Mage ilvl to 907 - 31% crit - 29% haste - 43% mastery

-lonely winter
    -shimmer
    -incanters flow
    -frozen touch
    -frigid winds
    -arctic gale
    -thermal void

I had been running with glacial spike, but since so many people were doing it with thermal void I decided to try that.

Also, I made two equipment changes that boosted me higher.

I got just enough of that titan essence to upgrade my legendary shard of the exodar to 1000 from 940, that gave me more crit and haste, and I had a trinket that was ilvl 910 with over 2k int but an on use for versitility I was never using in the fight, I swapped that out for a trinket with like 1200 to 1200 int but also 900 haste. I wanted the passive haste.

Before my crit and haste were around 26 for crit and 24 for haste, that boost made it a little easier to get the casts off which I think is useful for more procs of the stuff that needs to proc to make the kill.

For strategy:

phase 1 : easy mode kite and damage karam
    phase 2 : easy mode damage raest and AoE, however I popped icy veins to get him lower here faster, I wanted him as low as I could get before the final phase when everything is happening.

phase 3 : the hardest phase with my strategy. I died on this phase more than any other, but after the haste and crit boost, it was much easier. macro karam and the hands to minimize downtime, you might get some unlucky positioning and rng for procs, but if your procs are decent, you should be able to get karam and the hands down with enough tries.

phase 4, now that raest is up again, I popped time warp here to dps him down hard and fast, while of course keeping up AoE to slow the adds. If you see one of those purple runes near you, move to it, or blink to it if it's not right in the middle of a swarm of adds (if it is, you might be screwed if this happens early), but aside from that, just keep the AoE up to slow the adds and karam when he comes back online and keep dpsing raest. I only ever bothered counter spelling the first cast from one of the hands for the AoE damage and then go fight back to focusing Raest, if a rune pops up that you can't easily get to, let it grow, just keep the easy AoE and burn raest down.

With time warp hopefully still going he should be losing health a bit faster, same with any AoE he happens to be under.

My primary weakness as a player, is that I am not a twitch player. Without target macros, the amount of time lost to retargeting would be immense. And I get flustered and my clicks go everywhere. To combat this, I did not try to become some master switcher like so many of you seem capable of, where even in the last phase with all that shit going on, you seem to have enough bandwidth to order elementals with a different talent regime to go stand on that spot, deal with karam and dpsing the hands down at the last phase while switching back to raest later on, all the while karam keeps getting faster.

I needed to simplify things, there were enough things going on for me already that I needed to ditch the pet and put more of its power into the abilities I was casting. I got just good enough at juggling the minimum number of balls needed to survive long enough to burst him down. If he had a lot more health, it would not have worked. The juggling masters would be far ahead, but it was enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by courtlung View Post

Other random stuff:

You can kite Karam out around the pit north of Raest in phase 1, to keep the AoE areas out of your way and make phase 2 that much easier, just be sure to finish phase 1 with Karam near Raest so you can immediately start casting on him in phase 3. The goal in phase 3 is to finish Karam without leaving any hands up. You can still win if you are finishing off a hand in phase 4, but it's much better to immediately switch to Raest, pop all cooldowns and blow him up (glacial spike was awesome for that part). So in phase 3, try to finish Karam just after quickly killing a hand, for me this was just after killing the 3rd hand. Use percentage display for health bars, Karam goes to purgatory at 33%, so be ready for it. Really, the keys for me were #1 and #2 above, this stuff is all just little things.
    I did not even think about kiting karam around the pit away from the main area, that is something so basic and obviously useful it's a wonder it was not mentioned online in comments already or is not more widely practiced. Though to be fare, getting stuck in those slow pools was the least of my worry, it was all the other stuff going on.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thank you guys for the tips! I managed to do it today after about 5 more pulls! This time what I did differently was blow cooldowns on the second and fourth phase to burn Raest, rather than using cooldowns on Karam and trying to drop him first. It was pretty hectic at the end and I was down to 10% life from eating a couple hand blasts, but I did manage to burn Raest just in time.

Thank you all again. This was my first time posting in the mage forums here and you guys have been so nice.