Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Has gaming media already written off the xbox?

So a couple of articles pointed something out to me that is one of those 'can't unsee deals' lately. Right up to release Microsoft was pushing their console revision 'The Xbox One' hard. Its a product for their brand so of course they would right? but the release came and went in November last year with lots of articles and news pieces stating sales were not good outside the launch month and "Spencer expects to make back costs on peripherals and games sales" and after that? nothing. Every game site i visit has basically reduced their Xbox coverage to "heres another sea of thieves article" or "pubg is still broken" and thats about it. On social media it appears none existent and i have never seen one in a local game store since they only stock them online.

So what do you think happened? before its release everywhere was hyping it up as "the chance to revive the brand" and "2018 will be the year of xbox one" and here we are 4 months later and its like the console doesnt exist.

The only thing i could assume is that they still didn't catch up to the PS4 and this has been compounded by the Nintendo Switch being a far, far better seller than anyone expected in a very short time. Maybe its just not reported on much anymore because, to be blunt, the audience at large doesn't care? since its reveal half a decade ago now the 'xbone' brand has been nothing but bad press time and time again and now seems to have the reputation as "the worst sequels in all its unique ips, but it plays 4k blu rays tho!" and after the media darling of the xbox 360 it looks like its getting harder and harder for this brand to save face as younger kids are going hard into Nintendo again and the older crowd already made their choices for this gen.

Have you noticed the media giving up on it? what do you think MS can do in 2018 to try and keep it chugging along?

Well, Xbox is barely doing anything. The only games they had that I was slightly interested in was Scalebound, and they cancelled that. They have no exclusives of interest at all. Meanwhile the PS4 has a couple of good exclusives, especially in the JRPG genre, and they have also pushed their VR hard. The Switch is doing damn well, and have a lot of great games coming out at a steady pace, and upcoming games that people are looking forward to (like the Pokemon game). Heck, I am pretty sure that the Switch has had more good exclusives by now, compared to the Xbox one.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Have you noticed the media giving up on it? what do you think MS can do in 2018 to try and keep it chugging along?
    I wouldn't say the media has giving up on it. But due to a lack of releases it is radio silent when it comes to MS/Xbox. In my opinion Microsoft bowed out of the console market and became a platform like Steam.

Sea of Thieves is getting some attention but that's going to be a very niche game and since you can get it for $10 with the Xbox Games Pass that has pissed off some smaller retail stores. Microsoft needs some exclusive big IP releases THIS YEAR and Sea of Thieves,Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2 are not going to cut it.

Hell only reason I own a XboxOne is due to the handful of exclusives that has released and now that its BC with both 360 and Original.

To be honest the fact we are already seeing deals with the XboxOneX is quite telling. Also at the rate The Switch is selling there is a realistic chance it will outsell the XboxOne in the near future.

Xbox needs some actual exclusives, Mine is boxed up until It gets more.

Ill wait for the usual people to come in and call me a fanboy.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2018-02-19 at 10:45 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Aside from PC, I cannot see myself owning a Microsoft console. Its not that I see the Xbox as good as PS4 or Switch, its why bother when I already have a PC that can play the same games that Xbox can. And yes, I have a PC, PS4 and a Switch with a hefty amount of games that I had an interest in purchasing, never really felt that way with Xbox.

To add to what I said early'er, Microsoft has done some pro-consumer thing's (Like the game pass) but between that and everything being on PC no one really has a reason to buy a XboxOne. They just announced that all future exclusive titles will be on the Game Pass day 1 and you can pay for and play the pass on PC.

Only so many people are going to give a dam about playing 360/Original games on one system.

Fun Fact: The XboxOne requires gold membership to play games online but you can play the same game (Gears 4 for example) online on PC for free.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    No reason to own an Xbox anymore. I feel like the PS4 is the definitive console on this gen, Nintendo will always have its niche, Microsoft rather tell everyone how much the Xbox is similar to the PC than build up the Xbox hardware brand.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Gaming pc and ps4 is a better combo.

15+ Year Old Account
    What i think happened is there's no games for it so what's to cover?

10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't be surprising. I don't know what Microsoft is doing because it's like they totally abandoned their system. Either that or they don't know what to do with it. They have little to no exclusives and most of their exclusives have been on going series like Gears of War and Halo, they just keep milking them to death. The fact that Cuphead was named Xbox's game of the year tells you everything.

At this point you have to be stupid to pick an Xbox one over a PS4. It's not even a fanboy thing anymore PS4 simply has more games than Xbox One and it seems Sony cares more for the gamers than Microsoft does. Microsoft wanted to turn their system into some kind of TV box while restricting it's gaming uses while Sony was focusing on games and the gamers. That should also tell you something. I have no respect for Microsoft's Xbox department. You can tell they're just a bunch of businessmen and women who care very little and know nothing about video games and only care about making money.

I wouldn't say Sony is for the gamers...they turned down services that are super gamer friendly.

With that said, PS4 basically won this generation already...simply because MS continues to just buy IPs for exclusivity instead of getting new studios or having their current studios create new IPs

10+ Year Old Account
    While Sony has done some practices that i frown on (blocking crossplay for no reason) i still say they are the superior console platform. Yeah X1X is technically the most powerful, but whats the point of power if you have zero titles. I personally hope that the next Console cycle is Microsoft's last console cycle. Give them one more shot, then they should go to full time development of software instead of hardware. That or the Xbox division will be sold off, and that might be a good thing as well.

I have a X1X that my wife got for free, and it is still in the box, mostly because there has not been title to launch for Xbox recently that i have been interested in. Id rather just play PC or PS4 depending on the game.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Believe I read somewhere that both Google and Razer plan on entering the console market so Microsoft going to have even more competition to contend with

Microsoft simply didn't follow up the Xbox One X with any games. If there are no first party titles that take advantage of the power, there is 0 reason to have it. Sure you can maybe increase AA on some Multiplatform titles but overall its nothing to write about.

