Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    No. Owning a house is like renting a property without any of the benefits. You have to do all of the repairs and maintenance yourself, and at the end of the day you still don't actually own your house.
    Something tells me you dont know how mortgage works? When you sell a house, you pay the remaining mortgage and keep the rest. Appartement you keep exactly 0. If you need to make repairs, you add it to the mortgage. Houses prices are always increasing unless you let your home go into ruin. So if you got a 300k mortgage, paid it full in 10 years and sell it for 500k a decade later, do the math.

Every single day you pay for rent in an appartment, its cash you throw away in the nether you will never see again. A house its money youll keep around until your next house and the next and the next,
    Last edited by minteK917; 2018-02-16 at 05:37 PM.

Already have.
    I own one of our houses alone and we bought or rather built the summer house together.

Generally, it makes sense to own if you can afford it and you really have to outdo yourself to lose money on property.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    FHA is a mortgage type, and closing costs are typically things like escrow fees, lender fees, inspection fees, and other things of that nature. That being said, FHA is an American program, and if you're using USD conversion for that housing price you're in an insanely bubbled area that's an exception, not the rule, for American housing right now (no idea what Swedish market is like)

I'd also note that in America a $500 apartment is a one bedroom studio because lolrent in most states.
    Swedish market is pretty bad unless it's rural areas, I live in Karlskrona.

$500 gives me a two-room apartment here @ 63 sqm.

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    Swedish market is pretty bad unless it's rural areas, I live in Karlskrona.

$500 gives me a two-room apartment here @ 63 sqm.
    Yeah, anywhere I've looked (Texas and CA) a 2bd runs you $1k+. Minimum. And that's in a sketchy part of town, with a tiny kitchen and living room combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Yeah, anywhere I've looked (Texas and CA) a 2bd runs you $1k+. Minimum. And that's in a sketchy part of town, with a tiny kitchen and living room combo.
    Huh, my kitchen is pretty tiny but the living room is pretty big. That seems crazy expensive.

List over houses here by lowest price first, https://www.hemnet.se/bostader?item_...rice&order=asc The most expensive one is almost 4.5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    Huh, my kitchen is pretty tiny but the living room is pretty big. That seems crazy expensive.

List over houses here by lowest price first, https://www.hemnet.se/bostader?item_...rice&order=asc The most expensive one is almost 4.5 million.
    Yeah, this is (one of) the market i'm working in:

https://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Rock.../price;a_sort/

So you can see why here it's a LOT better to buy than to sent, especially if you're getting a 2-3bd apartment

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Owning a house is like renting a property without any of the benefits. You have to do all of the repairs and maintenance yourself, and at the end of the day you still don't actually own your house.
    That's kind of a narrow view. Owning your own house means it's yours, you can do what you want with it. Want pets? Go for it. Want to smoke indoors? Sure. Want to build an extension? Get some planning permission and that's fine. Wanna hang your TV on the wall? Yup. The list goes on, either you haven't wanted to do anything like this, haven't bothered telling your landlord or just have the best landlord in the world, unfortunately, not everyone is that lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    That's kind of a narrow view. Owning your own house means it's yours, you can do what you want with it. Want pets? Go for it. Want to smoke indoors? Sure. Want to build an extension? Get some planning permission and that's fine. Wanna hang your TV on the wall? Yup. The list goes on, either you haven't wanted to do anything like this, haven't bothered telling your landlord or just have the best landlord in the world, unfortunately, not everyone is that lucky.
    While you can smoke indoors if you own the place, id still class that as a bad idea. Smoke sets into the walls and ceilings of the place over time and you're creating a renovation project for yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    While you can smoke indoors if you own the place, id still class that as a bad idea. Smoke sets into the walls and ceilings of the place over time and you're creating a renovation project for yourself.
    I completely agree, I gave up smoking years ago but my point was, if it's your own house, you don't need to permission to anything bar a few things that can affect your neighbours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

What? Owning is way better than renting. Sure, you have expenses such as maintenance, but you are also building equity every payment.

My wife and I are currently looking for a place to buy. As of right now, we can probably find a bigger house, in roughly the same area (possibly a couple towns over), and pay the same or less than what we pay for rent now, and that includes property tax and PMI. That's with absolutely nothing down, and no FHA.

With FHA, and with a decent down payment (don't have it currently, but my mother is going to help out), we can get a LOT of house in a safe area with great schools for the same money, or we can get a more modest house and save a lot (more accurately, use the savings to pay down other debt like student loans).

Renting is fine short term, or if you have a landlord who agrees to cover indoor and outdoor routine maintenance as part of the lease, but long term, it doesn't make sense in most scenarios.

Now if you have like a 220 credit score and are looking at 20%+ interest rates on a mortgage, by all means, keep renting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

depends how its going with my partner... I lived with ex for a year or so, and it was hell

Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    Is it really that bad in the states?
    Here none of the things you listed requires you to go to your landlord first to get approval unless you're renting second hand and they would probably just laugh at you and wonder why you waste their time with silly questions if you came to them asking permission to keep pets or something, pretty much the only thing you can't do is start tearing down walls etc without permission.
    That said though it's pretty much always better to own than to rent.

I'm not sure I understand, are you talking about if you still have a mortgage to pay, or is this fancy landownership laws I've never heard of that mean strictly speaking you never own any property you "own"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I'm not sure I understand, are you talking about if you still have a mortgage to pay, or is this fancy landownership laws I've never heard of that mean strictly speaking you never own any property you "own"?
    I think he is talking that you still have to pay taxes on it, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Yeah me and my partner are buying soon and one of the things we will miss is smoking in doors :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Renting is house is paying off someone else's mortgage. After 10+ years when you move you have zero to show for it.
    That said if you buy a house over the years house repairs/new roofs/new furnaces/other maintenance stuff eats into whatever "equity" you may get back off at resale if you can resell it at all. Some areas selling houses is easy but in others not so much. After the housing bust I had multiple friends stuck owning a house they don't live in any more simply due to a job made them move elsewhere but were unable to actually sell their old house for enough to not lose money on the deal. It can be an asset but it is not guaranteed to be one.

7+ Year Old Account
    If the situation was right, I would buy a house with a partner. Having said that, I've never been married, have been in several long term relationships, but have never bought, or thought about buying, property with a partner.

I own a house free and clear with my ex-fiancee. We broke up and one of us forgot to move out.

Turns out communal living is kind of cool.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rent is just money down the drain, depending on your wage it is going to be much better to actually buy a house and pay it off.