Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    We can not at this time the way we do it now, I've told you this 3 times now. my excuses to the rest of the forum but apparently didactic needs it like this WE COULD ONLY CURRENTLY DO IT IF WE MADE IT OUR SOLE PRIORITY TO FEED EVERYONE..
    I mean, okay. But you're still wrong.

You're underestimating just how productive modern agricultural techniques actually are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    If you knowingly take a job as a pregnant woman and don't tell the person hiring that you are pregnant you have a shitty moral compass and would be seen as abusing the system.
    No, it's not something they need to know and it would in fact be illegal for them to inquire about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    Clearly there is no possibility of birth control failing but you actually want to have a child, right?

Obviously there is zero possibility that such an event might happen while you are seeking new employment, right?

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, he's arguing semantics, but you are flat wrong.

We CAN feed the entire world given current technology. We CHOOSE not to due to profit motives.
    So that means that our current system can not do this.

Clearly there is no possibility of birth control failing but you actually want to have a child, right?

Obviously there is zero possibility that such an event might happen while you are seeking new employment, right?
    Every woman aside from maybe one I have known in the working world sees being pregnant as an excuse to not work hard or not work at all and expect others to wait hand and foot on them. You are pregnant not crippled, and if you don't have money put aside for the possibility of something like that you are irresponsible and placing more burdens on society.

Because Women totally don't have the ability to plan their lives out properly and prepare to have a child in a responsible manner like an intelligent human? No Women are all dumb right?
    So you can't need to make money if you're pregnant?

- - - Updated - - -

Every woman aside from maybe one I have known in the working world sees being pregnant as an excuse to not work hard or not work at all and expect others to wait hand and foot on them. You are pregnant not crippled, and if you don't have money put aside for the possibility of something like that you are irresponsible and placing more burdens on society.
    That's those specific individuals problem, not something applicable to all women.

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    No, it's not something they need to know and it would in fact be illegal for them to inquire about it.
    An employer should not be able to deny someone a job based on it but you should be transparent.

An employer should not be able to deny someone a job based on it but you should be transparent.
    They have no reason to know about that part of your personal life, the only thing that matters is if you are able to fulfill the requirements to do your job.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I mean, okay. But you're still wrong.

You're underestimating just how productive modern agricultural techniques actually are.
    No im not, you are underestimating peoples greed. Having the food is one thing, having it where its needed is another. Our system simply is not build to feed everyone, it is build to make money. And is such a system we can not maintain our current levels of living standard over in the west and spread it to the rest of the world, there simply isn't enough of everything to go around.

My wife worked PAST HER DUE DATE with both children. Her water broke at work with our second.

She is a grocery store florist, and is solely responsible for unloading, processing, pricing, and merchandising all of her own product. Unpacking large numbers of crates. Lifting boxes in excess of 50 pounds. Stacking bundles of firewood. Watering outdoor plants regardless of heat or cold. Hauling in ALL of her outdoor product at night when it is cold. Without any assistance from any other employees. When she asked for assistance from her manager to move a ~100 pound wooden display rack (8ft long, multiple heavy wooden shelves), she was scoffed at, her manager rolled his eyes, and he got a guy from the produce department to move it. My wife was not asking anyone to do the work for her, it was a "Hey lift the other end of this obscenely heavy thing so I don't violate OSHA policies and/or give myself a hernia."

She could kick the everloving shit out of me, and most men that I have met.

Your anecdotal experience is worth exactly zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Deleted
    My wife worked PAST HER DUE DATE with both children. Her water broke at work with our second.

She is a grocery store florist, and is solely responsible for unloading, processing, pricing, and merchandising all of her own product. Unpacking large numbers of crates. Lifting boxes in excess of 50 pounds. Stacking bundles of firewood. Watering outdoor plants regardless of heat or cold. Hauling in ALL of her outdoor product at night when it is cold. Without any assistance from any other employees. When she asked for assistance from her manager to move a ~100 pound wooden display rack (8ft long, multiple heavy wooden shelves), she was scoffed at, her manager rolled his eyes, and he got a guy from the produce department to move it. My wife was not asking anyone to do the work for her, it was a "Hey lift the other end of this obscenely heavy thing so I don't violate OSHA policies and/or give myself a hernia."

