Thread: Frost question

Frost question

Here's my character, he's not the best geared at all, just ok @ i943.
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...ljin/dethdingo

I mainly do Mythic + runs up to maybe 10 or 11, and I run current Normal Raids, only very rarely doing a heroic maybe once a month. Mostly do Mythic +10's and Normal Raiding.

So...question I have is regarding Frostscythe, I like to use it in Mythic runs, it seems to be a good sweeping dps attack, and the little numbers floating over my head, shows it does over 1 mil dps when procs. But my Guild says I should drop it and instead pick Gathering Storm as that talent choice.

What's your opinion ? And do you recommend any changes or help on my gear ? Obviously gems and enchants, but some of this gear is new still.

Generally: FS on fortified weeks and GS on tyrannical weeks.
    There are some different uses and exceptions, but this is the general use.

But for the glory of us DK - don't use "Abomination's Might". The AoE-stun is generally so much better! Abom. is a niche talent, which has very few uses.
    Furthermore: get more crit. Try to be over 30% krit and get more mastery (~40%ish or sth). Enchant your stuff.

Get one +15 key/week. The 960 loot is sweat. And try to do clear runs and not "one boss and bye" - as well as Argus himself.
    Last edited by Bloodyleech; 2018-02-06 at 05:07 PM.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would recommend trying to replace trinkets. I've had both Gorshalach's and Ravaged Seed, not a fan of either, especially the seed pod. Gorshalach's takes time to stack and can pop on random garbage. There's a few other nice trinkets from Antorus, and Tier Bonuses will help a lot. Also enchants/gems. Icy Veins has some good info there.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Gathering Storm beats Frostscythe on pure single target, which is probably why you're being told that. But you'd still run the latter on Portal Keeper, High Command and Eonar. You're also only running normal so talent choice matters... very little, especially in the "aoe" row. I have Frostscythe on my DK, but that's only because I have suboptimal legendaries (I'm running Soul of the Deathlord and the Sindragosa's Fury pants).

Personally, I would switch Frostscythe to Gathering Storm, if only because whether single target or aoe you'll get use out of Gathering Storm. On single target fights (or, more accurately, single target for melee since you can't multidot Felhounds or Coven), Obliterate is a better option for using the Killing Machine procs.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

If there are 2 targets up for more than ~1/3 of the fight Frostscythe wins, and the length of target uptime required to maintain FSc superiority drops with increasing number of targets. GS wins in single-target situations (Garothi, Felhounds (assuming you aren't stacking them...), Imonar, Kingaroth, Vari, Coven (if they aren't kept in FSc cleave range), Aggramar, Argus), or if single target damage is the priority (most high level M+ dungeons during Tyrannical week).

Gear wise your trinkets are poor. Memento of Angerboda is good and relatively easy to farm. Arcanocrystal at ~870 will probbaly beat everything else you have, but it much more rare. The Argus trinket is decent once you get it up above ~950, and obviously Amanthuls, but you have to hit the lottery there.

For legendaries, Sephuz is very good in any instance where you can proc it on CD. The chest is decent too (but less so without bracers), so you aren't too bad off. Bracers are obviously the equip and forget legendary, but you can't exactly control getting them. Since you don't have any T21 stick with Runic Empowerment as well.

For the rest of your gear pretty much just get the highest ilvl pieces, since stat weights are fluid but tend to be really close together. Since you are doing a lot of M+ Nothing but the Boots is probably your best relic choice, followed by Ambidexterity and Cold as Ice, but none are so strong that a 4+ ilvl difference isn't likely to win.

I also have this Legendary;
    http://www.wowdb.com/items/132458-to...?bonusIDs=4213

So I have;

- Sephuz's Secret
    - Cold Heart
    - Toravon's Whiteout Bindings

In m+ use frostscythe no matter what affixes are. In m+ most important is total damage in dungeon and less single target dmg on bosses. So with frostschythe you'll do a few % less dmg (like 2-3% less) on bosses, but waaaaay more on trash. And for trash use bracers and sephuz.

