Page 25 of 105 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Did you know that Aztecs LITERALLY had WARRIOR PRIESTS?

Because that's basically what Zandalari paladins are.
    A paladin is not just any old warrior-priest, ffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Missed View Post
    Why not? Zandalari pallys would still be less tribal than taurens. Sorry guys but you can't claim dibs on what is a warriorpriest class at the end of the day.
    Yeah we don't blizzard does. It just seems so inconsistent to what we are told in that priests channel the light and paladins infuse themselves with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atalai View Post
    Maybe is the keyword here. Guys, why don't you read before posting?

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Zandalari_...ure_.26_people

It was highlighted back in 5.2 in Zandalari journals looted from isle of thunder Zandalari mobs.
    Building an empire and achieving those heights is not preventing your society from keeping a tradition to test individual's strength, physical, spiritual and mental. Not one of them only.
    And cull the weakest as a result.
    From your link:

Zandalari society has remained an unchanging hierarchy for thousands of years. Hardworking farmers, fishers, and craftsmen form the peasant caste, the foundation of the empire. Zandalari elders tell them what to harvest, when to plant, and how to behave. To disobey the elders is to disobey the gods, an offense punishable by exile or death. The Zandalari warrior caste sits above the peasantry, acting as the arms of the King and the might of the council. Dexterity is not prized among Zandalari warriors: Brute force, backed by ancient magics, is the preferred combat style. Dictating every aspect of Zandalari society down to the very last detail are the scholars of the priesthood. Masters of magic and communing with the spirits, these respected bastions of knowledge stand upon fifteen millennia worth of accumulated knowledge.
    So yeah.... 15 thousands years of hierarchical structure. Survival maybe for the lower classes, but the higher warrior and priesthood classes had millennia to develop and flourish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Oh is it not?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NuLogic View Post
    Yeah we don't blizzard does. It just seems so inconsistent to what we are told in that priests channel the light and paladins infuse themselves with it.
    But they don't either. Aka tauren and belvs

Deleted
    Don't bother, they think it is despite it clearly not being the case... if it was, basically all WoW races with a religion could be a paladin.

Also, paladins will be casting spells with books in hand come BFA... Suits trolls so well, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Atalai View Post
    1 - I am not talking about a ruthless paladin. An individual or a sect like SC can be as ruthless as they like to. I was pointing at the society in which the concept of a paladin comes to be. The survival of the fittest mode that Zandalari and by extent all trolls have does not allow room for weak having any protection, least to say protection provided by a Loa zealot. I wonder if any Loa actually would favor values which are form the core of the paladin class. That didn't happen for 16.000 years and I doubt something would change.
    I don't see it that way. It appears that you still kling to the human knight trope that is associated with paladin, and see this class through this specific perspective, that paladin has to embody exact same values as the knights of the silver hands have.

Zandalari paladin would have slightly different deal and objectives, perspective and priorities.

Just from the top of my head possible and yet fitting concept:

Zandalari paladin would work to enfore will of the Loa and serve the High priests
    they'd be fighting for the empire to protect it's role and might.
    To fight off those who oppose the will of loa (like blood trolls) and those who threaten their legacy.
    to be the elite protectors of God Emperor and loa temples located in Zuldazar

2 - As I already mentioned, all trolls are survivalist. Zandalari especially. They thrived through any major crisis Azeroth has faced over it's existence being the first humanoid sentient race on it. They managed to stay tough. They are the guys who both document all history and lore on Azeroth and then venture into jungle to tame a freaking direhorn as a part of initiation rite. That's what I like about them - they managed to become cultured and learned without becoming soft.
    As you said Zandalaris are still trolls that value strength and ability to provide for themselves. Though, I wouldn't say that their abilities and rituals regarding taming beasts and such is a remark of survival but more a tradition. As Zandalari empire is till managing to hold up unlike others that sadly fell, it's those who lost their empires were forced to go on survival path, Darkspear in particular.

Zandalari still embrace order on top of everything, they're less of a tribe and more a priest/scholar caste. Darkpsears literally lost everything and were forced to fight for their right to be over and over again, they had to be cunning and resourceful. This is why Darkspears have so many shadow hunters.
    It's the shadow hunters that have to go through really demanding rituals and this is why they're the most elite fighters among trolls.

