Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you believe In the term Grown Up?/Adult

I barely even believe In that as this term has been commonly used when as a child I often accused those people depending on what they do wrong, and the answer always ended up with a they are grown/I'm grown.

- - - Updated - - -

Or often when I question the actions of someone The defense Is that they are grown, which oddly means anything to me

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I'm nearly 50 years old...and I don't feel grown up at all...quite the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TayFarr View Post
    I barely even believe In that as this term has been commonly used when as a child I often accused those people depending on what they do wrong, and the answer always ended up with a they are grown/I'm grown.

- - - Updated - - -

Or often when I question the actions of someone The defense Is that they are grown, which oddly means anything to me
    It can be missused as any other word sure.

But generally im going to side with the "grown ups" here they are more knowlegeable
    Life experience > you.
    When they use this "defence" it simply means they do not want to discuss the matter with you as it serves no point to continue the discussion.
    (Either you are not able to grasp the situation/ details about the situation/ the consequences it would have or you simply refuse to understand them).

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    the funny part of being a grown up adult is this. You can talk to you are blue in the face to teenagers...it just goes through one ear and out the other. It's very frustrating to say the least.

I always get a kick out of things when I tell them their 20's will go by in a blink of an eye...then its my talk abour your 30's.
    Last edited by Jayburner; 2018-02-13 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    It can be missused as any other word sure.

But generally im going to side with the "grown ups" here they are more knowlegeable
    Life experience > you.
    When they use this "defence" it simply means they do not want to discuss the matter with you as it serves no point to continue the discussion.
    Life experience matters, but that's not a substitute for critical thinking.

(Either you are not able to grasp the situation/ details about the situation/ the consequences it would have or you simply refuse to understand them).
    You're missing an obvious alternative which occurs more often than "grown ups" like to admit: that they are the ones who don't understand and they're just trying to run from that hard reality.

Is this always the case? Clearly not. But Grown ups who invoke life experience are not always right, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

There is the "man child", someone who stays drunk and high as much as possible, ignoring the manly things that make boys men, like loving a wife and raising a family.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Life experience matters, but that's not a substitute for critical thinking.

You're missing an obvious alternative which occurs more often than "grown ups" like to admit: that they are the ones who don't understand and they're just trying to run from that hard reality.

Is this always the case? Clearly not. But Grown ups who invoke life experience are not always right, either.
    But generally im going to side with the "grown ups" here

I know my english may not be perfect but you can atleast try to Read it.

some say you are not grown up until you have massive debt, twice divorced with a current wife that hates you and working 60 hour week with 4 kids at home.

Deleted
    when you join the army for 2 years, have to work your ass off at university and then try to get a job to pay the damn bills, you realise life is not the dragons and dolls you play on your computer all day...

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    There is the "man child", someone who stays drunk and high as much as possible, ignoring the manly things that make boys men, like loving a wife and raising a family.
    We don't choose to grow up. It happens to everybody. Some deal with it better than others. Boys will always be boys in the end.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    But generally im going to side with the "grown ups" here

I know my english may not be perfect but you can atleast try to Read it.
    I did read it. But it wasn't exactly clear whether the scope of that qualifier was limited to that sentence or to everything that followed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Regretfully, I'm definitely "grown up" in that I'm not going to get any taller. But at 32 years old, both my wife and I would more accurately describe myself as an adult-sized child. I still handle "grown up" responsibilities, but I prefer the alternative.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Yes, I believe those terms exist. Evidence of that is in the dictionary. I believe you are looking for the term maturity. I myself do not act as you would expect someone who is my age. I also don't look my age so it fits nicely.

The terms are a part of most if not all languages, not subjective.

What they stand for, who uses them and to what ends however, varies greatly between cultures and even families.

Hmf...children can hold grudges. Adults can't. (at least that's how maturity plays out. "Growing pains" hurts.)
    I believe it's all about how we make decisions.

Yep, some folks haven’t grasped the responsibility and consequences of how one acts and is supposed to act as an adult.

Sounds like the word you're looking for is mature.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole "Be a grown up/adult" is 100% perceptive. Each person has their own perception of what it is to be an adult and it'll never 100% line up with another persons views.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

I think it's entirely possible to combine the good parts of being childish with the good parts of adulthood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

absolutely.

everyone no matter the age has a level of immaturity but being "grown up" means having the sense to make safe decisions for ones or ones family's own self preservation.

that kind of knowledge doesnt usually come around until the age of 24,25,26. you know, after the world has beaten you down a bit
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...