I'm 968ilvl frost dk and i'm doing +15 to +18 and i'm usually doing 2.5-3 mil dps total in dungeon and my highest dmg ability is frostschythe by far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post

So I have;

- Sephuz's Secret
    - Cold Heart
    You have 3 of the 5 legendary bis, others being the waist for single target when you can't cc for sephuz (interrupt or death grip every 30 seconds), and the other being the legs for more frequent sindragosa trash fun or for Eonar.

As for the GS and frostscythe debate, your guild got it right, however for Eonar and High command frostscythe is better. Portal keeper can go either way, if you're on platforms and your groups imp damage is adequate, go for GS.

As far as m+ is concerned, use GS for tyrannical and frostscythe for fortified.

Drop aboms might for winter is coming.

Cold heart uses RA, waist or sephuz use shattering strikes, except for sephuz it doesn't really matter. Cold heart and waist are more or less equal with their corresponding talents. Cold heart however is way harder to use properly though.

Frost scales extremely well, that means that once you start gearing up properly, you will see much better dps. I think the late 950/960 range is when things really start to hurt.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2018-02-07 at 10:06 AM.

7+ Year Old Account

So I have;

- Sephuz's Secret
    - Cold Heart
    As @Hellmaster said, you have 3 out of the 5 BiS oranges. You'll be fine.
    Bracers and ring for M+
    Bracers and chest for raiding**

**= bracers and ring for high command and eonar.

Interrupt/grip something for ring proc every 40 seconds. Can be anything just grip a trash mob or boss add.

Get weak auras and the cold heart wa so when you hear the Seinfeld bass guitar sound, use chains of ice. Gg
    Percocetz Aeirie Peak Alliance- because im a F'n WEREWOLF!
    Filthy Casual

Just test it out using the ring and wrist instead of the chest and it seems to play a lot faster and smoother now my ilvl is 947.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just test it out using the ring and wrist instead of the chest and it seems to play a lot faster and smoother now my ilvl is 947.
    Sephuz, when proced, gives you haste. It's better than chest, but you can't proc it often, except on some bosses and m+. Cold heart is still the better option for most boss fights.

Deleted
    use Gathering Storm for any raid boss except High Command, Hasabel and Eonar for the AoE damage, get some scribe books to readjust talents to get Frostscythe for AoE Fights and M+

Deleted
    Totally depends on the dungeon, if you are doing something like lower kara on Fortified, then its an obvious pick. But if it was an Upper Tyranical? id consider gathering storm.

Mythic Frost DK raider here. Happy to answer any questions. It won't let me post a link yet. Search for Sephiroph on Whisperwind as an example of a solid gear setup.

As for which spec or legendary to use, it's actually very straightforward.

For a single target fight with little to no cleave and nothing on a 30 second interrupt rotation, you use the belt and wrist legendaries with the gathering storm talent.

For AoE fights, you generally use Sephuz and wrists with frostscythe, because Adds that you can AoE can generally be death gripped, and death gripping an add procs Sephuz. This effectively gives you a lust every 30 seconds, and is fantastic on fights such as high command and portal keeper.

In rare circumstances, where there is AoE the entire fight but no regularly grippable/interruptable adds, then you use wrist/soul of the death lord with frostsycthe. This is also a good setup for slowing/ccing adds on Eonar.

Also, a quick note on gear, haste is your best secondary stat, but strength matters more than anything. This meansor Gorlash trinket is very bad. Try to get the upgradable trinket off argus. Also you want crit until you get to 20-25% and then the rest can be mastery or vers. Mastery is better AoE, vers is better ST.
    Last edited by Sephiroph; 2018-05-17 at 06:07 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I got way better single target using Cold Heart and RA. By better I mean consistent, I think. You just have to watch Cold Heart diligently, which makes fights slightly harder.

Pillar + Chains at 20, then chains again at 10 stack before Pillar falls off. Get the weak aura for it.