Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Gaming became mainstream

Remember when people saw you as a freak if you played video games in 2000s, and now it became mainstream especially multiplayer games.

Do you think it's better now or is it bad?

I don't remember anyone freaking out when I and the other half dozen kids gathered around the TV and waited our turn for the controller to play Donkey Kong Country 2, or the countless hours I spent in front of the N64 while family was over, or when asked "what do I do for fun" and I respond with "I play video games".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emberex View Post
    Remember when people saw you as a freak if you played video games in 2000s, and now it became mainstream especially multiplayer games.

Nope, I don't usually remember things that didn't happen.

Been playing games since the 80's and early 90's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gaming became more mainstream with the release of the PSX and the following three years.

The 16-bit consoles drove assloads of sales as well.
    Last edited by Usagi Senshi; 2018-05-10 at 09:56 PM.

Posts like this make me feel like an old man...

"Back in my day 2000s..."

Home Gaming literally became mainstream in the 90s. Arcade Gaming was already a mainstream thing in the 80s.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Posts like this make me feel like an old man...

"Back in my day 2000s..."

Home Gaming literally became mainstream in the 90s. Arcade Gaming was already a mainstream thing in the 80s.
    Didn't know, in my country it became pretty mainstream in 2010's because of League of Legends.

Gotta go back even further than that for me but even then I had a pretty big group of friend who all played games, no one really bothered us, maybe some people looked at us funny but trying to make fun of us would have been stupid as we had the numbers.

But there's way less shit on gamers today and it's a good thing.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Games have been mainstream for kids for a while.
    Adults that play games are behind in acceptance but not by much.
    Ily mmoc

Little bit more and people might not assume gamers are devil worshipers or future murderous lunatics. There was that weird blip on the radar where the media tried to say gamers were woman-hating rapists but unlike the "DnD players are satanists" phase, that one almost immediately died out so that's nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    The media did not try to say that, gamers proved that all on their own.
    Except when the various gaming journal dipshits keep getting caught in lies and constantly devouring each other up. Yes this is 100% on Kotaku and many others for perpetrating lies and misconceptions en masse. Kotaku being on its last legs finally is a wonderful thing. All of those lying, pandering, and circle-jerking pricks don't deserve to work in the industry anymore.

The current Kunkel Awards asshattery with Jason and the Fucknut Gang further illustrates that GG was in the right to call out their bullshit years ago.

I think a person's perception on this subject will depend heavily how they were raised. Mom and Dad were very conservative and Christian so I got the lectures about how Pokemon is just short for pocket demons, The Legend of Zelda series perpetrated witchcraft, and Mario encouraged drug use. Compared to last week where Mom asked me about the Illidan novel I explained to her it was about a bunch of elves eating the hearts of demons and gouging their eyes out in order to destroy the endless army of demons threatening their home world. She nodded, said that sounded cool and borrowed it. So to me, personally, I would say it's become much more accepted outside of the gaming communities I spend time with.

However, if you were born into a more tolerant family then maybe you never got the lectures about pocket demons and your family just let you do your thing. If that was your upbringing then it might not seem like it's changed much.

Gaming was already mainstream in the UK in the early 1990s, everyone in school had either a Mega Drive or a Super Nintendo and it was a common talking point in the schoolyard. Like literally every kids house I went to as a child had either a Sega or a Nintendo, not to mention my older brother and his friends (who were hardly geeks, my brother was a party animal who joined the army and served as commando infantry), and that was before the Playstation where it blew up even more.

Nope I'd say gaming became mainstream in the the 1990s, mid 1990s at the latest.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Been playing since Atari. No one ever freaked out when they found out I played games.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its still hard to find people to talk to it about because i dont play fortnite or skyrim

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Its still hard to find people to talk to it about because i dont play fortnite or skyrim
    Ewwww normies.

gaming was already mainstream in the 2000s lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Gaming is in a weird place. It’s mainstream but the industry has business practices that would be unthinkable in any other business. I’m glad people are finally sick of it but from the outside it’s still seen somewhat as a refuge for the anti-social and thus its problems are brushed off by the public at large.

I started gaming in the 80's...

Gamer's are the same toxic shit bags they always were, although subject matter changed, its just worst now because you can't beat people up over the internet.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Ewwww normies.
    I mean pretty much. They ask if i play games, then ask if i play fortnite, i say no and then the conversation ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I mean pretty much. They ask if i play games, then ask if i play fortnite, i say no and then the conversation ends.
    I'd love to play more games, but these new games, like fortnite, I just don't understand wtf makes them fun.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.