I need some help to build a PC for software development

Hello guys,

2 years ago, I built my own computer thanks to your help! I want to build a new business computer that is going to be used mostly for UI/UX design, coding and some back-end development. Basically, mostly software development stuff. I really need everything to run smooth and not freeze at all.

P.S. I can game from time to time, but not a big thing at all.

Thank you!

Budget? Around 2000$
    Resolution? Something around 1080 + should be fine
    Games / Settings Desired? Gaming is not going to be the main thing for me for this computer.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)? Photoshop and some rendering could be used. Maybe some video editing?
    Country? Turkey -I can buy stuff form USA though.
    Parts that can be reused? Completely new.
    Do you need an OS? Windows 10
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? I need a monitor, but already have the other stuff

Deleted
    Please will you learn about ECC and ECC types. It's not possible to advise you unless you determine whether you need and can maintain an ECC system.

UI/UX, as in what technologies? Angular? CSS/HTML? That is not very intensive whatsoever, the only real thing you'd need with that is just a decent amount of memory, 16-32gig of DDR4 would be sufficient. As this will also help with compiling any back end functions you are working on as well.

Most developers do not develop front end stuff on just a 1080 monitor, they want pixel real estate for multiple windows, why limit yourself there? If you want to go discrete, grab a GTX 1050 ti, as that will support 4k resolution for simple front end development tasks.

Video encoding is more of a CPU task, so I'd look into multi core and multi thread. If you want to stay consumer based, get the Intel i7 8700 or 8700k. If you want to go enterprise level, go with the Xeon chipsets, or go for an X299 build, although with consumer coffee lake out now, I'd just go with a 6c/12t build.

What you are describing, what you need, does not sound really intensive, other than memory for compiling.

I have front end developers who work for me, doing everything they need with i7 macbooks, and 16gig of ddr3, with discrete amd gpu's.

I'd seriously rethink the 1080p component though.

Deleted
    UI/UX design, coding, back end - that is very very vague. Personally for development I would go with either last gen Intel i7 or Ryzen, possibly Threadripper. But in my case I do quite a lot of heavy compiling and do utilize virtual machines so it would be beneficial for me. I also would go for at least 16gigs of ram. As for display I would actually go for 1080-1440p dual or tipple setup instead of one big screen. It's easier for me to manage work with multiples screens rather than one big. That being said, the primary screen should be rather high resolution - possibly at cost of the side screens. I do no graphics or video editing work so I have little knowledge as to what would be required. This is what I would do for myself, but I know MY requirements, yours only you truthfully know what they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Software development? If you have to ask you probably don't need much. Coding isn't the most demanding thing on a system.

Video encoding and rendering? Yeah probably a CPU with lots of cores and hyperthreading.

If gaming is not the main thing an up-to-date CPU with integrated graphics will get you by.
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2018-02-20 at 05:51 AM.

Deleted
    You seriously should reconsider the 1080p monitor - when coding (especially UI) you'd really want a lot of screen real estate, so either an ultra-wide display or 2 or even 3 monitors - I prefer 16:10 over the claustrophobic 16:9 ones, but they are hard to find.
    Don't skimp on the quality either - you won't notice 200 extra Mhz on the CPU but you'll be staring at the monitors all day long.

If you want to test your code in different environments you'd also be looking at virtualization i.e. hyper-v if you want to make use of docker on windows and a good amount of RAM (16GB). SSDs speed things up nicely as well.

Not sure if Photoshop still runs better on Intel CPUs, so maybe research that, otherwise go for AMD for more cores.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2018-02-20 at 11:28 AM.

There are different types of software development, with varying demands on computing power.

Large enterprise applications might require a lot of CPU power for compiling. Small web applications could be run on a toaster.

Edit: Even mid-sized applications could run on a toaster
    Last edited by Thermor; 2018-02-20 at 11:33 AM.

If you want to test your code in different environments you'd also be looking at virtualization i.e. hyper-v if you want to make use of docker on windows and a good amount of RAM (16GB). SSDs speed things up nicely as well.

Infracted
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2021-02-02 at 02:55 PM.

Are you doing local compiles or cloud? If cloud, just get a potato with a video out that can support 4k, which is any current generation with built in GPU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thermor View Post
    There are different types of software development, with varying demands on computing power.

Large enterprise applications might require a lot of CPU power for compiling. Small web applications could be run on a toaster.

Edit: Even mid-sized applications could run on a toaster
    Most modern organizations building enterprise apps are usually building within a cloud environment.

2 1/2 year necro. What is UP with the massive piles of Necro threads lately?