Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How could a world government work, realistically?

Let's imagine a world government existed, the nations of the world ceded their power to the UN and established an Earth government. How exactly do you think it would have to function in terms of governmental systems and laws in order to maintain power?

10+ Year Old Account
    Two prime examples:

A legendary novel/OVA series "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" and

Spoiler: 

The Earth Federation (and the other iterations in the Gundam universe).

Long story made short; "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." -Lord Acton.

Unless someone can find a way to provide unlimited amount of resources, whether it being water, food or energy (mostly preferred to be, well, everything), then we'll forever be bound by our simple needs as a species and thus will lead to (hard fought) confrontations at times.
    Also because we're a barbaric species from the core.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only way I can think if working is "the United States of Earth."

Now, before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I'm not saying the US itself should take over the world. Each country, under this "UN Parliament" retains statehood. They send an MP or whatever to Parliament or Congress or whatever system we end up using to represent that country. Each country retains some autonomy on more local issues. Maybe even allow those countries to further subdivide as they see fit (like allowing the US to retain its own fifty states.) And like with the US, it would be republic/democracies all the way down, from the world government, to the country, to states in the country, to provinces in the states, etc.

That's not a very detailed outline, I know, but it's a very high level view of the only system I think would work.

But it won't work so long as individuals and groups maintain nationalistic ideals that are hostile towards cooperation or a world government (ex: ISIS)
    Putin khuliyo

Only if it was authoritarian and brutal, and even then, you'd still have little despotic rulers spread all over in various positions. In other words, not something we'd want. And functionally not all that different from having many different nations anyway.

It would just be another layer of authority, just like we have levels of city/county/regional (or state) government below national governments. I suspect there will be other layers between nations and the world government in a lot of cases.

Universal laws without exemption. You're a multi-billion dollar company? Oh great, there's no tax break based on where you build your next regional headquarters. It's the same rate everywhere.

Progressive laws. The rich benefit from the poor, so the rich should be taxed at a higher rate than the poor, not half the rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Confederation seems the most likely.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Let's imagine a world government existed, the nations of the world ceded their power to the UN and established an Earth government. How exactly do you think it would have to function in terms of governmental systems and laws in order to maintain power?
    Realistically it would work by splitting the world into smaller more manageable pieces, likes states and each have its own government. Let's call them Countries.
    Oh wait, we already have those
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    The only way I can think if working is "the United States of Earth."

Now, before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I'm not saying the US itself should take over the world. Each country, under this "UN Parliament" retains statehood. They send an MP or whatever to Parliament or Congress or whatever system we end up using to represent that country. Each country retains some autonomy on more local issues. Maybe even allow those countries to further subdivide as they see fit (like allowing the US to retain its own fifty states.) And like with the US, it would be republic/democracies all the way down, from the world government, to the country, to states in the country, to provinces in the states, etc.

That's not a very detailed outline, I know, but it's a very high level view of the only system I think would work.

But it won't work so long as individuals and groups maintain nationalistic ideals that are hostile towards cooperation or a world government (ex: ISIS)
    I agree - something akin to the United States of Earth - although obviously a different name. An elected government that has representatives from each nation, somehow balancing population vs equal representation. Something in general like the United States with two houses, etc. Obviously, that's not working too well - and if anyone brings up the EC you're going on life-time ignore.

In a world right now where some nations are doing well and others are dying off (i.e. genocide) a world government won't emerge. We would need to glide into a more extreme situation - either everyone doing well or the whole place going to hell. It doesn't feel like we're remotely close to something like that.

I would slowly demilitarize the individual nations, and instead have a fraction of those expenses given to the UN to provide peacekeeping jobs to anyone in the world.

Think of it as free trade for military... not only can you end wars more cheaply, but providing jobs and personal wealth to the neediest of populations helps reduce their likelihood in the first place.

Mind you, I wouldn't "force" any nation to demilitarize completely, but I think that would be the inevitable choice of nations if a reliable defensive force is formed.

10+ Year Old Account
    A functioning world government would only be a meta government that presides over issues that effect the entire planet.

So there might be an official "global police" force.

There would be trade and criminal laws that are universal.

There would be a set of basic human rights that are enforced globally.

International travel might be easier since all regions report to the same "overlord" government.

There would need to be incentives to move to certain regions. Move to the Western Sahara and get $70k a year + an XBOX

Regional laws, customs, trade deals would still exist where the government doesnt have a say.

I could go one, theres entire internet communities dedicated to this stuff.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    It couldn't. At best, you'd end up with a "council" of leaders who agree to run their respective countries/states within a limited set of standards. But sovereignty is and always will be a thing.

It would work like any other government, with a hierarchy underneath. Almost every government on the planet is part of a coalition and/or has multiple tiers down to the local level. A world government would be no different.

15+ Year Old Account
    We are not ready for a peaceful world government yet.

Obviously one government ruling the whole planet with an iron fist is a possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

religion would need to die out

10+ Year Old Account
    It's going to have to or humanity is going to end as we know it. The panet isn't as big there are too many people and resources have to be managed. Can it work, Yes, it's worked plenty of times the Babylonians the Romans, the Ottomans, The French, The British, and now the U.S proving diversity is our strength and we can overcome our differences. Whether we choose to is another question. Many will resist and it might take a long time but yes, I think it will work.

It's going to come at the sacrifice of those who choose not to, Nationalist for example.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    It would just be another layer of authority, just like we have levels of city/county/regional (or state) government below national governments. I suspect there will be other layers between nations and the world government in a lot of cases.
    Each layer will be sure to tax us accordingly, I'm sure. So it would be: sales, city, state, federal, regional, hemispherical, world? Everyone will be sure to get their piece!

I am sure there will be willing lemmings still calling for the world government though (cause just what the world needs is yet another government and who wouldn't want another "Big brother?")

Then they will wonder why they are broke....

With a massive shift in which the way people see society and governments. So basically never.

10+ Year Old Account
    It cant and wont happen. Simply because the larger a country becomes the more diverse it becomes and the harder it is to govern. As the difficulty of governance goes up, the need to move to more and more authoritarian measures to control the population are needed.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.