Page 1 of 2
LastLast

will we get any explanation about what led up to this war?

I hope they make some story campaign to explain why we went to war otherwise it wont make any sense.

I'm pretty sure they stated we would see the story play out in the pre-expansion events and cutscenes.

Edit: The question is will it actually be good storytelling or jumbled. That is yet to be seen

Deleted
    Pre-expansion events, cutscenes and the War Campaign Quesltine for your faction

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    I hope they make some story campaign to explain why we went to war otherwise it wont make any sense.
    They're probably going to release a story rich quest chain just like the Broken Shore one was.

It will make as much sense as people want it to.
    Some simply won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Likely a combo between the Before the Storm novel coming out in June, as well as pre-expansion lead up content. Or at least I hope that's how they'll do it. The biggest issue I had with the beginning of Draenor is that almost none of why we were going there was explained in game. It was basically all in the book before hand, and not everyone wants to read the books. So I really do hope they include pre-expansion stuff to explain it to the player base who haven't read the book. Since the game started as just that (a game) I think it's dumb for them to start removing parts of the story from the game and only putting it in the books. The players should be getting the same information in game, even if it's not at detailed as in the books.

I've said it before, but I absolutely HATE book-only lore. I'm buying a game, I'm paying a monthly sub, I do NOT want to drop $25 for a hardcover book and waste hours of my life reading someone's poor writing. I've read a few of these Warcraft books, and they were a real slog to get through, and certainly not worth the money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentsatellite View Post
    I do NOT want to drop $25 for a hardcover book and waste hours of my life reading someone's poor writing.
    Don't buy it?

7+ Year Old Account
    No, Blizzard never releases any pre expansion events or tie in media. /s

On a more serious note, this expansion might have a lot more connection than the others since they said 7.3.5 will start bridging Legion to BfA.
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that the Sylvanas/Varian issue on the shore was never resolved/cleared up probably plays a big-ass role in it. As far as they're concerned she betrayed them.

- - - Updated - - -

I've said it before, but I absolutely HATE book-only lore. I'm buying a game, I'm paying a monthly sub, I do NOT want to drop $25 for a hardcover book and waste hours of my life reading someone's poor writing. I've read a few of these Warcraft books, and they were a real slog to get through, and certainly not worth the money.
    Then don't?
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

7+ Year Old Account
    the story will be in the pre expansion book.
    and bits will be in the pre expansion event.

like always.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    The fact that the Sylvanas/Varian issue on the shore was never resolved/cleared up probably plays a big-ass role in it. As far as they're concerned she betrayed them.

- - - Updated - - -

Then don't?
    I don't? I haven't read the last like 3-4 of them, for sure.

The issue is there's major plotholes in the game without reading them, and I still have to read someone's summary of them to understand things.
    Which is *completely* stupid.
    If you're selling me a story driven game, that story needs to be IN the game. Supplemental stuff is totally fine, major plot points are not.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't? I haven't read the last like 3-4 of them, for sure.

The issue is there's major plotholes in the game without reading them, and I still have to read someone's summary of them to understand things.
    Which is *completely* stupid.
    If you're selling me a story driven game, that story needs to be IN the game. Supplemental stuff is totally fine, major plot points are not.
    Would be hard to put all the tie in media in the game, and people like nobbel usually do a pretty good and interesting summary of it. Of course, to get the most info you should always just read it for your self.

I'm all for tie in media, since a lot of story moments just can't be told in a MMO environment, or in a visual environment in general (which is why often movies aren't as good as books.
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

They literally announced the Christie Golden boon before Blizzcon that has in the description that it will tie together the events of Legion and BFA so we knew there would be lore connecting the 2 expacs.

But no, they'll say nothing and we'll war for no reason. That's the more sensible solution of course.

get the audiobook? I know you still have to "slog" through it but maybe it would be more interesting to you? i think all the other warcraft books are on audible.

Not before the expansion, because forums need fuel for fanboys on who start the war

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    Would be hard to put all the tie in media in the game, and people like nobbel usually do a pretty good and interesting summary of it. Of course, to get the most info you should always just read it for your self.

I'm all for tie in media, since a lot of story moments just can't be told in a MMO environment, or in a visual environment in general (which is why often movies aren't as good as books.
    I don't have a problem with tie in material, or at least all of it, and I actually really love when stuff can flesh out the backstories or the world effectively. When it's well written; which sadly the Warcraft books have not been. With all the money the company has to throw around, I have no idea why the can't get better caliber writers... unless the issue is better writers don't want to be tied to a video game.

But, I also think a line needs to be drawn where it's not okay to have major plot points, including major character deaths and introductions, happen essentially "off screen."
    An MMO is supposed to give me an immersive world for my character to "live" in, and having that world be tied to reading out-game materials just doesn't work for me.

It's a trend that for me extends to things like the Class Halls, too, where there was a ton of important story that was only available to certain classes. Locking more and more story out of the main game content destroys pretty much the only thing I'm still playing this game for (other than embarrassing addiction.)

Obviously weapons of mass destruction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure pre-patch will tell us.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The pre-expansion event will probably give the information in broad strokes, whereas details and specifics will be in the "Before the Storm" tie-in novel that will be released.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead