Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Horde Gorgrond Orc Map = Alpha Gorgrond Map? *Potential Spoilers*

So as we know, Draenor Orcs are coming as an allied race in one form or another. MMO recently put up a data mined mini map for "Gorgrond Orcs", showing a minimap map of Gorgrond. Have a look:
    Gorgrond Orcs

However I'm sure you'll notice a number of differences, and not just some minor tweaks, we're talking major geographical changes to what we saw in WoD. I couldn't find a minimap map of WoD Gorgrond, but the major changes are apparent from just the zone map alone:
    WoD Gorgrond

A user called Elfinoria was kind enough to post this comparison gif in the comments of the post. It doesnt include the railway for some reason though, and The Iron Docks are a dirt cut out:

Anyone familiar with WoD's beta though will likely recognise some the changes to the map. It bares a close resemblance to the alpha/beta Gorgrond:
    Beta Gorgrond

The "Gorgrond Orc" map for BFA far closer resembles the beta version than the live version. The biggest difference being The Iron Docks are east of Blackrock Foundry, not north. Before anyone thinks this is just a mistake and Blizzard added the wrong map for this Allied Race / Scenario / whatever, you'll notice that there are not only minor changes from the beta map to the gorgrond orc map, but also additions. The islands off the north west and north east coast have been considerably expanded on. New tiny islands have risen south of The Iron Docks. And the lake north of The Iron Docks and the lake west of Blackrock Foundry are now land. So either Blizzard is expanding on the old beta Gorgrond, or this was a build of it that never saw the light of day and was added to the recent BFA build by mistake. A possibility, but doesn't seem likely.

The question is though, is this a retcon? Is it even WoD Draenor? Is this another alternate Draenor?
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by Captain Kennedy; 2018-02-10 at 05:07 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it's lacking water?

but yeah, new map is weird af

that looks like gorgrond from the alpha/beta of warlords

Deleted
    I get the feeling that the AU Draenor has caught up to us in terms of timeline. The plant guys have died off and the sea has eroded the coasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuen View Post
    I get the feeling that the AU Draenor has caught up to us in terms of timeline. The plant guys have died off and the sea has eroded the coasts.
    That could be a possibility, but The Iron Docks have moved yet are exactly the same layout in their new position. It would make more sense just to edit the live map.
    Last edited by Captain Kennedy; 2018-02-10 at 03:07 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    What if AU Draenor also have war between Iron Horde and Draenei/Rest?

Deleted
    That is not a new map, that's how Gorgrond originally looked in the WoD Alpha, before they changed it. Originally Gorgrond was supposed to be just the wasteland ruled by the Breakers while the jungle and the Botani were supposed to be based in Farahlon but then they changed it to be half wasteland and half jungle (probably when they decided to "cut" Farahlon)

I'm really confused... WoD played in a different alternative universe, no? Is there still a connection to that universe via portal in the current Legion canon? Is this new map basically in the same alternative Draenor where our characters leveled or is this another universe? It's certainly not Outland, or is it?

I haven't played WoD fully while it was live, what happened to the races on Draenor (alternate WoD version) after the last raid/story step?

Quote Originally Posted by tibblaye View Post
    that looks like gorgrond from the alpha/beta of warlords
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo69SaeHt2o

Exactly

I'm guessing this might be our universes Draenor/Gorgrond before the big boom-boom, hence the differences between AU version.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroGangster View Post
    That is not a new map, that's how Gorgrond originally looked in the WoD Alpha, before they changed it. Originally Gorgrond was supposed to be just the wasteland ruled by the Breakers while the jungle and the Botani were supposed to be based in Farahlon but then they changed it to be half wasteland and half jungle (probably when they decided to "cut" Farahlon)
    I know... that was one of the big points I made in my op. The question is why and can’t what does it mean?

Watch, it's another timeline. We can call it Draenor-3

Quote Originally Posted by Deldramar View Post
    It appears to have geographic changes created by the Iron Horde though.
    But, the AU version had more changes to the geography because of how over-advanced the Iron Horde was. There's less done to that version in BfA, so it begs the question...

10+ Year Old Account
    isnt that the map from alpha wod? i remember the train tracks in the zone
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    isnt that the map from alpha wod?
    Currect! It had more railways and Iron Docks was located there.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is the gorgrond of the alpha. You can even see where farahlon is in the northern most tip of the map as a blank spaced land mass.

As to why they are even using this version, I wonder even why. No point if it's our outland, as gorgrond is gone, and if it's au draenor then the landmarks are in different locations.

Maybe they are making a new landmass? Called farahlon with that as a template? Doubt it. They might use this though, as it's a far better designed version of wod with the train tracks going through the zone and into the next

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Perhaps the Iron Horde has expanded and rebuilt their Gorgrond infrastructure. Since the alpha map was dominated by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuen View Post
    That doesn't explain sudden change in Iron Docks location.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deldramar View Post
    It appears to have geographic changes created by the Iron Horde though.
    They could just be using the whole thing but keeping the playable area outside of the Iron Horde bits

Deleted
    A noticeable difference is also, that the Primals are missing. So maybe the Iron Horde defeated them and the Breakers. Or they allied with the Breakers and pushed the Primals out, who knows.

With this, the new Primal base of operation could be Farahlon, if they want to use that map too.