What To Upgrade?

Hey guys. I'm running into some problems with WoW running at 10fps in raids/greater invasions. This never used to be the case when I raided in Nighthold, but after taking a break and coming back I've been having major framerate drops even with the lowest settings and no add ons. I'm guessing this is a hardware issue, so I'm wondering what I can upgrade that will have the biggest performance increase. I'm quite new to pc upgrades so forgive my ignorance.

CPU: i7 860 @ 2.8GHz
    Motherboard: ASUS P7H55-M
    RAM: 8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card: Nvidea GTX 750 Ti
    Operating System: Windows 10
    Hard Drive: SSD

Well if it ran ok b4 it should still run mostly the same, did you check your temperatures?

If you want to upgrade I would advise new CPU, mobo and RAM and if your power supply is as old as your other parts, I would replace that one too.

Now as what to get that will depend on your budget and what games other then wow you intend to play.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.89 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($184.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $743.74
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-20 21:39 EST-0500

Should be a huge upgrade from what you currently have, if it's above budget we can revise it. I also threw in a new case so you have USB 3.0 front panel access in case your current one does not support that.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    From what I understand it sounds like Intel remembered their H310, B360 and H370 boards since they're now slowly leaking in to the Asian market so fingers crossed they'll see a North American release, uh, sometime. On top of that, the i5-8500 and 8600 should be showing up on retailers which will provide a slightly higher base clock along with turbo over the 8400.

If history remains then the 8500 should have the most favorable price to performance of the three non-k series if overclocking isn't something you're comfortable with much like in Kaby Lake and Sky Lake so paired with a B360 or even an H310 you're looking to save a bunch of money without compromising much performance. Throw in a modest 620w M12II Evo PSU and you're pretty much ready to go but I'd still recommend an H7 if only because MCE is can make things hot assuming it'll work on non-z series boards.

Leaves you with some money to put towards the kidney surgery to buy a new graphics card.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2018-02-21 at 03:37 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Well if it ran ok b4 it should still run mostly the same, did you check your temperatures?

If you want to upgrade I would advise new CPU, mobo and RAM and if your power supply is as old as your other parts, I would replace that one too.

Now as what to get that will depend on your budget and what games other then wow you intend to play.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.89 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($184.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $743.74
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-20 21:39 EST-0500

Should be a huge upgrade from what you currently have, if it's above budget we can revise it. I also threw in a new case so you have USB 3.0 front panel access in case your current one does not support that.
    Wow that's an awesome website. Thanks for the in depth list of recommendations! So is it safe to say that a CPU upgrade would be have a bigger impact than a GPU upgrade for me?

I found this 20 page thread complaining about the same issues I've been having since I came back to the game so maybe my issue isn't hardware after all?
    https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...782176?page=20

Either way I think it's time to invest in some upgrades so I appreciate the recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
    Wow that's an awesome website. Thanks for the in depth list of recommendations! So is it safe to say that a CPU upgrade would be have a bigger impact than a GPU upgrade for me?

I found this 20 page thread complaining about the same issues I've been having since I came back to the game so maybe my issue isn't hardware after all?
    https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...782176?page=20

Either way I think it's time to invest in some upgrades so I appreciate the recommendations.
    Wow depends a lot on the CPU and a lot less on the GPU, now in all honesty, you could use a new GPU also, but due to the cryptocurrency craze they are mostly out of stock or at ridiculous prices, not to mention that Nvidia may launch some new ones in a couple of months.

So I would wait for the dust to settle there unless you can find one for msrp, but your old one should still be adequate for 60fps at 1080p.