Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

President Trump: NHS 'going broke and not working'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42943768

US President Donald Trump has claimed the NHS is "going broke and not working" as he targeted rival Democrats pushing for a universal health system.

In his tweet he also said "thousands of people are marching" about it.

This was believed to be a reference to a Save the NHS march on Downing Street on Saturday demanding more funding for the health service.

Asked about his remarks, Downing Street said Theresa May was "proud" of the UK's system.

Her spokesman said the NHS had recently been ranked as the world's best healthcare system and that Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt, who has hit back at the US president on Twitter, "speaks for the government".

In the UK the NHS is funded out of general taxation, so people do not have to pay when they get treatment. In the US, when people get treatment they have to pay, most often through health insurance providers.

President Trump's tweet came after ex-UKIP leader Nigel Farage appeared on Fox And Friends, one of the president's favourite shows, talking about the weekend march.

"Dems want to greatly raise taxes for really bad and non-personal medical care," Mr Trump tweeted.

In response, Mr Hunt said that while he "disagreed with claims made on that march", no-one wanted "to live in a system where 28 million people have no cover".

He added: "NHS may have challenges but I'm proud to be from the country that invented universal coverage - where all get care no matter the size of their bank balance."

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn - the leader of the UK opposition - also hit back, saying: "People were marching because we love our NHS and hate what the Tories are doing to it."

He added: "Healthcare is a human right."

NHS funding has been hotly debated in the UK as hospitals struggle to cope with the pressure on resources.

A panel set up by the Liberal Democrats - the fourth largest party in the Commons - has called for a ring-fenced tax to fund the service, saying an extra £4bn was needed for next year and an additional £2.5bn for both 2019 and 2020.

Lib Dem leader Sir Vince Cable urged the US president to read the study, "to find out how to fund a universal healthcare system".
    More in link

So do you have anything to say or are you not interested in the topic?

I'm guessing you're not interested in the topic by the fact that you didn't post anything related to it. so that being that case, why post this at all?

It has been like this for as long as I can remember.

Never had a bad experience at an NHS hospital.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Post counts matter.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Status of brits: Triggered cucked

Deleted

I'm guessing you're not interested in the topic by the fact that you didn't post anything related to it. so that being that case, why post this at all?
    Yes I do, I think it's rather hypocritical of an American suggesting our healthcare doesn't work and also idiotic to bash the NHS since that's almost universally defended here

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mitten View Post
    Status of brits: Triggered cucked
    Triggered? More shaking our heads at your Twitter Ohrangutang

10+ Year Old Account
    I generally refrain from disparaging our unfortunate President but he really should kindly stfu about topics he knows literally nothing about.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Why do you care what Trump says? The man is clearly mentally challenged.

Didn't you just literally do the exact same thing?

(As did I)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Boredom mostly, plus it's amusing watching people defend crazy

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Boredom mostly, plus it's amusing watching people defend crazy
    Fair enough.

Now, I may not support socialized health care, but there's no doubt it can be done in a more-efficient manner than how the United States does it. The United States pas partially-socialize health care, but the cost is hidden taxes, so people don't think about it as much. We don't realize that Medicare and Medicaid are a huge part of our national budget. They don't take into account the employer contributions to employee health care plans. We don't see the largest part of out health care bills, so we are largely ignorant on the overall costs.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2018-02-05 at 06:50 PM.

He's not wrong though. NHS is in trouble but it's because people voted for it. Congrats on Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    So were the people marching for more funding and better care wrong or right? You can’t have it both ways. I’ve yet to see a country with truly free social medicine that was equal to the quality of care your typical American gets with private insurance. I have no doubt the NHS is comparable to the care I receive through the VA though.

Why do I use the VA when I have private insurance you might ask? Because it’s completely free versus an annual cap of $2500 on my private insurance.
    So, you are in favor of socialized health care... good to know.

By the way, VA care is not free. You just don't happen to be the one paying for it.

Well, there is funding concerns which relate to non- life threatening treatment, mental health e.t.c

It's still a vastly superior system to allowing your citizens to succumb to crippling debt when they get ill and the insurers find any possible loophole to not help them. I prefer our system to the American one, that's for sure. There is no legitimate argument against a universal health service.

The only reason there is any trouble at all is because we decided to re-elect the conservative party again, whom have been slowly privatising and budget cutting the NHS for years, in place of high-earner tax cuts. Exactly the same as is happening over in the US right now.
    Last edited by thunterman; 2018-02-05 at 06:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    So were the people marching for more funding and better care wrong or right? You can’t have it both ways. I’ve yet to see a country with truly free social medicine that was equal to the quality of care your typical American gets with private insurance. I have no doubt the NHS is comparable to the care I receive through the VA though.

Why do I use the VA when I have private insurance you might ask? Because it’s completely free versus an annual cap of $2500 on my private insurance.
    More funding not necessarily better care. It's because people love the NHS they don't want to see standards not lower thus the march

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    By the way, VA care is not free. You just don't happen to be the one paying for it.
    C'mon, Machismo. Don't go down that road. It's a senseless complaint against universal healthcare systems, and you know it.

"Free health care" has always meant "free to the end-user". Saying "hey, SOMEONE pays for it, in taxes" misses the point. If I offer "free cupcakes", saying "hey, YOU bought the ingredients to make those cupcakes, they aren't REALLY free" doesn't actually make an argument; they're free to people who want cupcakes, and what I may have invested to provide them is irrelevant to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    C'mon, Machismo. Don't go down that road. It's a senseless complaint against universal healthcare systems, and you know it.

"Free health care" has always meant "free to the end-user". Saying "hey, SOMEONE pays for it, in taxes" misses the point. If I offer "free cupcakes", saying "hey, YOU bought the ingredients to make those cupcakes, they aren't REALLY free" doesn't actually make an argument; they're free to people who want cupcakes, and what I may have invested to provide them is irrelevant to that.
    I was directly pointing it at the guy who was trying to justify its use over his private health care. The system in the United States is garbage. You'll notice that the poster I replied to is a devout "conservative," so I was merely pointing to the irony of someone like him making the comment.

Now, I have made it clear that I do not want universal health care. That doesn't mean I want this patchwork system. I would prefer a massively deregulated system, one with multiple tiers of quality of care. However, I'm not foolish enough to say that universal health care cannot be successful. It's objectively better than the current model in the United States in almost every metric.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    It has been like this for as long as I can remember.

Never had a bad experience at an NHS hospital.

- - - Updated - - -

Post counts matter.
    no BLUE post counts matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    His cognitive test would say otherwise

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Shit analogy.

It's more like someone gave you some money to go to the store to help buy the ingredients for those cupcakes you ultimately make for them. Or to be even more accurate, the money was taken from them and given to you without much of a choice on their end.

That doesn't mean they don't like the cupcakes or that they are unhappy with the transaction, but those cupcakes were very much not free for them either.
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2018-02-05 at 07:04 PM.