5+ Year Old Account

Question Having a WoW identity crisis

I would like to start off by saying I don't want to hear 'just quit the game' or 'maybe this game isn't for you' kind of replies. I love playing this game and I don't feel like quitting. I just have one issue: I can't decide on what role to play.

Having gotten to max level on every role (dps, healer, tank), and so far I can't decide on what to stick too. Initially I was a mage dps, but I didn't find that fun and I felt like the dps market was saturated. Healing was fun at first, but I couldn't get into it that much and sometimes I struggled to keep up. In Overwatch, I am a tank main, and I play pretty much all the tanks in that game, so tanking in WoW seems to make sense for me. I found tanking to be very enjoyable, leveling up and at max level, but my problem has been learning mechanics and positioning which I feel way behind in as a didn't come to Legion until late in the expansion. When I want streamers like Preach and Towel tank m+ it looks really easy, but doing it firsthand is much harder.

Because of this, I am struggling to figure out what to do. I have considered DPS again, but I don't like the constant stress of potentially losing damage in a fight. My biggest gripe with healing is that I feel like I can't control the flow of the run and it feels like every other healer just heal snipes me anyways.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NomCarver View Post
    I would like to start off by saying I don't want to hear 'just quit the game' or 'maybe this game isn't for you' kind of replies. I love playing this game and I don't feel like quitting. I just have one issue: I can't decide on what role to play.

Having gotten to max level on every role (dps, healer, tank), and so far I can't decide on what to stick too. Initially I was a mage dps, but I didn't find that fun and I felt like the dps market was saturated. Healing was fun at first, but I couldn't get into it that much and sometimes I struggled to keep up. In Overwatch, I am a tank main, and I play pretty much all the tanks in that game, so tanking in WoW seems to make sense for me. I found tanking to be very enjoyable, leveling up and at max level, but my problem has been learning mechanics and positioning which I feel way behind in as a didn't come to Legion until late in the expansion. When I want streamers like Preach and Towel tank m+ it looks really easy, but doing it firsthand is much harder.

Because of this, I am struggling to figure out what to do. I have considered DPS again, but I don't like the constant stress of potentially losing damage in a fight. My biggest gripe with healing is that I feel like I can't control the flow of the run and it feels like every other healer just heal snipes me anyways.
    well just cuz u find tanking difficult doesnt meant u should not do it ;P

Deleted
    Pick one, practice and improve. No one started as an expert.

5+ Year Old Account
    I, too, am in the same boat. I'd suggest picking out the class you enjoy the most, and focusing on the spec/role that you are most comfortable with within the class.
    Be loyal to what matters - Arthur Morgan

NX Friend Code: SW-0102-0077-4738

Well lets see : You want to tank but you dont know how to position . You want to dps but u dont want to stress to maximize your dps . You want to heal but u cant manage to do it properly

The answer seems to be simple :

Quote Originally Posted by NomCarver View Post
    When I want streamers like Preach and Towel tank m+ it looks really easy, but doing it firsthand is much harder.
    They've had years of experience. You'll notice the difference in tank skill when you heal. The ones that know when to use cooldowns, or even escape from melee range so that the healer can get them back up. The only way of learning this is from doing. Just start with low level Mythic +. Get better gear, best in slot legendaries and good luck from there.

At least with a tank, you can always fall back on a dps offspec.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

I would be interested to know which classes you chose. Demon Hunter tanking, for example, can be hectic, but overall fairly easy. Where as warrior tanking has a true flow to it, but more panic inducing health drops if you slip up.

The same can be said for the healers as well.

Deleted
    Maybe try out pvp?

At first I came here to say no one should be telling you to quit the game - you enjoy it - just trying to find your fav/best role. Then I read your post.
    Sounds like you just need to play on a lower difficulty. If you are raiding heroic - go normal. If you are raiding normal, stick to lfr. It's going to be hard for people to make suggestions for you if "the game is too hard". Just lower the difficulty.

When every class feels the same and you dislike a class, you end up disliking every class..

Another reason why homogenizing classes is a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlmygod View Post
    Maybe try out pvp?
    This actually helped me out a lot on my demon hunter. I had to pay attention to skill interactions because I couldn't rely on a healer. Once applied to PvE, I noticed a serious reduction in health drops and my rando runs got a ton smoother.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LoLcano View Post
    Well lets see : You want to tank but you dont know how to position . You want to dps but u dont want to stress to maximize your dps . You want to heal but u cant manage to do it properly

The answer seems to be simple :

Thats the point, I am trying too.

Deleted
    You answered yourself.

Stick to what you enjoy: tanking. If you play it more, you will get better. Play with some friends/guildies as they won't give you crap and may help out with hints.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    When every class feels the same and you dislike a class, you end up disliking every class..

Another reason why homogenizing classes is a bad idea.
    That is an exageration. That has never been close to happening.

Though i admit the exception was when they gave blink to druids. What were they thinking?!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    You answered yourself.

Stick to what you enjoy: tanking. If you play it more, you will get better. Play with some friends/guildies as they won't give you crap and may help out with hints.
    This. Look for people who don't just trash you for not playing perfect at first, start in "easier" content like nhc raid and low m+, you'll get more confident eventually.

I know exactly how you feel, I have the same problem.

I think you should watch the video series from Preach about the tanking basics. I myself learned a lot from his videos about showing confidence and positioning, positioning is easy when you get used to pickup a pack of mobs and run trough the pack so they all face away from your group, when i run my alts in m+ i don't see this very often.

The classes I enjoyed the most for tanking is Guardian and Brewmaster, this is due to Swipe and rushing jade winds, you always have some way of doing aoe without using resources and no cooldown, that's the part i hate from tanking as a warrior even though i enjoy the rest.

The few things I'm having problems with is knowing when damage is magic or melee, but I found out I could edit the scrolling battle text to show different colors for each type of damage.

Other than that it's just a matter of running through dungeons and getting used to them and maybe find a few you farm again and again to learn the mechanics. Personally i LOVE BRH, especially the path just before the long stair. In mythics i always aggro the entire room, run back and LOS them and then just watch the dps meters go crazy.

Last but not least, don't be afraid of making mistakes

I wish I could use my knowledge of playing this game and show (IRL) some people that struggle with it how to become better faster/quicker. A friend of mine who started WoW in mid 2017 is already parsing 90+ logs in heroic raids at a constant rate because of mentoring him. It took me like 2 years on my own without guides and help to become "good" aka mythic raider quality. With a mentor IRL you can cut down the time significantly down to 6 months or less if you focus on it heavily.

I know there are online guides, but having someone behind your back that corrects issues on the fly is a lot better than reading a guide and memorizing the tips.
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2018-02-19 at 12:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    These types of threads unfortunately and rarely produce the desired output. Please check online resources concerning tanking or DPS'ing, or the class-specific subforums if you have further questions. Closing this.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead