought or credit. But I knew my aunt and uncle for many years and they are not the type who would lie. It made me wonder about other such type tales.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-02-03 at 10:51 PM.

I always think to my experience in childhood with me waking up to find a large, black dog looming over me, pinning me down, looking down with big, sad eyes, only to disappear as soon as I blinked. It freaked me the hell out for years until I learned that it was just Sleep Paralysis. I have no doubt if my parents believed in tea leaves and omens they would've tried to convince me I was visited by some evil spirit. Far more likely, I watched Harry Potter the previous night and Sirius's dog form creeped me out.

As for spooky stories I've heard, this one, hidden in an innocuous character file in Doki Doki Literature Club, really unnerved me.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2018-02-04 at 12:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I always think to my experience in childhood with me waking up to find a giant, black dog looming over me, pinning me down, looking down with big, sad eyes, only to disappear as soon as I blinked. It freaked me the hell out for years until I learned that it was just Sleep Paralysis. I have no doubt if my parents believed in tea leaves and omens they would've tried to convince me I was visited by some evil spirit. Far more likely, I watched Harry Potter the previous night and Sirius's dog form creeped me out.

As for spooky stories I've heard, this one, hidden in an innocuous character file in Doki Doki Literature Club, really unnerved me.
    Yes. Nightmares are real. And most ghost stories can be explained as some natural event. And the mind can mislead us. But there are some, which, you know what you seen and it was not at night, while you were sleeping. And it was not fuzzy or faint. Like some I have heard from other people. I have never personally seen a ghost. But I know people whom I respect as being honest who have. And their experiences where not at night from a nightmare. Some happened in the day time and the image was as clear as seeing another person.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Yes. Nightmares are real. And most ghost stories can be explained as some natural event. And the mind can mislead us. But there are some, which, you know what you seen and it was not at night, while you were sleeping. And it was not fuzzy or faint. Like some I have heard from other people. I have never personally seen a ghost. But I know people whom I respect as being honest who have. And their experiences where not at night from a nightmare. Some happened in the day time and the image was as clear as seeing another person.
    It just gives me some perspective to know that I can see something with my own two eyes, feel its paws pressing down on my lungs, and remember its facial expression 10 years later and it still not being real. Our senses, as much as we must depend on them, are prone to error. Due to that, when people bring up claims like this, I demand something more objectively verifiable than "I saw it with my own eyes!"

Sleep Paralysis is particularly freaky because, functionally speaking, you're completely awake, but still half-dreaming, and still paralyzed to prevent acting our said dreams. You attempt to move, only to find that you can't. Your "helpful" hallucinating brain then concocts a reason that you can't move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    It just gives me some perspective to know that I can see something with my own two eyes, feel its paws pressing down on my lungs, and remember its facial expression 10 years later and it still not being real. Our senses, as much as we must depend on them, are prone to error. Due to that, when people bring up claims like this, I demand something more objectively verifiable than "I saw it with my own eyes!"

Sleep Paralysis is particularly freaky because, functionally speaking, you're completely awake, but still half-dreaming, and still paralyzed to prevent acting our said dreams. You attempt to move, only to find that you can't. Your "helpful" hallucinating brain then concocts a reason that you can't move.
    Yes. I understand your points. Our eyes can deceive us. But you will know when it does after you have had time to think about it. But if you saw a dog clearly walking down the street in board daylight and it suddenly just vanished in plain view. I am not sure I would dismiss it as just a illusion. I would have more questions in my mind than answers.

But many things are not hard to explain. Such as sleep paralysis. Which I have experienced. Also hallucinating when you are on drugs or having a high fever. I saw demons in my hospital room when I was in the Army with 105 temps. I look back and it is easy to explain that. People who have a documented mental disorder report seeing and hearing all kinds of strange crap.

what intrigues me is when young children will describe something that they shouldn't know... but they claim they saw.

My son would describe out dog that had passed a year before he was born in detail when he was like two. Saying it was the puppy under his bed.

Or he would talk about PopPop coming to see him even though he had passed...
    Last edited by Maneo; 2018-02-04 at 03:10 AM.
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

Wanted to add a story and keep this thread going.

I work in a building built in the early 1920s. It was formally a hotel but converted to offices in the mid-1980s. By European standards, a building built in the 1920s pretty recent, but in California, that's a pretty good age. We moved into our space maybe two years ago, and had those motion sensor lights installed throughout--I think they're required by state law. Any way, one time I was working late and everyone else had gone home. I was sitting in my office, but the rest of the office was dark because no one else was around and moving about. As I was on my computer, the light in main office space blinked on, even though no on was there.

In a related story, one night I was sitting in the conference room, again, alone in the office, when the lights in the kitchen blinked on as if someone walked in.

My coworkers have seen shadows moving in the office and in the restroom, heard voices, etc. The janitorial staff have experienced things throughout the building like shadows and objects moving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    what intrigues me is when young children will describe something that they shouldn't know... but they claim they saw.

My son would describe out dog that had passed a year before he was born in detail when he was like two. Saying it was the puppy under his bed.

Or he would talk about PopPop coming to see him even though he had passed...
    That is a very interesting story.

My wife and her brother developed their own language from about 1 - 5. They are 2 years apart. Even their parents could not understand them. The older one would have to translate what was said between them.