Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Hanging "shoot me first" signs on the teachers?
    They need to be concealed. So the shooter , without even that change, would shoot any teachers anyway. They would not know however, which teacher has one. But at least the teacher would have some type of protection besides using their bodies to shield students.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I was actually surprised to learn what the one school district in Ohio did is becoming more common. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.548b334b1280
    Can't afford chalk, books, or paying teachers enough, but apparently schools suddenly have the money for glocks.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    If my job performance was that bad, I certainly would not walk out, and risk being fired.

But the best solution possible, the Israeli method (conceal carry teachers), would NEVER be accepted by US teachers.

Also, if they put students ahead of their own wants and needs, that would be a first.
    Actually many teachers here have accepted it. Check out my link earlier. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.548b334b1280

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Can't afford chalk, books, or paying teachers enough, but apparently schools suddenly have the money for glocks.
    I am not sure how they handle the training and firearms. Since it is optional, the teachers themselves may pay for the conceal/carry license and training. Like I did when I got my carry conceal license as a non teacher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since it is optional, the teachers themselves may pay for the conceal/carry license and training. Like I did when I got my carry conceal license as a non teacher.
    Great. So new teachers in poorer schools who are living paycheck to paycheck can then get blamed by the right for not having a gun when the next shooting happens.

Hard pass. This will just turn into teachers bearing the responsibility for not stopping the next shooter. If this is going to be allowed every single penny of it should be paid for by the school system. If you think arming teachers is the answer then you shouldn't have an issue paying for it.

Actually lets pass a law that the NRA has to fund it. That's a win/win as teachers won't have to bear the brunt of it and the NRA will have less money to bribe politicians.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Great. So new teachers in poorer schools who are living paycheck to paycheck can then get blamed by the right for not having a gun when the next shooting happens.

Hard pass. This will just turn into teachers bearing the responsibility for not stopping the next shooter. If this is going to be allowed every single penny of it should be paid for by the school system. If you think arming teachers is the answer then you shouldn't have an issue paying for it.

Actually lets pass a law that the NRA has to fund it. That's a win/win as teachers won't have to bear the brunt of it and the NRA will have less money to bribe politicians.
    I personally find it objectionable when the government can demand a private individual own any particular private product and not offer a government supplied alternative.

That is to say: if the government requires teachers to carry, it damn well better be covering the costs of training and arming them. You don't see cops being required to buy their own guns. Also: if it is government-funded, the teachers don't get to take the guns home. Turn in your weapon as you leave, pick it up in the morning.

Or ya know, use some of those "smart guns" that require a RFID signal or something in close proximity, ie: the gun doesn't work off school premises.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Actually many teachers here have accepted it. Check out my link earlier. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.548b334b1280

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure how they handle the training and firearms. Since it is optional, the teachers themselves may pay for the conceal/carry license and training. Like I did when I got my carry conceal license as a non teacher.
    You will never convince the teachers unions though. I mean, I agree that it's the obvious solution. But it's never taken off before.

Deleted
    Almost all of the US agrees on stricter gun regulations, yet nothing is done because of gun manufacturers and the NRA buying politicians, so what's the real solution? Get rid of the NRA, and make paying politicians in any way or form punishable by prison sentences.

That will lead to stricter gun regulations.

If that doesn't help, then what? Force every single student in the US to have a monthly psych eval? Put a metal detector and armed guards at every single entrance and exit of every single school in the US? Put an armed guard in every single class room? Shoot dead every student who acts suspiciously, "just in case" they're a school shooter?

Who knows. Perhaps one might like to at least give getting rid of guns a try first.

I have a controversial idea: take money out of politics. Wow!

But the best solution possible, the Israeli method (conceal carry teachers), would NEVER be accepted by US teachers.
    1 - Doesn't Israel have relatively strict gun control laws?
    2 - Don't all Israeli teachers have military training since all citizens are drafted?
    3 - American cops are barely trustworthy with their guns, how would American teachers be any better?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    1 - Doesn't Israel have relatively strict gun control laws?
    2 - Don't all Israeli teachers have military training since all citizens are drafted?
    3 - American cops are barely trustworthy with their guns, how would American teachers be any better?
    1. I'm not actually sure how they compare. Their method is working, in the most extreme circumstance. That was my point.
    2. Yes. Isn't it a great idea?
    3. It's not hard to figure out what to do, when you have a gun, and someone is shooting theirs at you, or at others. They will figure it out. To quote a wise warrior, "When you look over, and what used to be your friend's face, is now a pile of goo, you will know what to do." - General Patton
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2018-02-17 at 09:41 PM.

Throw more guns at the problem? How about no?

3. It's not hard to figure out what to do, when you have a gun, and someone is shooting theirs at you, or at others. They will figure it out.
    Too bad this Rambo hero stuff only happens in movies.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Throw more guns at the problem? How about no?

Too bad this Rambo hero stuff only happens in movies.
    How is throwing less guns at the problem working out?

No, not only the movies. Shooters are stopped quite often by citizens. We literally JUST had that church shooting last year, where a citizen saved the day by having a firearm.

The rest of the civilized world says it's working fine.

Worked out pretty well in the UK and Australia.

No, not only the movies. Shooters are stopped quite often by citizens. We literally JUST had that church shooting last year, where a citizen saved the day by having a firearm.
    Where a citizen saved the day after 20+ people were murdered, was lucky he wasn't killed before he could react and the shooter in question shouldn't have been able to get the weapon in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Worked out pretty well in the UK and Australia.
    The murder rate only went down for ONE YEAR in Australia. Humans are smart. They will always find a way to murder, despite a law that says they aren't supposed to. Heck, the highest murder areas in the US, are where guns are allowed the least. /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    The rest of the civilized world says it's working fine.
    Nobody asked them, or cares. We are talking about Americans, after all. We don't care what you think.

The murder rate only went down for ONE YEAR in Australia. Humans are smart. They will always find a way to murder, despite a law that says they aren't supposed to. Heck, the highest murder areas in the US, are where guns are allowed the least. /shrug
    Australia doesn't have mass shootings now.

Gun control laws aren't effective unless the whole country is involved. People can just easily buy guns in another state with no background check or mental health screening or registration and then bring them back to their home state without any problem.

Nobody asked them, or cares. We are talking about Americans, after all. We don't care what you think.
    If the rest of the world does something better than us then maybe we should listen to them instead of shoving our fingers in our ears and screaming.

We don't care what you think.
    I know. But banging your head against the wall while ignoring advice because of some stubborn sense of nationalism does not make you the smarter person.

Seems to be working out very well in Japan as well

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Australia doesn't have mass shootings now.

Gun control laws aren't effective unless the whole country is involved. People can just easily buy guns in another state with no background check or mental health screening or registration and then bring them back to their home state without any problem.

If the rest of the world does something better than us then maybe we should listen to them instead of shoving our fingers in our ears and screaming.
    If you stop every mass shooting in the US, over 99% of all other murders will remain. If anything, ban the handgun, not the rifle. Obviously.

A mass shooting is really about the same as an average Chicago three day weekend.