Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Coming from the same people that would usually bash these things as hand-outs, Americans are amusing.
    The mainline conservative position is enthusiasm for charity, but being against compulsory redistribution. The position they hold is that private charity does a better job allocating resources and that people are better off when they depend upon each other than a faceless bureaucracy.

I don't agree with them, but this position isn't inconsistent at all with being proud of charitable contributions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    We can also say, America attacked most countries in last 200 years than any other, killed milions, made trillions dollars in damage and in return made trillions in profit?
    Well, we can say that if we're unfathomably ignorant and just ignore the existence of the Axis powers and other conquest-minded nations, but presumably no one's quite that ignorant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Now let's change the numbers to be more in proportion to a country's GDP, for example, to see who's truly generous...

It's like Americans bragging they got the most medals when they had almost 700 members in the Olympics.
    The numbers were already as a percentage of GDP. This post looks pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Does this include donations that conveniently dodge taxes?
    You realize that charity is deductible for the explicit purpose of encouraging it, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    That might be true if taxes went to the absolute poor. A billionaire like Bill Gates does much more for the absolute poor in the third world through his charitable donations than his taxes which go to the relative poor in the U.S. who already live better than the vast majority of the rest of the world. (The vast majority of taxpayer does not go to help the poor. Much more of it goes to groups like the elderly).
    Fucking old people getting money to heat their homes and healthcare so they don't die. Why don't they just die?

I'd like to see what they count as charity before I start cheering. This seems awfully vague.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Fucking old people getting money to heat their homes and healthcare so they don't die. Why don't they just die?
    Straw man.

American Christian conservatives are very generous people. No surprises here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Straw man.
    why are the elderly undeserving of government support?

why are the elderly undeserving of government support?
    They might be deserving but Medicare and Social Security inevitably fail almost any cost-benefit calculation because they are not means-tested.

10+ Year Old Account
    They might be deserving but Medicare and Social Security inevitably fail almost any cost-benefit calculation because they are not means-tested.
    If they were means tested support for them would collapse. Means Testing also is never accurate. For example in the UK the government just announce that free school meals are being taken away from anyone earning more than £7400 a year. That's for a whole family, completely asinine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    We have a lot of money and we're still religious is my guess as to why

Hell, Bill Gates gives more money away than many countries.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6849221.html

America has been named as the world’s most generous nation in the world, where its citizens give the most to charity, according to a new report.

The USA, New Zealand and Canada have the highest rate of charitable donations as a percentage gross domestic product (GDP), the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) found.

The UK had the fourth highest rate of charitable donations in a study of 24 nations and topped all other EU countries that were looked at.

CAF’s report took data from countries accounting for around 75 per cent of global GDP and 53 per cent of the world population.

Charitable giving by individuals as a percentage of GDP in America was recorded at 1.44%, in New Zealand at 0.79%, in Canada at .77% and in the UK – which came fourth globally – at 0.54%.

The report also analysed the impact of taxation and government spending and the amount given to charity and found there was "no significant correlation" except for employer social security charges, highlighting the complexity behind people’s decisions of when to give and how much.

Adam Pickering, international policy manager at CAF, said: "Across the 24 nations we studied, we found no significant link between government spending, income or corporation tax and the proportion of GDP donated by individuals.

"This suggests the relationship between the amount of taxes people pay and the amount they give to charity is not as clear cut as some may have thought.

“The factors which motivate people to give, and influence how much they give, are incredibly complex."
    The rest of us pay taxes.

If they were means tested support for them would collapse. Means Testing also is never accurate. For example in the UK the government just announce that free school meals are being taken away from anyone earning more than £7400 a year. That's for a whole family, completely asinine.
    I don't think that would be a bad thing but I understand why a supporter of the welfare state would. These programs are an expensive, ticking time bomb anyway.

Universal programs don't make logical sense. Taxing everyone to support everyone is folly and I would say most means-tested programs are already overly generous when families on programs like TANF and WIC often earn more than full time employment could offer.

People are bending over backwards to bash the US. I guess feelings do trump facts.

Deleted
    Aren't ur donations scams, really an excuse to pay less taxes so u in fact save money?..

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well, we can say that if we're unfathomably ignorant and just ignore the existence of the Axis powers and other conquest-minded nations, but presumably no one's quite that ignorant.
    Yeah Libya few times, Somalia, Vietnam, Gulf War ( look at me i need oil and gold ), Haiti, Invasion of Grenada, Panama, Serbia, Afghanistan, Iraq ( few times ), Syria.... All those conquest minded nations... Welcome to the CNN brain washing at its best....

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Does that really matter though? At least this way it ends up with the right cause and doesnt disappear in a black hole that is the government.
    Do you like roads?
    Do you like non-poisoned food?
    Do you like Police and Fire departments?

Yeah - it's not a "Black Hole" and you damn well know that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I'd like to see what they count as charity before I start cheering. This seems awfully vague.
    This is something I'd like to know as well.

Yeah Libya few times, Somalia, Vietnam, Gulf War ( look at me i need oil and gold ), Haiti, Invasion of Grenada, Panama, Serbia, Afghanistan, Iraq ( few times ), Syria.... All those conquest minded nations... Welcome to the CNN brain washing at its best....
    Your claim was the United States attacked the most countries in the last 200 years. That position is so idiotic that it's hard to express.

Your claim was the United States attacked the most countries in the last 200 years. That position is so idiotic that it's hard to express.
    Tell since 1776 how many years America didnt spend in war with some country?

https://www.infowars.com/america-has...rs-since-1776/

But someone who thinks it patriotic duty to invade some country 99% of Americans cant find on the map i don't expect more.
    Last edited by markos82; 2018-02-11 at 06:28 PM.

Tell since 1776 how many years America didnt spend in war with some country?

https://www.infowars.com/america-has...rs-since-1776/
    That's being wrong on the object-level, moving the goalposts, and linking Infowars all in one posts. Three strikes.

Deleted
    And yet, people die in that country because they cannot afford their medicine.

That's being wrong on the object-level, moving the goalposts, and linking Infowars all in one posts. Three strikes.
    You said conquest wars, whats wrong in saying that entire todays North America was obtained by conquest, murder of millions of natives, slave labor and so on?

If Germany waged conquest wars in the last century, Britain, Spain, Portugal, France .... before that So did the USA. Or do you really think Afghanistan, Somalia, Vietnam, Libya, Serbia, Iraq, Iran and so on had some conquest in mind when they were attacked?