How would you feel about large, nordic "Arathi Humans" as an Allied Race?

So, we know that there's going to be some scuffling over Stromgarde. From Anduin Lothar, to Thoras and Danath Trollbane, many of the Alliance's greatest heroes hail from the Arathi Highlands. The descendants of Arathor are also notable in that they were all depicted as exceptionally large men, even beyond Stormwind's rugged people.

While many of us have argued for playable Vrykul -- and I'm certainly not saying don't still love the idea -- the thought occurs to me that formally reintroducing the Arathi as an Allied Race of humans with a more unique silhouette, might be the perfect "middle-ground", and also create a much more compelling pillar for the Lore.

Think about it; we've had these big, awesome heroes that hail from the Arathi Highlands (or at least the original Arathi bloodline). Warriors even embark to claim Strom'kar, the Sword of the Barbarian King, humanity's first real "king". And yet, there's really only a few we've ever seen ingame, and they're all simply "large Human character-models".

What if you retconned them, so to speak, and gave them a unique character-model?

My thinking; build them somewhat similarly to the upright Orc model, but obviously with Human propotions. They would still be larger than Stormwind's humans, but smaller and shorter than Orcs proper. The idea is that they would be "Arathi Barbarians", less 'civilized' than their brethren in the other kingdoms, but made up by being great warriors.

Of course, for inspiration how they might look, I would look no further than Diablo 3's Barbarians:

https://i.imgur.com/Rn0zo.jpg

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/..._Barbarian.jpg

Because of their relation to the Hinterlands, they might have a more positive connection with the Wildhammer Dwarves, thus explaining why they might have adopted braids and war-paint to fill out some of their Customization options. Due to their barbarian culture, I would imagine they would lack access to any "Holy" or "magic-using" Classes, save for maybe Shaman. I would almost consider Druid, but I guess it would depend more on how their culture was depicted.

Speaking of which, you've got to flesh them out, right?

The Brotherhood of the Horse has been MIA ever since Lothar died. Seeing as the last of the Arathi-descended humans were known as "the Sons of Arathor", that's what I would formally call their "race". I would explain their "absence" by saying that when Lothar fell, and the "Alliance" was formed during Warcraft II, the Brotherhood of the Horse elected to embrace their nomadic lifestyle, and stayed clear of any conflict between factions. Recent events, however, how forced them from their home in the mountains, and now they're fighting to reclaim their ancient birthright, the Kingdom of Arathor.

Or you could make it even simpler, and retcon them completely saying "This is what Arathi people were always meant to look like, we're just making it official now".

Either way, I actually think it could make a pretty strong candidate for an Allied Race. And given Stromgarde is becoming a staging ground for larger conflict, I think it could be the perfect opportunity to bring them into the fold!

I support this instead of Kul'tiras humans.

Thinking about it, with Danath Trollbane having sworn to "return Stromgarde to its former glory" or something like that, perhaps his return to herald the introduction of the "Arathi Barbarians"? Basically, when Stromgarde went to hell prior to WoW, they headed for the mountains, going back to their primal roots (versus other members of the Alliance kinda-sorta remaining stationed in the area, poking and prodding to possibly retake it).

Again, just my two cents on how to handle their introduction. There might be a better way, and I'm all for hearing ideas!

We already have vrykul vikings, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    We already have vrykul vikings, so no.
    We don't "have them", though. Not playable, and it's looking increasingly likely they're to remain an NPC-only race. With this, though, we could sort of get the best of both worlds, with some Vrykul-themed hair and beard styles (with Arathor being the first Human kingdom, they're probably physically closer to being Vrykul, as well), while also suiting the Lore pretty well.

Like I said, just don't make them complete carbon-copies of "Humans with new hair-styles".

The humans of Stromgarde are no different than the rest, say, from Stormwind or Lordaeron. There's no foundation to base this race on as we've got Vrykul.

Refuge Pointe and various Alliance organizations is where almost all of Stromgarde's defenders went after the kingdom fell, while some chose to follow Galen.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    The humans of Stromgarde are no different than the rest, say, from Stormwind or Lordaeron. There's no foundation to base this race on as we've got Vrykul.

Refuge Pointe and various Alliance organizations is where almost all of Stromgarde's defenders went after the kingdom fell, while some chose to follow Galen.
    Well, as stated, they've pretty consistently been depicted as exceptionally large men. Not just "They're NPC's so they're taller", but even in artwork. It's true they might not be physiologically that far removed, but when you really consider how much culture plays into appearance, it might tell another story.

Look at the Kul Tiras humans. They fought with the Alliance in WC2, as well. They're still very much "humans", but they have noticeably different proportions. By that same logic, the Arathi humans, as direct descendants of the Barbarian-King, might also look different. It doesn't necessarily mean "they evolved into a completely different sub-race", but that their culture is different enough that they look and act different.

And again, Vrykul are not playable. Their character-models are incredibly outdated by today's standards, and I given how much of Legion is specifically dependent on the player *NOT* being a Vrykul, I don't foresee Blizzard allowing that option.

With Arathi Humans, though, you can sort of grasp that "viking" theme, while applying it to newer, more nuanced character-models.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Well, as stated, they've pretty consistently been depicted as exceptionally large men. Not just "They're NPC's so they're taller", but even in artwork. It's true they might not be physiologically that far removed, but when you really consider how much culture plays into appearance, it might tell another story.

Look at the Kul Tiras humans. They fought with the Alliance in WC2, as well. They're still very much "humans", but they have noticeably different proportions. By that same logic, the Arathi humans, as direct descendants of the Barbarian-King, might also look different. It doesn't necessarily mean "they evolved into a completely different sub-race", but that their culture is different enough that they look and act different.

And again, Vrykul are not playable. Their character-models are incredibly outdated by today's standards, and I given how much of Legion is specifically dependent on the player *NOT* being a Vrykul, I don't foresee Blizzard allowing that option.

With Arathi Humans, though, you can sort of grasp that "viking" theme, while applying it to newer, more nuanced character-models.
    The exceptionally large Kul Tirans were an unnecessary addition in my opinion. They could've simply said there are Vrykul affiliated with the humans of Kul Tiras, who fight alongside them as they were recruited for their seafaring prowess or whatever. Perhaps not even that, but add a settlement of seafaring Vrykul that players would unlock as an allied race.

They added them out of nowhere after we've seen what Kul Tiran soldiers look like for one and a half decades.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    They aren't really large, nor nordic.

For the record, I still absolutely support the idea of playable Vrykul. But repurposing the Arathi seemed more relevant, and more likely.