10+ Year Old Account

AI, Time, and Perception

So I've got way too much time on my hands, and had a random thought come up when watching Futurama. One of the earlier episodes where bender is commenting on how good each nano-second is compared to the last, it made me start wondering... Will AI perceive time in the same way that we do? Will it pass faster or slower?

I personally think that time would appear to be slower to an AI, especially if said intelligence has access to other AI entities while simultaneously interacting with us. I feel like this could eventually be one of the hardest things for us to overcome with a truly advanced AI that's capable of free will and possibly even emotion, as they could begin to feel impatient with us, much like how we feel when interacting with current technology and have to wait on our computers to catch up with us.

Do you think that it will be an issue? Or that it will potentially cause segregation between humans and the AI who would prefer the near instantaneous communication they get with other AI?

(Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, btw. It's simply a random thing I thought of that I'd actually like to see other people's thoughts on as well.)

That depends on the specifics of said AI's sentience. If the AI could think like us and have thoughts in every moment (assuming it's "thoughts" were tied to how fast the AI program could update), then yes, it could perceive us as acting incredibly slowly. On the other hand, it could turn out that it would only really think when engaged with something, and might be in a wait mode until a human speaks their next word or performs their next action, so it wouldn't become impatient.