Deleted

lord of the rings online, is it worth?

hey guys,

"simple question"

is lotro worth playing? from a wow player perspective, (progress raider)?

im a HUGE fan of the middle earth story, characters and also the whole genre "high fantasy".
    simply never made the step into lotro, so is it worth playing and what do i need to buy for that?

e.g expansions and stuff.

thanks for your advice guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    It's free to play to a certain point iirc. Play it and decide for yourself if it's worth spending money on.

I played it at launch for a few months. It was decent but never had the pulling power of the juggernaut wow has become. Since turbine have taken over they have put the game essentially into maintenence mode I believe so no further development etc. I could be wrong though as its been years since I last read anything about it.

The game itself is decent and the story is solid. Worth having a go for free but I'd urge caution on spending on it due to a small player base.
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!

Its aged tremendously and in the last few years has had a few 'how long does it have left' issues out of the devs control. Its not a bad WoW clone but its tremendously dated and if you aren't a big tolkein nut its not going to pull you in.

If you are just understand its an adaptation of the books, not the films.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy cow I thought they shut the servers down years ago...wow.

I really liked that Bards (or I guess anyone with an instrument) could play music. I frequently would go to the AH and there would be someone playing awesome music.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are updating the old zones in the game to bring em to the same level of quality as the new ones, Breeland just got an update. So at least the devs are somewhat still working on it

If you prefer story-heavy and well written MMORPG in extremely immersive and massive world that still offers varied gameplay (meaningful professions etc.) it's a game for you. And most of all is faithful representation of Tolkien's works.

You can find this out yourself though as the game is free entirely up to level 30-40 and the main storyline called Epic Books that leads you through the fellowship story but from perspective of following their trail is free for the length of the original game which if I remember correctly is 50-60 levels worth of game.

The combat can at first feel a bit unwieldy because it's not the WoW style of button spamming and works more like rhytm game in a sense that there's certain tempo you keep hitting your abilities but once you get hang of it it's quite functional even if not the best of all.

All in all I'd highly recommend to at least try it.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    I played it before, I loved the player housing and the bard class was fun, if you try to solo certain areas you will get your ass handed to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrak View Post
    from a wow player perspective, (progress raider)?
    Tbh, not 100% sure what do you mean by "progress raider" but afaik the only other MMO except WOW that has big enough raiding community to support it is Final Fantasy: Realm Reborn.

You can play many MMOs for cool factors like story, immersion, crafting, housing, unique combat, pvp, economy, visuals, solo content and whatnot, but raiding is something that won't go well in games that are old, have small playerbase or limited dev support.

i am going to try it pretty soon so i'll let you know