Page 1 of 3
LastLast

non-compete agreements

Do you agree with non-compete employment agreements? I've signed my first one when I started my new job this past month because I needed the job. But I feel like non-compete agreements should not exist. It gives the employer far too much control over a subordinate.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Are you in radio or broadcasting. Outside of those I've never heard of them.
    I work in IT. I'm a network technician.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

7+ Year Old Account
    I've turned down a couple of jobs due to being asked to sign one. I'm a software engineer. Both times were when doing contract work.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2018-02-18 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    I've hard turned down a couple of jobs due to being asked to sign one. I'm a software engineer. Both times were when doing contract work.
    Same here, I would never consider signing one.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never worked in a job/field where one has been presented, but I don't believe I would sign one.
    I do understand the need for them however, and agree with top executives/higher-ups in a corporate food-chain signing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Do you agree with non-compete employment agreements? I've signed my first one when I started my new job this past month because I needed the job. But I feel like non-compete agreements should not exist. It gives the employer far too much control over a subordinate.
    Then don't sign one, problem solved. You willingly signed one, so whining about it after the fact is nothing more than trying to deny personal responsibility for your own actions.

- - - Updated - - -

My company offered a contract, but the client wanted a non-compete clause. I told them that there is no way I would sign such a thing, and that my indebtedness to them would end on the day I stopped working for them. If they want my business, great. If not, I will be just fine.

Sure, I could sign one. But in return I'd want CEO style golden parachutes and all the other bonuses they typically get. And to specify, billion dollar company style CEO bonuses, not local mom and pop style.

Or they could keep looking for someone who will sign it without getting any concessions in return.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Then don't sign one, problem solved. You willingly signed one, so whining about it after the fact is nothing more than trying to deny personal responsibility for your own actions.

- - - Updated - - -

My company offered a contract, but the client wanted a non-compete clause. I told them that there is no way I would sign such a thing, and that my indebtedness to them would end on the day I stopped working for them. If they want my business, great. If not, I will be just fine.
    I think the problem, like most of the free-market style scenarios you present around here, is that if everyone does them you are then forced to take them - they have far greater resources to outlast candidates who refuse to sign them. They'll always win that fight.

- - - Updated - - -

So having a conversation about something is now whining?

#IStandWithGinaCarano

It's in the company's interest so they want you to sign one. Sales people are another group that sign non competes, say you're a salesman who's worked for the company for years and you've brought in hundreds of customers, if you quit and took all your customers with you that would devastate the company. My guess is that it is the same at your new job, they don't want you to get friendly with all their best customers and then quit and start your own business stealing all their customers.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I think the problem, like most of the free-market style scenarios you present around here, is that if everyone does them you are then forced to take them - they have far greater resources to outlast candidates who refuse to sign them. They'll always win that fight.
    No, they won't always win that fight. The people trying to do it to me did not win that fight. Boycotts work. Period. Consumers have the power.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So having a conversation about something is now whining?
    It sure looked like shining to me. You are complaining about doing something willingly. You are quite literally complaining about something you agreed to do. Try some personal responsibility for a change.

No, they won't always win that fight. The people trying to do it to me did not win that fight. Boycotts work. Period. Consumers have the power.

- - - Updated - - -

It sure looked like shining to me. You are complaining about doing something willingly. You are quite literally complaining about something you agreed to do. Try some personal responsibility for a change.
    I mean, you can't just say "period." because it's not always one side has the power. It's a complex arrangement. Don't be naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    I mean, you can't just say "period." because it's not always one side has the power. It's a complex arrangement. Don't be naive.
    I said boycotts work, because they do. People should use them more often.

I said boycotts work, because they do. People should use them more often.
    In this situation, there really isn't a collective force. Often times, it's the desperate that will ruin your efforts, like a fresh student out of college.

In this situation, there really isn't a collective force. Often times, it's the desperate that will ruin your efforts, like a fresh student out of college.
    And in this case, he can simply work for someone else. He willingly made his own choice.

And in this case, he can simply work for someone else. He willingly made his own choice.
    If he can find work. Again, complex situation. Those that can should always boycott things they don't believe in. Not everyone can.

Deleted
    It is a tough one. On one hand I'd consider them a necessary evil, for companies to ensure that they won't bankroll a project, that the employees suddenly jump ship and sell to another company that buys it for a slick in comparison to your investment; or simply that you have in-depth knowledge of the projects within a company and can sell that information through a job at another company. On the other hand, it to some extend robs employees from garnering the fullest extend of payment for their productivity.

Ultimately, I think case by case is what I'd take it into consideration, because I know of a few examples that I'd consider bad, and some where it is a necessity.
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2018-02-18 at 02:09 PM.

Deleted
    I had one for my old job, which was weird considering it was retail... Don't have one for my current jobs. I don't really like non-compete agreements, but i need the job so i don't have any choice.

Depends where you live i guess. I am also in IT and here in Austria they are pretty common in that area. That doesn't mean they actually do anything. My girlfriend is a lawyer in that area, and 90% of the time the non-compete aggreement is defined so broad that it won't hold in court. Also, the personal need to have a job is given more weight than some arbitrary made up agreement. Pretty much the only way here for this to have any chance in court is if: 1) You go to a direct competitor in the narrowest sense(doing EXACTLY the same thing, not just in the area), 2) You have been a crucial asset in whatever you were doing (talk about you invented something, dealt with secret patents, etc) and would be doing something that requires exactly the same know-how at the competitor 3) you earned enought money and have no family to feed, so that you can afford being blocked from some jobs.

I don't know why people here keep those agreements in their contracts for normal employees. Funny thing is that if you are that important that such an agreement would actually work, you are probably important enough that the new company will pay you out of it. Breaching such an agreement is limited to 2-3 times the monthly salary if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Faldric; 2018-02-18 at 02:24 PM.

If he can find work. Again, complex situation. Those that can should always boycott things they don't believe in. Not everyone can.
    If there was no other work, then a no-compete clause doesn't do much. If there is, then he can find other work.