She could kick the everloving shit out of me, and most men that I have met.

Your anecdotal experience is worth exactly zero.
    So, that means that your anecdotal experience is worth exactly zero as well..

10+ Year Old Account
    No im not, you are underestimating peoples greed. Having the food is one thing, having it where its needed is another. Our system simply is not build to feed everyone, it is build to make money.
    Which is precisely what I said to start with. Glad to know you're in agreement.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

So, that means that your anecdotal experience is worth exactly zero as well..
    Kind of the entire point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    3) In the long term, the US population needs to either grow or at least not decline strongly to keep the economy going. This requires women to give birth to children.
    You are absolutely correct that capitalism pretty much requires the first two statements to be true. However, the third one is often forgotten, mostly because humans are notoriously bad at looking beyond their own life-span. However, statement three is also true (especially if one wishes to have little immigration, but that would go OT). As such, in order to ensure long-term growth in the US, a great deal of women are simply required to both work and to give birth at some point.
    I don't think you take into account the automation that is soon upon us. Technology is advancing much faster than you think. Self driving cars, personal assistants, robot chefs/bartenders, you name it. We will witness in our lifetime things we can't even imagine

All predictors indicate a huge loss of jobs. Economy does not need millions of unemployed people. Thus, your statement is -ironically- short sighted and you don't even look inside your own life-span. Natural reduction of population should be the priority (thankfully in most advanced countries it is already happening, births are lower than deaths)
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    22-35

/10char
    At least you're being honest about discriminating against young women.

Uhhhhhhh, there is not at all an equal likelihood of that happening.
    What's the likelihood of a woman getting pregnant within a few months/a year of getting a new job, then?

Deleted
    Which is precisely what I said to start with. Glad to know you're in agreement.
    You just left out the other bit that disagreed with you.. Not everyone on this earth can live like people in western civilization with our current level of technology, that is still unsustainable. There is just no way to actually feed everyone without stepping away from our current way of doing things, like capitalism.

10+ Year Old Account
    When did I say I supported this exactly?
    Should have added an /s, apologies.

10+ Year Old Account
    You just left out the other bit that disagreed with you.. Not everyone on this earth can live like people in western civilization with our current level of technology, that is still unsustainable
    I hear this repeated a lot, but it continually comes down to what is 'standard practice' as opposed to what is feasible within the limits of current technology.

So, no. You're still wrong.

There is just no way to actually feed everyone without stepping away from our current way of doing things, like capitalism.
    Also wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    More than the likelihood of a woman suddenly getting sick with the flu and being out of work for as long as a pregnancy/post-pregnancy leave would last.
    The qualifier presented was risk assessment of productivity, which is pretty difficult to gauge considering the array of factors that go into productivity; factors like illness.

But hey, I'm sure in our late capitalist hellscape we won't be too far off requiring a personal health assessment before hire.

Deleted
    I hear this repeated a lot, but it continually comes down to what is 'standard practice' as opposed to what is feasible within the limits of current technology.

So, no. You're still wrong.

Also wrong.
    Yea no, again, only when you make it our sole priority to feed everyone could it be done. It just isn't feasible with the way we do things, as long as things go the for profit way this can and will never change.

And saying that someone is wrong isn't and argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea no, again, only when you make it our sole priority to feed everyone could it be done.
    You keep repeating this, but it does not make it remotely correct. It doesn't have to be our 'sole' priority.

It just isn't feasible with the way we do things, as long as things go the for profit way this can and will never change.
    You're not exactly contradicting me here.

And saying that someone is wrong isn't and argument.
    Neither is presenting consistently incorrect information, oddly enough.