Don't get me wrong I love each troll race and I'm happy to see more of them. But we all know that Zandalari are still different they managed to keep their culture intact, and to me survival trope is more associated with those that have nothing to come back to because they lost everything. I'm not saying that Zandalaris are like highborne that they're so stuck up with their goods that they forgot how it is to fight and sacrifice, thankfully not and I'm glad they continue those rituals that they have in order to forge their people into strong warriors.

So yeah bottom line is I don't see how paladin class would not fit Zandalari knowing their theme, their priorities, story. If anything it would beautifully wrap them, it would set a clear distinction between them and other troll tribes, and would enhance the feeling that Zandalaris are indeed highly priest/scholar society if they managed to get their own order of palates.

So I really hope Blizzard will reconsider it, this is the most unique and and the most fitting paladin combo Horde could ever get.

I have 2 paladins on alliance side. So it's not like I am saying that because I'm troll player, I understand the value paladin holds to Alliance. But again Zandalari prelates is such an exotic and unique approach to this class that I believe it would be huge waste to not have it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by monopoly man View Post
    Don't bother, they think it is despite it clearly not being the case... if it was, basically all WoW races with a religion could be a paladin.

Also, paladins will be casting spells with books in hand come BFA... Suits trolls so well, am I right?
    Buy you guys keep on saying that paladin class is deeply in relation to knight of the silver hand legacy. But Knight of the silver hand originated from priests that started to fight. That was the case of Turalyon, that was the case with every big paladin figure, ending on Liadrin and recently Delas Moonfang.

So please make up your mind on it.

As for book - Zandalaris are scholar society and history keepers. So it's not that odd as you make it appear.
    Last edited by Ramz; 2018-02-12 at 02:37 PM.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

5+ Year Old Account
    Zandalari should be able to play Paladins.

Dark Iron should be able to play Shamans.

Seriously. Between Prelates and Free-Thinkers we have enough of a basis for Zandadins. And between the Twilight's Hammer and the fact that the Dark Iron Dwarves USED SHAMANISM TO DEAL WITH RAGNAROS we have enough basis for Dark-Shams.
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post

Seriously. Between Prelates and Free-Thinkers we have enough of a basis for Zandadins. And between the Twilight's Hammer and the fact that the Dark Iron Dwarves USED SHAMANISM TO DEAL WITH RAGNAROS we have enough basis for Dark-Shams.
    Dark Irons should have priests as well. It's really odd that they don't have it at all, when they fill the dark priest niche just nicely not to mention that a lot of big bosses were priests including their racial leader - Moira.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

Quote Originally Posted by monopoly man View Post

Yes that would suit ZANDALARI perfectly. Read the quote in the post above.
    All WoW races with a religion AND a hierarchical structure that allows for a strong priest and warrior caste. Aka NOT all races. But yes, definitely suitable for zandalari.

After kicking Forsaken out of line, night elves are first to become paladins.

7+ Year Old Account
    paladins in wow are just warriors or priests who infuse themselves with light and go for mele combat, they follow a code and a religion with their lives

so yes kinda fit the zandalari
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2018-02-12 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post

didnt they use standard magic to summon him? like for the chained water elemental, but bigger

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    paladins in wow are just warriors or priests who infuse themselves with light and go for mele combat, they follow a code and a religion with their lives

so yes kinda fit the zandalari
    Yeah, the point is... The ideal for paladins is the crusading knight of Christianity. The entire concept is built on that archetype. There were always other holy warrior types. Like whirling dervishes. Yet you wouldn't quite call them paladins, now, would you?

I wouldn't fuss much about Zandalari getting a class that augments melee with divine magic. But they should have a different name and different visuals. Zandalari don't fit the bill for paladins in my eyes - they are savages. (In the good, oldschool Horde way, of course - but it does not mesh with paladins for me.)

Deleted
    Yeah, the point is... The ideal for paladins is the crusading knight of Christianity. The entire concept is built on that archetype. There were always other holy warrior types. Like whirling dervishes. Yet you wouldn't quite call them paladins, now, would you?

I wouldn't fuss much about Zandalari getting a class that augments melee with divine magic. But they should have a different name and different visuals. Zandalari don't fit the bill for paladins in my eyes - they are savages. (In the good, oldschool Horde way, of course - but it does not mesh with paladins for me.)
    Except that most RPG's that have paladins have no notion of Christianty. Maybe something similar, but that's the point. Similar.
    And wow does not follow all RPG cliche's perse, and ever since BELF and Draenei pallies where added have expanded the archetype of what paladins are. Sunwalkers expand it even further.