I honestly don't know what their strategy was with the Xbox One X . They earn nothing on hardware sales, and they didn't follow the release up with titles to earn money. Seems like the Xbox One X was a desparation move because PS4 was already miles ahead and the Pro would have given them another edge. Guess it was too late to turn this game around by earning the performance crown.

Will be interesting what happens once new generation rumors start to pile up.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    While Sony has done some practices that i frown on (blocking crossplay for no reason)
    The reason is because Microsoft wants it to be on there servers (and control everything) with a opt out option.

Sony has always done Cross-Play and has done it for far longer than Xbox, Don't believe the Phil Spencer PR bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    The reason is because Microsoft wants it to be on there servers (and control everything) with a opt out option.

Sony has always done Cross-Play and has done it for far longer than Xbox, Don't believe the Phil Spencer PR bullshit.
    Im not really talking about the Minecraft example, im talking about 3rd party crossplay. Sony has made it clear they want to avoid it because they "can't control the play enviroment, and make sure it is safe for others" or something along those lines. In this day in age, it is pretty sad when the hardware is virtually the same but because neither of them wants to budge an inch. Microsoft as at least somewhat improved crossplay with Nintendo and PC, but Sony is strictly staying in their walled garden.

- - - Updated - - -

Dont get me wrong @Jtbrig7390, i am as Pro Sony as they come, i just think the lack of crossplay this generation is miserable all across the board. It is pathetic i have to have a friend sell his Xbox so he can play Monster Hunter with me lol.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I think consoles in general are seeing a downturn as PC gaming becomes a more popular alternative. Even Sony has a streaming service for their products on PC.

They've had their golden age, now they're lagging behind significantly in terms of technology and game developers seem to be pushing the boundaries of what a console is capable of more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Microsoft simply didn't follow up the Xbox One X with any games. If there are no first party titles that take advantage of the power, there is 0 reason to have it. Sure you can maybe increase AA on some Multiplatform titles but overall its nothing to write about.

I honestly don't know what their strategy was with the Xbox One X . They earn nothing on hardware sales, and they didn't follow the release up with titles to earn money. Seems like the Xbox One X was a desparation move because PS4 was already miles ahead and the Pro would have given them another edge. Guess it was too late to turn this game around by earning the performance crown.

Will be interesting what happens once new generation rumors start to pile up.
    This is about it isn't it.

Was checking a local store yesterday and thinking ''which xbox game would I like to buy and play'' and the conclusion I drew was ''not a single one'' since evevery game is available on either the PS4 or PC while at the same time some games aren't even available on the XBox.

Microsoft fucked up this gen. For some magic reason Microsoft decided to make the Xbox more expensive then the PS4 which is the exact same mistake Sony did with the PS3 (PS3 didn't catch up on sales till the very end) added that you don't really have any special games on the console itself the console is kind of a waste of space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Microsoft just hasn't really released anything of note lately. Their games are either mediocre or not really exciting. Oh hey guys there's a new Forza and it's great. Like that's cool and all but there isn't really much to talk about in the way of a new racing game sequel. Unlike with Sony where you can discuss the narrative of their games, even if they are a sequel.

Microsoft really needs to figure something out. They're not really producing quality new IPs like Sony is and their existing franchises are past their prime unlike Nintendo.

I'm not a Microsoft hater either. The 360 was my main console for most of last gen. I'm just calling it like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Im not really talking about the Minecraft example, im talking about 3rd party crossplay. Sony has made it clear they want to avoid it because they "can't control the play enviroment, and make sure it is safe for others" or something along those lines. In this day in age, it is pretty sad when the hardware is virtually the same but because neither of them wants to budge an inch. Microsoft as at least somewhat improved crossplay with Nintendo and PC, but Sony is strictly staying in their walled garden.

- - - Updated - - -

Dont get me wrong @Jtbrig7390, i am as Pro Sony as they come, i just think the lack of crossplay this generation is miserable all across the board. It is pathetic i have to have a friend sell his Xbox so he can play Monster Hunter with me lol.
    But you're wrong, that is just PR fluff again thrown out by Sony.

The FFXIV director let the cat out of the bag on why Sony will not support any crossplay that involves Xbox period. The reason is MS requires the option to only play with XBL users, aka they want the best of both worlds.

Sony has been doing crossplay since the PS2 days, they're just not going to do them on MSs terms and MS has no leverage to try and make demands on how it happens.

Meanwhile MS is spending all this PR money to fly around Phil Spencer to blow smoke up peoples asses, while Sony is spending money... actually... making... games. How about Nintendo? Also spending money developing games. Xbox division... well we have a few GAAS titles coming out that are $60 purchases with micro transactions... please be excited we put a large emphasis on games!

Which one is better for gamers? I'll take games over the guy who talks about putting an emphasis on games with nothing to show for it.

Sony and Nintendo are schooling MS, because MS thinks they're some AAA 3rd party and only cares about releasing a few souless MP games and how they can monetize them after release. Meanwhile Sony and Nintendo are more then content to release single player games that both sell systems and turn a profit for them. Sony in particular lets the 3rd parties take care of the GAAS end for them, as they get a 30% cut on everything even if it is 3rd party.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-02-19 at 08:28 PM.

This is what happens when you try and push DRM on people. Then gut it, but leave the remnants of it in your console still. People play console because its fast, it's easy and to the point. If you add anything to complicate that, you've just produced a dud. Xbox has likely written off the one like sony did the vita and focusing all their energy into a new console with better marketing.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.