Thinking about coming back to WoW - new races/expansion

All-

I am in need of a bit of advice (and if this thread is in the wrong place, I apologize- please move it wherever).

I haven't played WoW in a very long time, and am thinking about rejoining the game. I've seen that the new expansion offers access to an entirely new set of races, and that would be my main motivating factor. It is my understanding that I need to complete a very long questline and reputation grind to get access to those races though. I'd be interested in playing each of the two elf races for Alliance and Horde as well as the new troll race (Zandarlian?).

I need to get a character to 110 to start the quests - that I understand. How long would it take me to open up the new races from the time I finish a new 110 level character? Would i need to get separate 110 characters for both Alliance and Horde, or can I just do an opening questline kind of thing on one character only? Am I looking at weeks and weeks of doing content before I can start the new race characters I am interested in? (if so, how many - my time is kinda limited and I honestly don't want to run out of steam).

I am sure there are answers to these questions somewhere, but I am having difficulty figuring out the truth through all the high emotion/vitriol out there. I also can't post on the regular battle.net forums to ask, as I am not currently subscribing. There also appear to have been updates to the game that have affected the rates at which experience/reputation are acquired, and I am not sure if guides and advice I am reading reflect that.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you could provide

You'll need separate lv110's for the Horde and Alliance allied races.
    The questlines themselves don't take very long.
    Rep grinding will certainly take longer than a week.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2018-02-16 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    Rep grinding will certainly take longer than a week.

Ugh - no way to speed that up? I remember last expansion you could purchase reputation tokens at the auction - is there an option to do that this time?

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Taikoen View Post
    Ugh - no way to speed that up? I remember last expansion you could purchase reputation tokens at the auction - is there an option to do that this time?
    Thanks for the reply
    I'm not sure, maybe someone else knows about it.

10+ Year Old Account

Thanks for the reply
    No buyable tokens as far as I know

There is some chance that the current reputation requirement to unlock the 4 currently available allied races will change after BfA (wouldn't bank on it though). There are also some new allied races that will unlock during BfA. If you buy the expansion you also get a free level 110 boost. I think grinding the 2 reps currently would take a few weeks minimum - though one is faster than the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    The rep grinds cannot be grinded out in one go, like some reputations before. Theres only a limited amount obtainable from the argus story, the rest, and majority, needs to be obtained from world quests (you can also get a bit from running the newest dungeon once a day). As there is only a limited amount of world quests every day, you cannot brute force this - there is a lot of waiting. They have increased the rate you obtain reputation though, so its not as slow as it was when the reputations first became available.

Some world quests also give two tokens which each increase your rep with 250 (so 500 from the world quest). These tokens are infact account bound, and so in theory you can complete the world quest on a ton of alts and become exalted much quicker. In your case, this is probably not viable as you're returning and wont have those alts. Just thought I'd mention it for you or anyone else reading.

Edit: Im talking about the two alliance races, because those are the ones that take the longest. Nightborne, as I understand it, doesn't require as much waiting but requires you to quest through a somewhat long story. Many say the story is great. Highmountain tauren also demands you get rep from world quests, but a bigger chunk comes from completing the story in highmountain.
    Last edited by Valette; 2018-02-16 at 11:34 PM.

You'll need a 110 to access the Void Elfs and a 110 to access the Nightbourne. Realistically, it will take a solid 2 1/2-3 months to grind the Rep on both factions. The Nightbourne will go significantly faster, but the Rep for the Void Elfs is a very very very very slow process and somewhat gated (can only do so much each day). I am not speculating here, I am speaking from personal experience. I achieved Nightbourne "exalted" rep prior to the release of pre-purchase. Didn't have the necessary achievement to unlock the Nightbourne and I got that in about 3-4 hours of game play.

Since I don't raid or do Mythics, I did not progress much into Argus. I started at Honored and after 2 weeks I am still 10k off Exalted. You simply can't grind it, there's only so much you can do each day. From what I understand you can get BOA rep tokens from the Order Hall quests, but to get that cog running you'll need to invest even more time. 21/2 - 3 months for both and that's on the low end.

Quote Originally Posted by irdsyd View Post
    There is some chance that the current reputation requirement to unlock the 4 currently available allied races will change after BfA (wouldn't bank on it though). There are also some new allied races that will unlock during BfA. If you buy the expansion you also get a free level 110 boost. I think grinding the 2 reps currently would take a few weeks minimum - though one is faster than the other.
    They’ll reduce the requirements after BFA hits. They need that race change $$$

Thanks for the reply
    Realistically, it doesnt take that long.

By buying Legion you get a level 100 character.

By buying BFA you get a level 110 character.

You can boost both factions and farm the rep in under 2 weeks, and they will probably reduce/change it in a few months either way, but for now it shouldnt take that long.

Mix of quests, world quests, daily missions, averagely 2 weeks i believe for exalted if not faster assuming you do the world quests.

The Zandalari/Dark iron seem to be coming later or with pre-patch of BFA.

Could just play an existing race to save yourself the time it takes to unlock. They don't take too long to unlock though depending on which ones you want to unlock. It would prob take you 2-3 weeks to do.

Do mythic+ Seat; you'll get 250 for each run.