I'm all in favour of renaming classes, specs and abilities based on race. makes loads of sence, especially for paladins. And lorewise they already did, we have paladins, blood knight and sun walkers. It's just not represented ingame, imo that's not a reason to not add another flavour that fits the archetype well. Why is that suddenly an argument against Zandalari paladin archetype, while it's a crossed bridge when looking at BELF and Tauren paladins (regardless if you agree with that being possible).

Also I'm not in favour of taking away classes, but I do understand people that thinks it's weird they choose warlocks and rogues over paladins. Paladins, in certain lights make more sense then those two.

7+ Year Old Account

obvious they will not have because blizzard is lazy, but if they put Sunwalkers, bloodknights and vindicators int h same ship as human/dwarf paladins, sure they can put the prelates or the freethinkers there too

if you don't want to look like a silver hand paladin just transmog

And Zandalari are not savage as other trolls tribes are, actually we can even say they are one of the most refined cultures on the horde right now.

With all the lore with zealots of loa, punishing and purging heathen, pretty much like the scarlet crusade, they fit paladins more than belves and taurens together.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2018-02-12 at 03:31 PM.

It is in this case.
    A paladin class has long since gone beyond what was established in WC3. Lore advanced beyond that, which is why you have Tauren paladins, even though they're basically native americans and have nothing to do with christianity.
    Last edited by Jshadowhunter; 2018-02-12 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneOstrich View Post
    Except that most RPG's that have paladins have no notion of Christianty. Maybe something similar, but that's the point. Similar.
    And wow does not follow all RPG cliche's perse, and ever since BELF and Draenei pallies where added have expanded the archetype of what paladins are. Sunwalkers expand it even further.
    RPG's may not have Christianity as such, but paladins are generally positioned similarly in morality (eg. D&D's restriction to Lawful Good). Blood Elf paladins really come from the same background as humans and dwarves; their stint as Blood Knights was a plot element and they have since moved back to their old Light-based ways. (Which I find sad, I liked having unique spells.) Draenei are the same as humans, only more so.

Sunwalkers... now they're an outlier. They're different. But they may be even better suited to being paladins than humans or dwarves, seeing that they are more friendly and peaceful. They are also fundamentally benevolent. They should have gotten their own spells, like Blood Elves used to, but Blizzard was already in the pruning phase by then.

I see the Zandalari as too vicious to be Paladins. Again, Blizzard will obviously not define a different class for them. I personally would settle for different spells (even if they do the same).

5+ Year Old Account
    RPG's may not have Christianity as such, but paladins are generally positioned similarly in morality (eg. D&D's restriction to Lawful Good). Blood Elf paladins really come from the same background as humans and dwarves; their stint as Blood Knights was a plot element and they have since moved back to their old Light-based ways. (Which I find sad, I liked having unique spells.) Draenei are the same as humans, only more so.

Sunwalkers... now they're an outlier. They're different. But they may be even better suited to being paladins than humans or dwarves, seeing that they are more friendly and peaceful. They are also fundamentally benevolent. They should have gotten their own spells, like Blood Elves used to, but Blizzard was already in the pruning phase by then.

I see the Zandalari as too vicious to be Paladins. Again, Blizzard will obviously not define a different class for them. I personally would settle for different spells (even if they do the same).
    The Scarlet Crusade was made up of Paladins and Priests who murdered and tortured their way across Lordaeron and into Northrend. While serving a Nathrezim.

Arthas tore through Stratholme and slaughtered countless innocents in his zeal to get the few who were undead or infected with plague-grain.

The Blood Knights captured a Naaru and stole it's power while lightly torturing it for a couple of years.

"Vicious" doesn't really mean anything for WoW Paladins. Paladins are not by nature "Lawful Good" and don't lose their abilities if they stray from that alignment.
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

Zandalari arent savages at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Scarlet crusaders? How do they fit in?
    What defines paladins is the "lawful" affix in my opinion. I see them as be lawful evil (scarlet crusade) or lawful good (silver hand) and everything in between (other races).

Quote Originally Posted by Rezark View Post
    I don't normally get all butt-hurt about the class combinations they do or do not pursue.

This one however was a real kick in the nuts and considering that Zandalari have had paladins in their lore for so long doubles down on that kick.
    Dude, just stop. This is bollocks and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasaru View Post
    Dude, just stop. This is bollocks and you know it.
    No, it's not
    http://www.wowhead.com/npc=69927/zan...late#abilities
    I miss Mists of Pandaria