Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

What was your LEAST favorite Vanilla instance?

For me it would have to be LBRS. That place is just a headache each and every time... so long and so many ways things can go wrong. Probably the first instance where CC, focus fire, and group coordination and make up actually matter. Definitely a PuG killer.

Hard to say. I played Horde so I never did Gnomeregan before I was almost 60 (and even then it was just for the experience of doing it). Honestly, I guess it was maybe LBRS too? It was just really long and sloggy and didn't seem nearly as cool as the UBRS instance.

Strat live.... just boring, the bosses weren't interesting, Balnazzar should've been a tougher fight and the wing of strat in general just feels underwhelming.

15+ Year Old Account
    Kind of hard to choose. BRD, Maraudon and Uldaman were all too big and too confusing to navigate. I hate them all.

Gnomeregan because I was maining horde and had no experience with it, so the few times I did it I always got lost.

strat monastery run because it was boring and easy compared to baron timerun, ubrs, lbrs, brd or sholo

lbrs was a slog but I enjoyed how big it was and I grinded it a lot for that epic ring with the mana reg shield on my priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Maraudon. It felt like a maze back in the day when we didn't have any maps or anything. Plus the trash was beyond horrible, it literally took the team like 2-3 hours to clear.

Deleted
    For me LBRS. it had a "weird" stukture, and just really long, the diffeculties was all over the place, and the loot was not that good.

Stockades because it was too small and there was really nothing there. It really didnt convey the idea of a jail too effectively either. Seemed boring. Felt like the entire thing was drawn up and implemented in a weekend.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Stockades because it was too small and there was really nothing there. It really didnt convey the idea of a jail too effectively either. Seemed boring. Felt like the entire thing was drawn up and implemented in a weekend.

Totally agree, Stockade had no loot, a few quest that rewarded nothing except for the one starting in the Deadmines giving the Seal of Wrynn (or whatever was the english name for this) and felt like a huge "fuck you" compared to the dead mines in term of ambient / reward.

And I've always hated how the Stormwind Guard could never handle 20 or less outlaw with a plank or a rusty knife.

I never really liked the Vanilla dungeons. Except the Dire Mauls, I really liked doing those. The others were terrible TBH. What was the long ass one called - Blackrock something ... the one where that Direbrew Tavern and the guy who used to drop the Barman Shanker dagger are located. I probably hated that fucking thing the most.

I started loving dungeons in TBC. They were such a massive improvement compared to Vanilla, and also became way more attractive with the addition of the whole heroic system. It went steadily uphill from there, but in original WoW, dungeons were ass.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Stockades felt really unrewarding and boring.

I really enjoyed Maraudon, DM, BRD, UBRS and LBRS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody is going to mention Uldaman because it's literally been burned from our collective memories, like a traumatic experience. Screw that place.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Mara, mainly. ST wasn't great either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Nobody is going to mention Uldaman because it's literally been burned from our collective memories, like a traumatic experience. Screw that place.
    Nah it's not here cause the thread is about dungeons considered bad, and Uld was amazing! come on, it was the Indiana Jones istance, nothing Indy related can be ever bad! (Aside the empire of the evil fridge... or skull? or crystal fridge? i don't remember, i'm not even sure that movie actually exist, maybe a nightmare?)

Jokes aside (well I in fact liked Uld, but i rispect your opinion) I think i'll go with Stockades. Even considering it's a normal city prison, as it's been said it felt like they spent two hours on it...

And LBRS... i mean, the map was too much convoluted and messed up for a game that had no dungeon maps...
    but you see, from my point of view the real issue with most of the istances i didn't like... is that. LBRS, and even more other istances like Maraudon (but not to that degree!) would have been more enjoyable if at least it wasn't a nightmare just to navigate them... we needed the dungeon maps in those times, not like a decade after! xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurdim View Post
    Nah it's not here cause the thread is about dungeons considered bad, and Uld was amazing! come on, it was the Indiana Jones istance, nothing Indy related can be ever bad!
    Are you thinking Uldum, maybe? Where Harrison Jones is, and you go through the ancient temple?

I'm talking about the one with the head-height cave network and a bunch of troggs. The place you could never finish because each person had a quest for some other, optional part of the dungeon (hell, half my groups didn't even know there was a second half). The one where you'd fight your way into a cave area, only to realize it dead ends at a quest you don't have.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

BRD was my most loathed dungeon in Vanilla; not for the aesthetic, or mobs, just the pure fact that there was way too much going on in one instance. There was at least a dozen quests that involved going in there; no one ever fully cleared it, you basically had to bicker about which route and which quests your group was going to undertake in that run and 75% of the time someone dropped after they finished their quest objective or didn't get the drop off a particular boss. Then it was either call it or try and find a replacement and wait for them to get there and reclear trash back at the beginning so you could meet up, overall it was a nightmare. It would have benefited greatly by being split up like SM or at the very least have different "entrances" like Mauradon or Dire Maul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

Deleted
    nope, i know what i'm talking about, Uldaman :P Indiana Jones not cause Harrison was in there (i don't think... you know now i have the doubt, but i think he didn't even exist back then...) but it was all about you going archaeologist in a recently unearthed Titan facility... and there was the thing of the Staff, you used to open a door by putting it in a scale model of the ancient side, exactly like in Raiders of the Lost Ark...

i understand your reasons, i don't say i didn't find these things annoying at the times, but dungeon-crawling was basically that xD and honestly when you say that, you can apply those things to like EVERY istance in classic So no, long story short i actually liked it. The truth is that in my experience (and i think the one of many) istances could be partially boring or totally, partially too hard or totally, but usually the real annoying part or boring part of a istance was... NOT even the istance, but rather unfortunate companies (like jerks or lobotomized people) and spending aeons to find people and strolling through the whole world to even get to the place (that was patrolled usually by huge elites, and if you remember in Classic the shiny gold dragon icon meant you had to run, if you were alone, not like now, when feels like most elites bought the status in the in-game shop xD)

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Possibly Blackfathom Deeps (BFD).

Almost never did that dungeon, even less then Gnomeregan, as Alliance.

Yes it was close to NightElf Land, but I know many people who played NightElf moved to Human zones.
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-02-19 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Are you thinking Uldum, maybe? Where Harrison Jones is, and you go through the ancient temple?

I'm talking about the one with the head-height cave network and a bunch of troggs. The place you could never finish because each person had a quest for some other, optional part of the dungeon (hell, half my groups didn't even know there was a second half). The one where you'd fight your way into a cave area, only to realize it dead ends at a quest you don't have.
    Did you never summon Ironaya? The staff and the medal combination with the miniature city were a direct reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Edit: Also, Lost Vikings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasttey View Post
    Did you never summon Ironaya? The staff and the medal combination with the miniature city were a direct reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark.
    Honestly didn't even click with me (and haven't seen the movie in like 15+ years >.> )

Yeah, I just hated that it took forever to get done and the first half with the cave was just awful.

But yeah, BRD was awful for that too. Too big, too much, and rarely a need to finish. The WORST was actually checking at the start "Are you all able to clear to the end?" and everyone gives a thumbs up

And then the tank drops at magmus or the chest council or the torch room and you're just like "Welp there goes that four hours"